IGNORED

Let the Hounds run today

Freedom Outlaw

Where are you Freedom Outlaw? Name and Town, name and Town...

Welcome on board.

The GPS will be accurate, the speed, not so much. Sounds about right to me though.

And GPS showed 134 mph, speedo showed 140. Has anyone else wicked their RT up?

Your profile shows 2011 G650GS, 2012 Harley Superglide, but you've posted in Wetheads? Do you have a new RT?

My 2002 R1150RT speedo read low 130's crossing Nevada, so I figured I was at about 125. The bike hadn't hit the wall, but I had to slow down for corners, as I entered high ground.

Freedom Outlaw

I am sorry, I should have introduced myself. My name is Robert, I live just outside Pensacola and yes, I have 14RT. I am a 54 (55 next month) and a semi-retired at 46, I am a businessman with superb help, thus being able to scale my work way back.

I was going to do the buy back at one point but decided to keep the bike. That is the only reason I would not have listed the RT other than a brain fart.

Still have the G650GS and the Harley. I've modified the Harley with Ohlins, a Sputh Engineering engine brace and Racetek springs. I have no pirate costume.

I have a RDL on the RT and am enthralled with the bike. I traded in an 06 RT which I absolutely loved.

My wife and I were 200 miles south of Canada when I got the DNR. We had allocated around 30 days +/- to fart around the US with the highlight of the trip running the Canadian Ice Field Parkway. To say we were disappointed would be the understatement of the year.

The entire saga is posted on Adventure Rider on this thread:

This was my first post on the RT on ADV:

Originally Posted by GerJ View Post

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ampaign=widget

Poor owners of this premium bike! Imagine you were all set to start your motorcycling vacation tomorrow....

Ha! I AM on vacation. I live in Florida and it is mine and my wife's 30th anniversary. I had a Mercedes Sprinter upfitted to our specs, had a trailer made to haul the bike and wife's scooter.

I am self employed and have virtually unlimited free time. We "had" planned on a 30 days +/- touring the US/Canada. As I type this I am 200 miles south of Canada and sitting on the fence as to whether I even want to continue the trip.

I drove the Canadian Ice Field Parkway several years ago and wanted to come back and do it on a bike. To say I am disappointed would be the understatement of the year.

We've raised and weaned (knocking on wood) three kids. All are out of college and on their own. This was to be a big event for us and we have had a blast so far.

I have (had) been riding the bike like a stole it and rode two up the day before yesterday. BMW has been in contact with me and they say they want to do the right thing. However, considering the totality of the situation, really, I don't know what they can do, heck they don't have a fix for it yet and I am not sure if I want to drag this bike around for another two weeks +/- without being able to ride it.

I'll sleep on it tonight and decide whether to head back to FL or go on to Banff dragging the new RT. I kinda miss my 06 even though you can look back in this thread (I think it is this thread) and see where I said it was a quantum leap over the old model. At this point, I'd give the buyer his money back for my 06 and keep the 14 too. At least I could do most of the work on the 06 myself, tip of the hat to you Jim for the CD.

RHM

There are several follow up threads. The dealer here in Pensacola treated me very, very good as did BMWNA. The entire thread with many followups by me is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876200&page=40

Sorry for not making the proper introduction. Generally, I don't post too much.

Freedom Outlaw

Oh, and I was give a lot of grief about "towing" an RT, thus this response. I am retiring for the evening after this.

You bet. Also my wife's Honda PCX 150 and have dog. This is Our trip, she insisted on bringing the dog and wanted her scooter. Also, I am not doing this in a toy hauler or pickup truck. The Sprinter we are driving was specifically for us, it started out in a cargo configuration and is not even in the same galaxy as one now it was upfitted to our specification by a certified Mercedes upfitter.

This is OUR 30 year anniversary, not "mine". So I was happy (maybe, just maybe, that is why it has been 30 years of marriage since I will compromise a fair amount) to let her bring her scooter and she is nuts about our Jack Russell. Me, not so much.

Really, I had no desire to ride through Death Valley at 113 degrees, I did, however want to ride around the Eureka Springs, Various areas of NM, Tioga Pass, in and around the area of Mt Shasta (was going to have a Day Long Built but they are waaay out), Crescent City to see the Redwoods and then on to Banff, Idaho, Upper Peninsula area, etc.. We have absolutely no agenda, get it?

I do not trailer much At All.

