IGNORED

Audio/Nav etc... Basic questions

hopz

Hello to you wet heads. I joined the club on Saturday last and have been going through the initiation ritual.

I have a pretty basic question. In previous incarnations my passenger and I have tried using wireless intercom and GPS prompts to my helmet. The early Cardo Systems units failed to meet the requirements and I went to a full hard-wired Autocom AVI Super Pro 7 system.

It worked fine and we do not mind the wires since the clarity etc did the job. I do not want to buy new helmets since the ones we have are fresh enough age-wise and the microphones and speakers are already installed.

Music/Radio is not a big deal for me but in this new configuration I might like it. I regularly paired my phone to the GPS and received and sent calls.

The question is... does anyone know how to do the connections from the 2014 GPS/radio system to the Autocom?

Could it possibly be so simple as using the USB port (or the plug) in the "glove" box to the Autocom and then the standard cables to each helmet?

hopz,

I have the Autocom hardwired on my bike from the audio and with a bluetooth adapter for the GPS. My phone connects to the GPS and is available for phone calls via the Autocom.

In order to fit this you need the Speaker adapter kit as the Autocom uses the speaker output (matched through a provided transformer) to input to the Autocom. What this means is that you maintain the use of the multifunction wheel for control of volume etc. I went with the option with a selector switch so at a flick of a switch I can use the built in speakers (normally for washing the bike!) or turn the speakers off if Im using the Autocom Headset.

I love this setup as I tend to ride using in-ear monitors in place of earplugs (my monitors remove 30dB's) and the audio quality is great from radio, MP3 and GPS. When I get a phone call the radio or music is volume reduced automatically whilst the phone call is in process, its really neat!.

This is the Autocom part used on my bike ;AUTOCOM-2275

(sorry for the UK link)

Autocom Lead

Some Photos;

oXj9io

oVj28C

oERF5E

hope this helps.

I know what you mean about these wetheads. Don't ride one if you are not ready to buy one.

While not exactly what you are asking, I have to say I have found myself using the bikes speakers to listen to the radio. I have done a bit of work to the windscreen, which helps, but this radio/speaker setup is quite good at 80 mph. Easy to mute when you slow down and don't want to be heard also.

I have the Sena bluetooth setup which works great with the BMW system. Unless you have a passenger that wants to hear the music. I understand you have to use the BMW communicators for that. I have not had wires for years and don't want to go back.

I know what you mean about these wetheads. Don't ride one if you are not ready to buy one.

While not exactly what you are asking, I have to say I have found myself using the bikes speakers to listen to the radio. I have done a bit of work to the windscreen, which helps, but this radio/speaker setup is quite good at 80 mph. Easy to mute when you slow down and don't want to be heard also.

I have the Sena bluetooth setup which works great with the BMW system. Unless you have a passenger that wants to hear the music. I understand you have to use the BMW communicators for that. I have not had wires for years and don't want to go back.

Cardo Scala says that the Q1, Q3 and G9x will allow for the passenger to hear music. I was asking their CS some pre-purchase question about the same thing. They said to pair ONLY the rider's helmet to the R1200RT AND NOT the passenger. Then you use the Cardo's music sharing feature to send the R1200RT from the rider's helmet to the passenger's. Volume will be controlled on the Cardo/Scala unit itself or set by software by connecting to computer and not from the wheel.

SimonB...

Thanks for the set-up you use... but

Why can't I just Bluetooth my iPhone to the BMW V GPS (aka Garmin) ? I have done that for years with my original zumo 550. Send and receive calls through the GPS wirelessly... then doesn't the BMW system allow me to use a 4 conductor plug to run to the Autocom and then to the headset(s)?

Seems as if the control wheel would still work... ?

hopz,

You connect your phone straight to the GPS, the knocker ad far as I am aware is the audio between the GPS and bike. As far as I am aware (was told by my dealer) the bluetooth connection is required as there is no audio connection between the GPS and bike (bluetooth or otherwise) maybe someone else could confirm? hence the requirement for the Autocom bluetooth dongle.

Simon.

Another GPS inquiry:

I have a Uclear set-up in my helmet that is connected to my Nav 5 via Bluetooth, but cannot get any sound from the GPS when it is giving directional voice prompts.

Any advice to fix this odd situation is very welcomed.

Thanks!

Weston

sorry simonB... maybe the distance between us is confusing me.

not certain what "the knocker ad" means... but I assume it is not good.

If there is no audio connection between the GPS and the bike, then how does the bike play GPS navigation prompts?

I will dig through your prior post and references...

Weston... if the Nav V is like all the other Garmin based units... it deliberately mutes other sounds during a navigation prompt... its supposed to do that.

OK, lets try this again... one at a time...

1. Inside the right hand dash box there are two connectors... one has a USB end and the other has a 4-conductor plug.

What do you do with these? Are they only for INPUT of a music (audio) source to the bike Audio system? Meaning an iPod or even music stored on an iPhone?

-or-

2. Can these "leads" (connectors) be used to hear Navigation prompts?

You can share the music with your passenger, assuming that you have SMH10 or 20S. I ride solo, and so I have never done it myself.

Thanks Pad, but please excuse my ignorance... that does not address my question.

What do these connectors do? Receive only, or receive input AND provide access to bike audio? (in others words... operate in a 2-way mode... IN and OUT?)

Here you go answers in Red.:

1. Inside the right hand dash box there are two connectors... one has a USB end and the other has a 4-conductor plug.

What do you do with these? Are they only for INPUT of a music (audio) source to the bike Audio system? Meaning an iPod or even music stored on an iPhone?

These are inputs for either plugging a media player in via the audio jack or USB, you can plug a USB key filled with MP3's or plug an iPod/iPhone with the correct adapter

-or-

2. Can these "leads" (connectors) be used to hear Navigation prompts?

Nope.

OK, lets try this again... one at a time...

This sounds like the same setup BMW used in my MINI. They sell an adaptor cable for an iPod that has an iPod connector one end, and BOTH USB and audio connectors on the other end. Apparently, for an iPod, they do control/data via USB and audio via the audio connector, so the iPod does the digital-to-analog conversion. I suspect this is leave dealing with Apple's copy protection schemes to the iPod.

Hi Bill... yes,

We had a snow-day here so I went over to the dealer and had a seance with the tech guys... who... lacking any real customers had only me to play with.

The answer to the question posed above was confirmed. The connectors in the little box are for input not output.

this means my Autocom hard-wire system is not going to work.

Hopz,

Thanks, I am aware of that. But I never play the radio or link my phone when I ride. In other words, GPS prompts is the only sound that is operational -- I have no other sounds.

And just to add to the perplexity, I've tested the UClear speakers to be sure they are on high volume so I know they are working.

Any other plausible explanations you can think of?

Weston

Hopz,

Autocom Hardwired will work it requires this adapter - AUTOCOM-2275 to splice the speaker feed into the Autocom. I have this on my bike and works great.

This is the same install method that is used on the K1600.

Simon.

I have a autocom spa unit and nav v on my RT, I can hear NAV directions through my headset with the bluetooth turned OFF on my nav v

I assume it comes via the alpine unit ? I think you need the autocom part that simonB mentioned (2275?) so you can flick between bike speakers or autocom headset

Archived