IGNORED

Oil Filter Wrench

oreana123

Just a note to those considering changing your own oil..Walmart stocks a plastic oil filter wrench that costs $3. Tomorrow, I am changing mine. John S Boise cool.gif

It is made for Valvoline and has a 1/4 inch drive metal insert. It is mounted on a cardboard square and is probably hanging near the oil filters.

I bought a plastic one at NAPA and it works great. Size is 76-14 and I've posted the NAPA part number before so a search should find it. I agree the plastic is the way to go. The cheap metal ones are too loose and the removed filter jams in it and is a real PITA to remove. Plastic works great. --Jerry

Just a note to those considering changing your own oil..Walmart stocks a plastic oil filter wrench that costs $3.

That's what I use and it's just fine.

K&N makes an oil filter for MCs that has a 17mm nut welded to the bottom. You probably already have a 17mm wrench and would therefore, not need to purchase a special tool for the job. However, if you decide to use the K&N filter, don't tell anyone on this forum!!! <<<<<<Softtail>>>>>> dopeslap.gif

On any oil filter wrench that fits onto the filter-end pattern, be sure the wrench is compltely degreased to increase the effective bite on the filter. I have had trouble with some slipping on the pattern when I forget to.

Archived