I can go back to FL, spend two/three days in my office and leave again solo for another month long trip on the RT. This trip is not a "me" trip it is an "us" trip and, no, I do not want to do 6-8k two up. We have taken a very circuitous route. We did not bee line it from FL to Maine which would be the closest border crossing to Canada for me. I am in Washington.

I generally click off between 20,000 and 30,000 miles a year between an RT, G650GS and a Harley. You?

Best

I've only taken it up to 106 on the speedo...GPS logged 101. I'm guessing you didn't have a top case attached??

I'm just down the road in Niceville BTW.

Ken

I can go back to FL, spend two/three days in my office and leave again solo for another month long trip on the RT.

I think I should not like you..............

Very jealous :wave:

Freedom Outlaw
Robert, sounds like you need to have this on your calendar. And oh yeah, onethreezero easy peazy. ;) With a bad shock! :eek:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=909465&nt=3&page=1 :thumbsup:

Pat

Hi Tewks:

You click off 130 easy, Wow, nerves of steel!

Thanks for the heads up on the rally. My wife and I spend a fair amount of time around the Big Bend area of Florida. It is about all that is left of "Old Florida".

If you go and stay at Harbourmaster Inns and Suites, ask for the Tropical Tranquility room. It is hands down the best room on the Key.

The other place mentioned, The Faraway Inn is much lower on the diamond scale but has a lot more amenities for group gatherings. The owners name is Oliver and he will go out of his way to accommodate group gatherings, very nice gent. The last time I spoke with him he was wanting to sell. He told me the property taxes were eating him alive.

If you have the time, try to make the drive from Cedar Key to Carrabelle and then on to Apalachicola. It parallels the GOM for miles and is a Very scenic drive. Apalach is a neat town with lots of good eats. To me, the best restaurant is the local dive on 98 right across the street from the Chevron station. It is an older block building, not to much curb appeal but the food is superb.

Boss Oyster is for the tourist and it is fine but the dive across from the Chevron (forget the name) is much better. It is where the locals go and the prices are more reasonable. You can park your bike and walk all around town, it is not a big place.

Narcosis, I have no top case. Do you ever get over to Pensacola? I am pretty sure there is a new BMW riders group over here. Where did you buy your bike? Color? I ride Blackwater River State Forest a lot but generally do it during the week. Give me a shout if you want the two dolla tour.

Being in Niceville, have you been to The Red Bar in Grayton Beach? They have live music on Sundays and it is always packed. Check out their ratings on Trip Adviser or Yelp. If by chance you haven't been ya need to go. I am not much of a drinker but the bands is great and the food isn't bad.

Best.

Do you mean That Place on 98 ?

BTW, my old GT will do 140ish (GPS) w/xl bags and topcase, what's the big deal?

We usually stay in TTranquility but chose to move over to Faraway

for this time just to see if we need a sunset spot to gather.

Been to Picolo's Restaurant and The Red Bar many times but not in quite a while. Enjoyed it every time...don't know why we stopped going. Probably moving from Destin to Niceville was a factor.

Bought my Quartz Metallic Blue bike in Jacksonville in September. The good folks in Pensacola just didn't have the inventory when I was ready to buy and I got a great deal on a buyback over in Jax.

I searched for a nearby BMW riders group before I joined a local motorcycle club. I look again based on your info.

I may take you up on the tour. Thanks for the offer.

Ken

Freedom Outlaw

Hi Tallman:

Yup That's the place. I can't remember names worth a flip. Faraway Inn will be a much better place for a group, wise move.

Best,

• 2 months later...

Heading over your way in March, will have a new grandchild at the Tyndall AFB by then. Plan on cutting across from home base near Titusville on 40 and picking up 19 around Inglis, then 30 in Perry, then 98 at the coast unless you can suggest something better. Maybe we can grab a cup of coffee if you're around.

Freedom Outlaw

Hello Bwp:

That is probably the route I would take. Keep me posted on your plans, I am always looking for an excuse to get out. I have no idea where I will be in March though. I may go to Bike Week, dunno yet. If the weather looks decent around TX hill country, I may go out there.

I am kind of in a holding pattern right now. Both mine and my wife's parents are elderly and we have been spending an inordinate amount of time tending to them.

I see you are in the Keys now, went down there last January to ride HWY 1 to Key West, had that on the bucket list. Hope you are enjoying your stay. It is cold in Pensacola now.

Best,

Archived