IGNORED

Repairing plastic fairing "tabs"

Rob L

I figured out a way to replace the broken plastic tabs on the fairing "lateral" sides. I epoxied 2 small steel angles in place. They don't look too good on the inside, but hold the panel in place perfectly! Less costly than a new panel.

My "buy back" bike came pre-broken in for me in more ways than one ;)

CIMG4355.jpg

These are the angled steel pieces that I used to replace the plastic tabs. They are not as wide as the original tabs. I centered them where the broken ones were and used the 2 part epoxy to hold them in place. They work great and are stronger than the original plastic tabs.

CIMG4348.jpg

CIMG4353.jpg

CIMG4347.jpg

Looks like a perfectly acceptable fix, nice work! :thumbsup:

Just a thought though, your dealer would not help you with this? I had a couple small scratches where the saddlebags were misaligned when installed. Not my doing but I let them know about it when my bike went in for the shock replacement. They ordered two new side panels no questions asked.

Seems like your dealer should have taken care of this.

Pat

Not the first bike from BMW with tabs that get broken by careless mechanics- because the tabs are hidden and easily overstressed.

I did a similar repair on the SOs R1100S a few years back- it has a very well hidden screw that needs removal to get the side panel off- assuming you can find the screw without a shop manual to guide you.

Archived