IGNORED

Battery Tending...

hopz

Cold here in Colorado Springs. No riding in near future. Been turning ignition switch on to set-up some things. Decided I might want to put some new volts into the battery.

Where is the freaking battery? Found it, sort of turned sideways under the starboard side cover.... cool.

How to attach the SAE pigtail to charge the battery? Then what's under the triangle panel to the rear?

Ahh... clever Germans. Can't get to the battery so they install a pigtail from the factory! Sweet. then of course put the voltmeter on the ends to be certain the covered pin is "hot:. It was. But, does the battery tender go hot-to-hot? or Hot to ground... NO that's just crazy talk.

So plugged it in and while bending over the bike I hear a fait but perceptible sound of battery cooking... bubbles rising etc.!?

Anyone notice this before? Sound while battery charging?

Hopz, BMW doesn't supply a pig tail, did you get a return bike? Some dealers do install them as well and include it with the bike.

I've never noticed the sound of a battery cooking before, that doesn't sound good to me, it's a tender and a charger. The AMPS (1.25) shouldn't be enough to get that baby cooking.

Jay

strataj...

thanks for the come-back... no, not a return bike unless the previous owner only rode 30 miles.

The installation was very neat and factory looking... thus a puzzle. I will ask the dealer.

So plugged it in and while bending over the bike I hear a fait but perceptible sound of battery cooking... bubbles rising etc.!?

Anyone notice this before? Sound while battery charging?

Yep. Once upon a time (college days) my battery was stored/charged in my room through the winter. Noise lessens/stops as battery reaches full charge. I could watch the gas bubbles rise through the translucent case. If it is disturbing, turn up the radio. Hot-to-hot, ground-to-ground, match your colors.

Some dealers install a pigtail as part of the setup for all new bikes. Makes it easier to maintain batteries on the showroom floor.

"Some dealers install a pigtail as part of the setup for all new bikes. Makes it easier to maintain batteries on the showroom floor."

This is exactly what BMDoD told me. I was extremely surprised to find a 30Amp fuse in my pigtail which allows me to use it for my heated gear as well as the Cycle Pump (HOPZ has already witnessed).

Definitely haven't heard or smelled anything from the battery and I keep it on a AGM Batteryminder whenever it is not in motion.

On second thought, I should add that I heard the bubbling in a conventional lead/acid battery, with a tube vent. Don't know if that is an expected sound with an AGM battery.

I went ahead and plugged the sucker in... it took a charge and the charger eventually changed from charge to maintain, so I guess things are ok.

thanks for the replies.

Hi Hopz

So you jumped onto the R1200RT-W (LC) bandwagon...good on ya

Very different bike to our previous 2005 Hexheads.

Is yours fully factory decked out?

As in: Quick Shift, security package, Audio package....?

Alfred,

Yes, as far as I know it has it all. GPS, Audio, Quick Shift, Security, Hill Assist.

but, I cannot get the German Beer dispenser to work... but the kool-aid is pretty good.

I'm interested in hearing how you like it so far Hopz. I think one may have followed me home yesterday!

I was at the Dealer for an overdue 12k Service on my 2012 and saw a buyback out front. Well after a test ride and some talking, instead of the 12k, we settled on my bike and $2800.

It has 1600 miles on it and looks really clean. Tech Pkg, Touring Pkg and Dynamic Pkg.

It's going to take awhile to learn everything this bike has on it and can do, it seems light years ahead of my 12 which I really did love!

Fire...

I really like it on the 35 miles or so... far.

It handles easier, faster than the older RTs. Lower center of gravity. Ride by wire is noticeably quicker in response.

Top gear has more torque.

Under the saddle the "tool kit" is essentially a joke- but it does take up less space. You cannot really get to the battery, if you can find it... without some digging in.

I like it.

Alfred,

Yes, as far as I know it has it all. GPS, Audio, Quick Shift, Security, Hill Assist.

but, I cannot get the German Beer dispenser to work... but the kool-aid is pretty good.

The German Beer dispenser is not supplied outside the Vaterland.

We are very finicky who we let drink our golden liquid.

Under the saddle the "tool kit" is essentially a joke- but it does take up less space. You cannot really get to the battery, if you can find it... without some digging in.

I like it.

You do not require a better tool kit as the bike is perfect and will never break down.

Unless....

The owner has done something stupid.

And to ensure that the owner doesn't do anymore damage, the toolkit is limited so that the owner is forced to take it to a qualified professional mechanic, who then will be able to correct the damage that the owner has caused.....at a price of course.

Archived