IGNORED

Cold Hard Starting 2013 R1200RT

Gray Buckley

Started about 8,000 miles. Had used 3-4 qt. oil in first 4,000 miles. Inspection reveals leaking valve guide seals, with considerable sludge/deposits lining the internals. Any similar experiences?

Gray

Rode my 2013 RT from Philly to Phoenix and used less than 1/2 quart. Since then oil consumption has been decreasing.

Get yours to the dealer pronto!

The subject line said "cold hard starting" so that's what I thought this was about. Mine wants just a little bit of throttle when starting cold with outside temps in the 50's or less. Without the added throttle, it'll fire off enough to disengage the starter but not keep running. With a touch of added throttle, it'll light right off and once stable (5 seconds max) will idle just fine on it's own.

As for oil usage, mine needed a counter-balancer seal replacement within a month of taking delivery. It was very interesting seeing my bike literally split in two. The front half (from the engine forward) sitting on the mechanics bike lift and the rear half (from the tranny back) sitting on the center stand, on the floor next to it. So far so good. If I'm using any oil at this point, it's not enough that I can detect it from the sight glass. I'd really prefer a dip stick but can live with what I've got. Like I have any options on that anyway! :)

Ride Safe,

Steve R.

Started about 8,000 miles. Had used 3-4 qt. oil in first 4,000 miles. Inspection reveals leaking valve guide seals, with considerable sludge/deposits lining the internals. Any similar experiences?

Repairs underway per warranty. Dealer provided a loaner. Took from a Tuesday to the following Monday for BMW to authorize. Will be 30 days for parts to arrive from Germany.

• 3 months later...

After replacing the engine control unit it started warm and cold in the shop. One day later it would not start. Tried warm and cold. Going back to the store tomorrow accompanied with a long list of work that has been done and parts that have been replaced. Frustration all around. Dealer has been generous with loaners. Stay tuned.

Afternoon Gary

While in the shop you might have them run a battery load test.

Even though it cranks OK the battery voltage might be dropping enough during engine cranking in cold weaather to effect TPS position learning.

• 2 months later...
Gray Buckley

After 6 months of valiant tech effort, have traded the 2013 for a 2015. Included in the deal was a promise to let me know if/when they are ever able to start the bike again and what the problem has been.

Well, congratulations on the new bike, but this leaves us with a great mystery. Did they eventually just give up, call the bike a lemon and offer you a smokin' deal to trade up? I too am curious to know that they are going to do with a less than 2 year old motorcycle that won't start. No-starts are usually not that complicated.

• 9 months later...
Gray Buckley

After six months of a lot of work, I elected to replace the bike as repair seemed unlikely. Several weeks after receiving my 2015 R1200RT, dealer reported the 2013 suddenly started, inexplicably. Since then it has been sold and there have been no further failures (to start) reported.

Archived