IGNORED

Some thoughts after the first longish run 2014 R1200RT

hefy_jefy

Just covered the 1000 miles from home to San Diego and back in a couple of days. This was a sort of test of how this bike will hold up next year on a proposed trip across the U.S. with all the gear for camping. I loaded everything pretty much as I expect I would for the real thing. Top box and panniers all full, plus my Tourmaster suit across the rear seat. By comparison with my previous bike (cruiser) the BMW is tall, so I wanted to see if I had any problems at low speed, parking, cross winds, etc.

1. It's a bit trickier at low speed, but nothing I didn't expect, just have to take care, crosswinds are no problem (the Santa Anna was getting going in LA)

2. The bike is a dream at speed on the freeways, cruise control, plenty of legs for getting past the odd traffic queue.

3. Elsewhere I have a seen a post about the "sweet spot" for this bike. It's all sweet, the power band is amazing, but 4,500 in sixth is around 80+ and (cops notwithstanding) it will do that all day.

4. If you really want to get a hustle on, just hold the throttle open and keep upshifting, that quick shift is v cool.

5. I have the extra lights, they are excellent in combination with the normal headlights.

6. The rear view mirrors are OK - a bit low but you get used to that.

7. Being new to the bike I had some difficulty remembering where all the switches are at night, be nice if there was some illumination. But am not sure how that could be done, and once I have covered another few miles I am sure they will become automatic, even to my aging grey matter.

8. The windshield has a sweet spot just below full up where ( for me) the wind noise is minimal.

9. I have an Airhawk 2 seat so the backside was happy, although one of those custom saddles from the folks near Mount Shasta could be an excuse for another run :-)

All in all a great ride, very happy with this bike.

Geoff

Glad to hear how much you like the bike. Big change from a cruiser! I would love to take a ride like you did to evaluate mine.....not gonna happen any time soon :P The weather has turned to winter and I'll be lucky if I get to ride at all. You never know, we could get a short warm-up. I wonder about the seat too. It is better than the previous BMW RT seats, but I have always changed to a RDL in the past. We'll see :wave:

Great report, good to hear that you're enjoying the new RT! All of the tweaks make the new WetHeads pretty impressive motorcycles out on the road, (and I thought my 2012 was about the best I had ever ridden.)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I completed a 900 mile trip at the first of the month and another 300 mile trip last Saturday. The bike is amazing on the interstate...and the back roads, around town, you get the idea. My only issue is the seat...it has to go. Well that and the bike returns a strong signal when hit with police radar.

Glad you're loving it. I think most of us are.

Ken

We went from a 2002 K1200LTE to a 2014 R1200RT last month. This bike has not failed to impress. A few days after we bought it, we took a 470 trip back to home from my Dad's. The ONLY complaint my wife had was that because they had to order the top case she had nothing to lean against for the trip home. I know they're not the same kind of motorcycle but they sure have come a long way in 12 years! And the K1200LTE had things on that were standard that newer touring bikes offer as options if they offer them at all.

If you are looking at a custom seat, check out Bill Mayer Saddles in Venture, CA. Rocky made my seat for my 2004 RT and I loved it. He also made the seat for my 2011 F650GS. Another terrific seat! Customer satisfaction and product quality are very important to Rocky. Check it out.

Archived