IGNORED

R1200RT twist grip

hefy_jefy

The twist grip on the 2014 has no mechanical cables. Its electronic (I suppose its a variable resistor), v cool, very responsive, and it has cruise control which solves the problem of maintaining a constant speed, and the "rain" setting helps a bit. But if you don't use the cruise control the strain on the right wrist is noticeable. Because the power is there at almost any speed a bump in the road can cause a surge due to inadvertent operation of the throttle, and keeping that under control requires tension in the wrist.

In days gone by there used to be a small screw that was used to create some frictional damping of the twist grip. Something like this on the 2014RT would be nice, I was wondering about maybe some viscous grease...?

For the "strain," a Throttle Rocker will allow you to use your palm, lowering the amount of "tension" you have to maintain in your grip.

For steadying the throttle, I keep fingers on the brake lever -- provides a "reference" that keeps my hand from moving the throttle as I pass over a bump.

I too found the tension on the new RT throttle to be a bit stiff on longer rides. I installed one of the plastic wrist rests/palm rests or whatever you want to call them. Allows me to relax my grip some and really works on longer rides. These can be removed easily, rotated clear out of the way easily. No mod to the bike to install. I had the grip foam for a while, it made finding the signal light switch easier but they give a vague feel to the bike that I didn't like. I am used to the switch gear now and don't miss the foam on the grips.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived