IGNORED

Brake pad replacement

Paul In Australia

Paul In Australia

Quick question on rear brake pad replacement r1200rt 2013.

I have yet to ride the bike but the rear wheel is now pretty tight to roll by hand in neutral.

How tight is too tight and solution? Or is this normal on this bike after rear pad change?

Too give you an idea when attempting to spin by hand you will only get about one third of a wheel full revolution?

Regards

Paul

Paul In Australia

took the bike for a short ride. Fair bit more radial movement now. The rotors were very hot to touch for a while. Will ride some more tomorrow. Think it was just tight. checked fluid lel in reservoir and removed a little with a paper towel.

I think I might have been a bit over sensitive.

regards

Paul

Hi Paul.

Chances are your caliper is stuck on its sliding pins. Excess grease can cause this, but the most common cause (at least in our riding weather) is the pins will rust.

Since there are no spare parts available, you have two alternatives: either fit a new caliper and bracket (expensive even when buying used parts) or remove the bracket, clean the pins and polish them. Chances are only one pin will be rusted.

It's a pig of a job the first time you do it: expect it to take at least one hour. Afterwards it's eminently advisable to check the pins at least once a year (depending on your mileage).

Archived