IGNORED

Any tricks to attach the headlight retaining spring?

ryan_ca1

I bought an LED H7 replacement kit, and removed the headlight bulb, and immediately discovered my kit would not fit. This took about 5 minutes. I then spent the next two hours trying to get the retaining spring hooked again. I'm reaching in from under the front tire, but no matter what I try, I cannot get it hooked. Giving up for the night.

Are there any tips / tricks to get the damn thing hooked up again?

I also had a hard time replacing the H-7 low beam bulb on my 14 RT. The biggest problem was not being able to see what I was doing. I finally got it but I think I pretty much buggered up the left clip so any helpful tricks would be welcome. Even though it may be a warranty item (not sure) and could have had the dealer do it, I wanted to know how to do it in case it ever went out on the road. I hope I don’t have to replace it again anytime soon.

I bought an LED H7 replacement kit, and removed the headlight bulb, and immediately discovered my kit would not fit. This took about 5 minutes. I then spent the next two hours trying to get the retaining spring hooked again. I'm reaching in from under the front tire, but no matter what I try, I cannot get it hooked. Giving up for the night.

Are there any tips / tricks to get the damn thing hooked up again?

Which H7 LED kit? Do you have a link to where you got it from?

BTDT. The #1 reason when I've experienced problems re-clipping that retaining spring: thinking the bulb base was fully seated, but it actually wasn't.

IF properly seated, the spring legs move under the retaining hooks pretty easily.

The LED kit was the speedmetal LED kit from CycleGear. It was much too long, with a fan attached to the back of it. I hadn't looked at the bike closely before I bought it. Oh well.

I turned on record mode on my phone and was finally able to get a look at the back of the housing. Turns out the retaining clip on the right side was bent down. I believe it was this way from the factory since i've never had the bulb out before. I bent it to a proper 90 degrees with some curved needle nose pliers.

I also took a stubby flat screw driver and cut a small notch in the end of it. This tool made short work of the retaining wire and saved my finger tips.

Oh I also took a stubby flat screw driver and cut a small notch in the end of it. This tool made short work of the retaining wire and saved my finger tips.

Ah yes. The legacy of the really bad design of the head lamps on the R1200RT continues.

Eventually we all make some kind of special tool that does only ONE thing and that's get the bulb reinstalled correctly.

Just wait until you burn out that LONE low beam in the middle of the night and wind up riding home using hi beams only.

At least with the older R1200RT's you had two low beams and one high beam.

Progress. Bleah. Bring back my dual low beams!!

AD (already had the first low beam burn out on the new bike)

As a slight hijack...

Would the ingenious CanBus system have the ability to turn on the high beams if is senses the low beam bulb has burned out while riding?

That is my main concern when riding with a single headlight-what happens if it burns out at 50 mph on a rainy night on strange curvy roads with deer signs everywhere........

Morning realshelby

The CanBus (or LinBus) doesn't have any turn-on, turn-off, or control ability. The CanBus (or LinBus) is JUST the communication protocol between onboard modules & computers. The CanBus (or LinBus) can't physically do anything.

Now with enough internal control & proper programming then the lighting control computer could probably be made to do that.

It's really no big deal though if a headlight burns out as a quick, simple, push on the hi-beam switch should instantly bring the high beams on.

Or if that is a problem then add (& use) additional frontal lighting.

Thanks DR.

That is what I suspected. At the moment I am not planning to run auxiliary lighting like I have in the past. So it was more of a concern having only one light. But you are right, I am sure I could get the high beams on in time. Actually rather rare for a light to burn out in steady use, more likely when the bike starts or coming down off high beam.

It is rare for me when a headlight bulb goes out, when they do then tend to go at start up. I recently sold my 02R1150RT 78,0000 single low bean, I replaced it once, original owner.

Jay

Address the bike as though you are young and single again.

I just had to change the H7 this weekend. I found sitting on a stool directly in front of the bike I could reach up behind the headlight assembly with both hands and complete the change by touch only; it helps to visualize the configuration of the "parts".

Ah yes. The legacy of the really bad design of the head lamps on the R1200RT continues.

BS.

It's the same clip system used on ALL European vehicles since the 1960s or 70s when halogen lighting first appeared. It's NOTHING to do with BMW as it's the lighting industry standard, and BMW had nothing to do with the internal design of these units. Recalling ... make that almost all as I recall a clipless system on an E39 BMW, but again, BMW didn't design it.

Works same as the 5-3/4 Hellas I installed on my 1972 Opel in 1973.

Various manufacturers test our patience when it comes to providing access of course.

But, the bottom line problem--if you think it's a problem--is that NO German vehicle manufacturer designs any vehicle with DIY maintenance in mind. Rather they expect trained technicians. The DIYer's responsibility is to learn how to do it right and never come in with an ego that thinks he can always succeed first time. The fix your Model T with baling wire era never happened in Germany.

TIPS

The slots into which the clip fastens face outward.

You're not likely to get the clips connected if the bulb isn't installed correctly.

If you've installed something besides the H7 the system was designed for ... good luck. Hint: There has never been an HID burner designed to fit an H7 system. Just because the garage business that put together your kit says so doesn't make it so.

BS.

It's the same clip system used on ALL European vehicles since the 1960s or 70s when halogen lighting first appeared. It's NOTHING to do with BMW

If you've installed something besides the H7 the system was designed for ... good luck. Hint: There has never been an HID burner designed to fit an H7 system. Just because the garage business that put together your kit says so doesn't make it so.

Don't get your britches in a bunch. The space afforded to access the bulb as designed by BMW made changing the unit difficult on the hex head for shade tree and professional mechanics alike, with practice it became easier. The wet head is even more difficult to change due to space constraints inherent in the BMW design.

Your statement on the HID install is also incorrect.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Unless you are replacing the entire light, the HID kits are not (cannot be) properly designed to work in an existing halogen system. They may seem better, but without the proper equipment to measure, there is no way to know.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Cheers,

Unless you are replacing the entire light, the HID kits are not (cannot be) properly designed to work properly in an existing halogen system.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Archived