IGNORED

14' Rt Topcase brake light cable routing?

paRTy

Just curious if someone with the top case and high brake light can post a pic of the cable routing under the rack to the plug under the seat. The manual shows a cable channel on rack, a "hook" for cable on inside of rack, and a cable holder, once under seat.

I see none of these on my bike.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate it.

Sorry but without a web hosted for pictures I can't post pictures. It's all there, the cable holder is holding the barrel connection; remove the protective cap, to the right (riders right)you'll see a clip to help hold the wire (it's empty. Rape the wire under the rack it fits between the rear seat and the painted plastic secure the wire in the clip, connect the barrel connection put it in it's holder. Be sure you lock the case to the bike.

Jay

Sorry but without a web hosted for pictures I can't post pictures. It's all there, the cable holder is holding the barrel connection; remove the protective cap, to the right (riders right)you'll see a clip to help hold the wire (it's empty. Rape the wire under the rack it fits between the rear seat and the painted plastic secure the wire in the clip, connect the barrel connection put it in it's holder. Be sure you lock the case to the bike.

Jay

I might be wrong, but I believe the OP is asking how to route the cable under the luggage rack. I had no problem plugging my light, but the cable sort of dangles beneath the bottom of the top box. The manual implies that there is some provision to route the cable under the rack.

I can't get a photo at the mo, however the is a 'c' clip on the right hand side of the rack (facing the front of the bike) just under the side of the rack. On mine it clips into the 'c' clip and passes shine the passenger seat through a slight gap between the rack and handle. it takes a little squeezing but it fits in.

Thanks for the replies everyone. My case arrives tomorrow, so hopefully there will be some clips in the packaging for me to use.

I looked again on the bike, and don't really see a "route" for the cable or any clips for wires under the seat. Have googled for quite a while and cannot find any pics of the set up on another persons bike.

Eric/Simon-

Excellent! Thanks for the pics - helps a lot.

I don't have any wire clips like you guys show, either under the rack or near the big plug, but am sure Home Depot can help out. Topcase is on UPS truck out for delivery, so will know later today how everything works/fits.

Appreciate the help.

My bike doesn't have a clip under the rack, I'm not concerned. I do have the other. I really don't think any are needed, this from a guy that buys cable ties in large packages.

Jay

Eric/Simon-

Excellent! Thanks for the pics - helps a lot.

I don't have any wire clips like you guys show, either under the rack or near the big plug, but am sure Home Depot can help out. Topcase is on UPS truck out for delivery, so will know later today how everything works/fits.

Appreciate the help.

That clip will be on the cable, when your top-box arrive! (I dropped mine inside the bike and lost it, trying to figure out where it's supposed to go!)

Pad, yes, you're right - the clip was on the cable. I ended up installing it under the rack as shown in the previous pics, then just laid rest of cable under seat when connected to plug.

The top case, while bmw expensive, is really nice. Lights work, central locking works, pneumatic rods when opening work, inside dome light is nice, plush rug inside, looks great on bike, keyed the lock to work, and...my wife thinks it's really comfortable. I'll forget the cost in time.

I did notice the weight a bit after a short ride today, but will get used to it in time. Also,...Chris and Ryan at All Seasons BMW were great to work with. Highly recommend them if you need accessories. Great pricing too.

Looking forward to my first trip for a few days. Thanks again to all who helped with info and pics. Really made things easier.

Just a quick caveat regarding that nice dome light inside the box. It's an LED and doesn't draw much current, but it will stay on if you leave the case lid open (such as wanting to air it out, etc) UNLESS you turn it off. How do you turn it off???? You close the handle just like you do every time you close the lid. (The switch for the light is in the handle.)

Enjoy!!!!!

Just a quick caveat regarding that nice dome light inside the box. It's an LED and doesn't draw much current, but it will stay on if you leave the case lid open (such as wanting to air it out, etc) UNLESS you turn it off. How do you turn it off???? You close the handle just like you do every time you close the lid. (The switch for the light is in the handle.)

Enjoy!!!!!

An added note, once the handle is down be sure to lift it up all the way before closing the lid.

Jay

Quick question on the interior convenience light.

Whenever you open your topcase, is the convenience light on? I had always assumed that it was switched using the same relay that powers down the canbus outlets, but mine doesn't appear to be. If the lid is open, the light is on, regardless of long the bike has been shut off.

I didn't think there was a switch or anything that monitored whether the top case lid was open and assumed that the light was powered the same was as the canbus controlled outlets.

Thanks

Top case is on if the lid is up. If you want to turn it off while lid is up, then push the latch closed. The latch activates the light. See 3 post above this one by Barry...

Thanks. When I bought the RT I kept the top case from my GT and had it painted to match the RT. After three years, I never noticed that the light was switched.

Quick question on the interior convenience light.

Whenever you open your topcase, is the convenience light on? I had always assumed that it was switched using the same relay that powers down the canbus outlets, but mine doesn't appear to be. If the lid is open, the light is on, regardless of long the bike has been shut off.

I put my cell phone, with video record on, into the topcase and closed it. The light went off as soon as the lid was closed.

Archived