IGNORED

Any experience with ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid?

Tom R.

I don't recall seeing any discussions on this board on ATE Super Blue brake fluid. (It's also available in an Amber color.)

I like the idea of being able to see a change in color indicating a thorough flush. Anyone have any pro's or con's?

I've never used it but there are just a few things you have to look for in brake fluid: DOT rating. Use at least 3 but 4 is better. Compatibility with old fluid. and boiling point which is a function of DOT number. I did a google on this fluid and it looks first class. A little expensive. I would just buy the stuff at 1/2 price and flush a little extra through. You really shouldn't keep unused brake fluid after it is opened so figure out how much your system holds, buy that much and flush it all through. Boiling point isn't so important on motorcycle brakes since the pistons are so much larger compared to the rotors than on cars it is unusual for motorcycles to boil their brake fluid. More important is to change it frequently to keep it from becoming acidic and attacking your expensive brake components. ATE says you don't have to change it as often. I'd be skeptical of that, just as I don't believe that synthetic oil is a viable way to extend oil change intervals. Finally, I saw some mention that the blue might stain: big deal, brake fluid eats paint, some elastomers, and who know what else. You should never get it on anything...oh, maybe they're talking about staining the reservoir. That might make it hard to check the level. I don't know about that.

Cheers,

Jerry

The ATE fluid is definitely expensive. Since this will be my first DIY flush, I am not sure what to expect in regards to the color of the old fluid versus the new. For those who flush frequently, the change in color would be helpful.

It seems most manufacturers sell brake fluid in the same size large & small bottles. The small is not likely to be enough. The large too much.

Many years ago, I saw how quickly brake fluid could ruin paint. At my first job, in an auto repair facility, we used to save waste brake fluid and use it to clean the really nasty spots on the shop floor.

Sorry never thought to take a picture of old brake fluid, but even with annual flushes it is fairly easy to see the difference between old and new fluid without the need for added dye. A pint will do the non-servo brakes, but may not be enough for the servo system. I use a pressure bleeder and just buy a quart and toss what's left.

TR.

Used it for years in cars.....I recently bought 2 x 1litre cans..1 blue 1 gold for my RT's EVO brake service. Using the blue next week and then the gold for the service following that. It's DOT4

Archived