IGNORED

'04 R1150RT Top case - BMW, Givi?

EricJRW

Thinking about a top case for the RT...

Main goal a place to stash the helmets (plural, both full face of course). Secondary goal is the backrest for my wife.

I like the BMW topcase, but I don't think the 33l will fit two helmets, will it? Unlike the Givi, which does, but personally I find the required rack replacement rather ugly (or am I just being to anal?).

Of course as I started typing this (at work), I just thought about the system cases. For the average day trip we don't usually bother with the system cases... but would a helmet fit in one (one on each side)? I'll try when I get home, but I'll pose my question anyway...

What are your thoughts on top cases?

TIA, Eric

I have to put my XL full face in the BMW top case just right to even get it to close. No way 2 will fit in it. The BMW top case is shaped kind of wierd-not nearly as much usable space as it appears to have.

Depending on the helmet they may fit in the side cases. I can get my Syncrhotec in with plenty of room, but it must be postioned just right. There appears to be sufficient room in a GIVI 42 top case for 2 full face.

Givi FTW.

It's LED brakelight is important. The backrest is dreamy, add a rack on top and a liner bag and you can easily double the capacity (with a $5 spider web bungee net) is a bind.

-Eff

Givi for sure. I've got the E50, which I think was replaced by the E52. I don't have the lights since I had the case before the bike.

I put 2 full face helmets in mine all the time, and my helmet is a XXXL (yes 3 X's). The other has at times been an XXL.

My head is like an orange on a toothpick.

Thank you for the inputs...

The LED brakelight idea was something I had not considered. I like the idea, and do plan an upgrade to the factory tail lighting, the Givi just might solve that (after I try the helmet in the side case idea).

Eric

I have the Givi on my R1100RT, and while I don't like the rack, it doesn't show, since I leave the top box on most all the time. On those occasions when I am without the top box I am usually moving pretty briskly and am not worried about appearance...

I think the BMW box has a prettier, more streamlined look, but that's what makes it smaller.

I'm not sure that the brake lights in the Givi E52 are LED. Nevertheless, they add a lot of visibility, the case is big, practically-shaped (unlike the BMW top case) and well-made. When you have the case mounted, you can't see the rack. When the case is removed, it doesn't strike me that the rack is particularly less aesthetic than the stock rack. I mean, it's a luggage rack.

Drawbacks of the Givi are that it carries the weight a bit higher, it's bigger so that you can pack more stuff to be carried higher, and you can't re-key it to match the BMW key, so it's an extra key to carry.

The BMW case is really hard to pack and less useful because it's all sorts of funny shapes inside, whereas the Givi is just a big cavernous case. You really should watch the weight with the Givi, though, because you can break the tail rack subframe under the seat if you load up too much weight in the top case.

I personally think you should consider a 1200RT instead. Its top case will easily store two full face helmets. Tell that to your signifigant other thumbsup.gif

I have had the BMW trunk on a previous bike. I now have the Givi and an XXL Schberth Concept will not fit in no matter how I try to jimmy it. It wouldn't fit in the BMW trunk either. The Givi is no problem for two smaller helmets.

I also have the oversize lids for the system cases which allow me to store my Schuberth in the right hand side bag.

We do a three week, 6000 mile trip each year with everything packed to the gunnels. There is no question that the Givi trunk affects the handling dramatically when packed to the gunnels. This weight up so high can really be felt particularly at low speeds. You need to be much more precise and the passenger needs to remain still at low speeds. Otherwise coming to a stop can be an adrenalin filled moment.

The Givi doesn't look as good IMHO, more dramatically affects handling but can hold more and my wife tells me it provides a more comfortable backrest because the back rest is higher. Lots of alternatives.

If you need to stash 2 full face helmets then the Givi Maxia E52 is the choice. I know what you mean about the adaptor plate but once the box is on it's not noticeable and I always run with the box fitted.

I personally think you should consider a 1200RT instead. Its top case will easily store two full face helmets. Tell that to your signifigant other thumbsup.gif
I'm trying to figure that one out now, "Yes dear, but look at the nice motorcycle the new luggage came with..."

Bob - Which Givi do you have installed? My Schuberth XXL C2 fits in my E52 nicely.

Eebie is correct, bulbs are incandescent.

The E52 holds more stuff and makes handling goosey above true 100 mph (108 on speedo).

thumbsup.gif

GIVI.

52L.

No problems up to max recommended speed plus 55.

Two up w/XL touring saddlebag lids and the GIVI no problems except up in mountains w/high wind gusts. But I think everyone was having that problem that day.

I've had XXXL helmets in mine??

As eebie said, watch the weight.

I have loaded my E52 with all sorts, then the roll bag with a tent on top. Broke the frame in Spain last year, but had a beautiful welding/strengthening job done by a mech. there.

IMHO the stock top box is good for, well nothing really, (maybe not so humble), maybe your sandwiches.

I think the max speed is 80mph with box on, needless to say it seems quite OK at 90 +.

Cheers,

Graham

I have the Givi E460 with the brake light, luggage rack, and back rest on an '04 RT. Its bigger, and I think less expensive than the BMW case. I've been very happy with it. It holds two full face helmets, and mine is a XXL.

We have the BMW case on our 04RT. Fitting helmets in BMW luggage is a bit of a juggle, we have just replaced our system 3 helmets with system 5's. The system 3's would easily fit in either pannier or the top case.(one only) The system five's are a different matter, we have on one occasion fitted a system 5 into a pannier but haven't managed it a second time and we can fit one into the top case but it has to be on its side with the top of the helmet facing forward right in the middle of the case. The case is an awkward shape to pack when on a long tour but the up side is that it doesn't affect the handling as much as other cases at high speed, on a recent trip to Barcelona we spent two hours travelling at 100 mph and the bike was rock solid.

Best wishes,

Malcolm.

Bike is in stprage and I don't know which model I have. I know it won't take my xxl C2 Schuberth though.

My trunk came equipped with a red compartment for papers attached to the inside of the lid. I am wondering if I take that out if the helmet might fit.

eeeeechh.... I don't think I could bolt one on my RT. I think there is some consideration due to cross winds as well I believe the BMW top case handles the cross winds better, pull down the wind shield & lay on the tank, I don't think there would be a problem even in some heavy cross winds as long as you don't have a Givi sail up there smirk.gif

Besides thats where I keep the BBQ sauce grin.gif

See picture on the left grin.gifgrin.gif

Archived