IGNORED

Amp rating of power ports

MotoBones

Newbie with a question I couldn't answer with a search.

Does anyone know the amp and/or volt rating for the OEM power ports on a 2014 RT? Curious whether I can power both a heated jacket liner and heated gloves via a dual controller plugged into the power port.

Thanks.

Morning MotoBones

The info is in your riders manual on or about page 160 (technical data)

It is 10 amps total on all sockets together. So you have 10 amps on one socket or 5 amps (7/3, 6/4,8/2, etc) on each for a total of 10amps on both.

Added: 10x13 volts gives you about 130 watts to work with.

My Gerbings controller regulates the heat by pulsing full voltage. The higher the heat setting, the longer the pulse. So even though I have the controller set on the lowest setting, the pulse is over 5 amps and the accessory socket on the bike shuts down. I have to connect direct to the battery. The sockets are worthless to me.

I have a 14 RT. I use a Gerbings dual conroller with heated vest and heated gloves powered throught the socket on the right hand panel up front. So far no issues and I've done it several times for hours at a time....

What do you mean the "bike shuts down"? Do you mean all accessories connected to the CANBUS shut down? That's what happens on my '09. Just looking for clarification since I'm working on a deal for a '14 upgrade.

My Gerbings controller regulates the heat by pulsing full voltage. The higher the heat setting, the longer the pulse. So even though I have the controller set on the lowest setting, the pulse is over 5 amps and the accessory socket on the bike shuts down. I have to connect direct to the battery. The sockets are worthless to me.
What do you mean the "bike shuts down"? Do you mean all accessories connected to the CANBUS shut down? That's what happens on my '09. Just looking for clarification since I'm working on a deal for a '14 upgrade.

You've misread -- he said "the accessory socket on the bike shuts down."

My jacket would not produce any heat when I used it plugged into the accessory port. But, it may have been my jacket that failed, not the accessory port. I need to check that out. I too have heard that the accessory ports are supposed to handle up to 5 amps.

clip-- I too have heard that the accessory ports are supposed to handle up to 5 amps.

Morning mountainmann

Very early 1200RT (hexheads) had 5 amp sockets.

Later 1200RT heaxhead, all camhead & so far the waterhead have 10 amp sockets.

That is 10 amp total for both sockets together.

My jacket would not produce any heat when I used it plugged into the accessory port. But, it may have been my jacket that failed, not the accessory port. I need to check that out. I too have heard that the accessory ports are supposed to handle up to 5 amps.

Check your power cable that plugs into the power socket, I had a wire break in mine right behind the plug that I had to repair.

I checked my jacket with an ohm meter. The main feed circuit going in/out of the jacket reads open (infinite resistance). I must have a broken wire. The jacket is only a couple of years old and has only gone on a few road trips. If Gerbings won't fix it, I will have to open it up to start checking the wires.

Gerbings had significant quality problems just prior to their refinancing/move under the the current owners. Predictable when you source low end from China and don't send your own staff to ensure you get quality production.

Since fixed thank goodness. No one wants to see such traditional US brand diminished.

As DR noted, you can pull up to 10A through any of the current sockets and that easily runs any jacket made plus gloves. Won't work for two up at 5A each. Most rewire the factory stupidity if they do 2 up- it is absurd BMW hasn't fixed this yet. The change from 5A to 10A total for factory outlets happened 07/08 and there has been no further improvement- long overdue.

Electric pants or soles only needed if you ride in extremely cold weather- teens and lower - and might put you into needing a 15A source. For me, e jacket is always on the bike for riding at elevation or cold weather- the e gloves come out anytime I expect to ride below 35F. Handguards (Barkbuster S-7) extend low end temp of any glove by about 10 degrees and are fitted to all my road bikes. Most BMWs have heated grips and with a good set of single leather thickness at the palm gloves, the handguards, and the e jacket to keep blood flowing well and arms warm, e gloves aren't needed at temps over 35F.

(BMW Winter Gloves will sub for e gloves if you don't like/want electrics)

The traditional Gerbings controller is as obsolete as a flip phone. The WarmNSafe battery powered (AAA) dual remote will operate any jacket brand (plus an accessory like gloves) and is more convenient to use, easier to mount and portable from bike to bike if necessary. They even got a remote portable version that can be plugged into 12V on each bike- to me not worth the wiring effort unless you ride a lot in a long winter.

clip-- The change from 5A to 10A total for factory outlets happened 07/08 and there has been no further improvement- long overdue--clip.

Afternoon Racer7

I don't think that is correct on the 1200RT (it might be for the 1200R as those switched later than the RT.

I know of (2) 2006 1200RT's (both late builds but built well before 07/08 that have 10 amp rated factory power outlets. Both also came with riders manuals that show 10 amp power outlet rating.

There was a change in the 1200RT power socket design in (or around) 07/08 but that was just a switch to a cheaper (actually lower amp) small pin power socket. Early 1200RT's actually came with 15 amp power sockets (pin size wise- not circuit amp rating) & later came with the smaller 10 amp pin size ratings.

• 3 weeks later...

Its also worth noting that the accessory sockets are only active while the ignition is on, they remain active for several minutes after switching off.

Geoff

Archived