IGNORED

Replacement Heated Seat

Albert

Hi All,

I notice a fair amount of RT owners add replacement seats. Coming from the world of HD I understand the practice well. My question is, since I've ordered the heated seats for my RT, if we find the need to replace the seat, do the aftermarket outfits offer a heated option that is compatible with the BMW stock hook ups.

Thanks,

Al

Not 'plug-and-play' so to speak, that I've seen. Still, I would suspect that it could be worked out. Especially if the wattages are close.

Corbin is working on it but has not released the "plug'n Play" system yet. They do have heated seats but with their own switch. I too am waiting on one that can use the BMW stock handlebar mounted controls. My guess is that Corbin will have one within 6 months. Rick Mayer can rebuild your existing heated seats keeping the functionality and control but with a much more comfortable seat. Check out Rick Mayer Saddles.

An aside: I take it Rick Mayer and Bill Mayer are brothers, both are sons of the late great saddle maker Bill Mayer, and the two are now competitors? I read about Bill (Jr.) in Rider recently, and also in BMW Owners' News. Only learned about Rick after Googling him following the previous informative posting.

So are the two brothers of equal quality and reputation?

I think they both produce a quality product using completely different approachs. Neither uses their father's approach which was pattened and sold to Russell.

"I sent out my R12RT seat to Russell,the stock heater and wiring are reused. Definite plug and play."

I just sent my seat in to Rick Mayer and its the same story. He reuses the seat pan and the stock heaters are used in the custom seat. After procrastinating and researching this to death, I can't wait to get my seat back, which should just be about the time I can start riding in Minnesota again. Here is praying for an early spring. I can't wait for riding season.

Archived