IGNORED

Top Box Brake Light

Rob L

BMW charges $160 for the optional brake light to fit the OE top box. I installed and LED light bar to mine from a company I found, Custom Dynamics, for $39.95. The only problem is the light bar is flat and the rear panel on the box is curved. I used some additional foam 2 sided tape to attach mine. I'll see if this holds up! I am happy with the way the light works. The light flashes 10 times when I apply the brakes and then stays on until I release.

CIMG4331.jpg

CIMG4336.jpg

CIMG4339.jpg

Don't know where you found the BMW top case brake light for $160? $237 is what everyone I checked with wants. And it is just a brake light and you have to go back to the dealer and have the computer turn on the circuit for it. I thought about buying it anyway and getting the Skene Design programmer that turns it into a running light also.

I ended up just getting the Skene Design P-3 light kit. Two LED strips about 3" long. Put one on each side of the panel in the top case. These are running lights and very bright brake lights that you can program to your tastes. One Positap connection to the wire under the seat where the fuse block is, plus I used the factory brake light connector pin connector for the other two wires so I didn't have to cut/tap into any wires there. No CanBus issues at all. I later added the front Photon Blasters to the same power circuit and still no CanBus issue. They said there would not be, but nothing like seeing that for yourself. Very happy with their products.

No need to have any computer upgrade. The wires inside the top box were "hot" when I spliced into them.

This is the link to the brake light upgrade from BMW. $160.01

http://parts.bmwmcgr.com/p/BMW_2014_R-1200-RT/Set--aux-brake-lights--Tour-Topcase/42781267/77518520044.html

BTW the light I bought also has the capacity to be used as a running light. The running light circuit is not included in the pigtail that is available where the brake light is. I could take apart the top box and locate the circuit that feeds the internal light, but I didn't feel the need for it. Maybe later........

David Langford

I read your post with interest as I want a higher vis brake light also

I followed your link to the factory brakelight and ordered it in a moment of weakness for the $160 plus a stupid high shipping cost of $22. They called me several hours later and informed me they mis marked the price and it was really 237 plus shipping. I canceled the order and asked for a refund. While I like my bike 2014 r1200rt, I am already sick of crazy high prices this company tries to get for parts etc. A top box for $1500 should be painted to match,with brake light and include a 800 refund !

I ordered a stinger 11.8 inch flexible red led brake light for 29.95 plus 9 bucks shipping and cant wait to get it and see how it works. It should run the whole length of the space under the spoiler.

I did not like the fit of the light bar you installed but it looks like it works great. Thanks for the lead, man !

David Langford

custom dynamics, click on led accent lights and there are at least two good options that I am trying (I ordered both) one is the truflex 75 led that's 9.8 inches long with a real smooth look-$52. The other is stingerz, 30 led 11.8 inches-$29. They both look very bright lifetime warranty and are waterproof.

I am planning on using them for brake light only,I might get some smaller one to add to the blinkers if I like these.

seems like a good company and source

I read your post with interest as I want a higher vis brake light also

I followed your link to the factory brakelight and ordered it in a moment of weakness for the $160 plus a stupid high shipping cost of $22. They called me several hours later and informed me they mis marked the price and it was really 237 plus shipping. I canceled the order and asked for a refund. While I like my bike 2014 r1200rt, I am already sick of crazy high prices this company tries to get for parts etc. A top box for $1500 should be painted to match,with brake light and include a 800 refund !

I ordered a stinger 11.8 inch flexible red led brake light for 29.95 plus 9 bucks shipping and cant wait to get it and see how it works. It should run the whole length of the space under the spoiler.

I did not like the fit of the light bar you installed but it looks like it works great. Thanks for the lead, man !

Funny mention on the color of the top box (well not really funny). If you buy a Triumph Trophy and order to top box you have to choose between silver or blue, the only two colors the motorcycle comes in. We looked at when we bought our new RT but my wife wasn't fond of the silver (only one they had) and said it "looked" nearly as big as the LT.

The box for the GT & GTL is the same with a different backrest. You can even get a heated backrest that will fit the topbox and the electric pigtail is there to power it up. The price is outrageous :eek: $367 for the bottom and $216 for the top section :dopeslap:

David Langford

Well I got the flexible led light strip from custom dynamics with a light smoke cover and installed it on my top box and love it . Its barely noticeable and brighter than the factory brake and looks great. A well spent $52 verses 237 from bmw

Well I got the flexible led light strip from custom dynamics with a light smoke cover and installed it on my top box and love it . Its barely noticeable and brighter than the factory brake and looks great. A well spent $52 verses 237 from bmw

Pictures?

Not sure if I do it the easiest way, but I upload my pics to a website (Photobucket.com), then copy the img code from that website and paste to my post here and the picture appears. It works for me!

• 2 months later...

OK - yeah, the proper connector seems to be unobtainable...

I just ordered the LEDs - you mentioned the smoke cover? Was that from Custom Dynamics?

To those that added a brake light to your top box... Did the top box already have internal wires and electricity? I have the no frills top box; no central locking and no internal light so I assume there are no internal wires, is that correct?

If your top box is hard wired to a connector under the seat, how hard is it to remove the top box when not needed?

The top box did not come with the wiring if not bought for central locking and so on. The top box is not hard wired to the bike. There is a connector under the seat that is disconnected when not needed.

My top box has plug under the passenger seat that must be unplugged before I remove the box. This is what feeds the brakelight, convenience light, and central locking mechanism.

Not sure about other boxes (mine has the internal light and central locking) but the brake light connector was already there, also an unused connector to heat the passengers backrest. Quite easy to remove the box, single "drum-type" electrical connector under the passenger seat, and an unlock handle in the box under the carpet, an external red tab warns you if the box is not locked onto the bike.

Archived