IGNORED

RPM comfort level

TracerBullet

What do you think the optimum RPM is for this bike?

It seems to like a really wide band but I am curious what it should be......

That's a great question. I believe it's higher than one would thinks, around 6k. I ride at a lower RPM, so I need to evaluate this too.

Jay

The question comes back to you. Optimum RPM for what?

Fuel economy? relaxation? overtaking?

Max power = 7,750 rpm,

Max Torque = 6,500 rpm.

The question can't be answered without what you are looking for.

The one that feels right in the seat of your pants and palms of your hand, you feel it when it’s right. Don't over think it.

That is a great point!

Our 650 V Stroms turn over 6000 rpm continuous tank after tank on long high speed travel days ( 75 mph gps ). That is around their torque peak. Is that optimum? No, I didn't like seeing that many rpms. I should get over it, many have well over 100K miles and have been run like that all their life. Just seems too busy.

I would be happy if the '14 RT had a slightly lower rpm in 6th gear. Has the power for it and it would seem more relaxed.

Over on Chromeheads, the topic of RPM's comes up often enough. So often, it is almost by heart that the usual answer from the question of where the sweet spot is depends on what is comfortable. The main thing is that because of the different torque curves and power bands, most riders there do not give the R59 engine enough revs to make the engine happy. The 12C has a rev limiter so no matter how one tries, it will not blow up from over reving the RPM's. More harm comes from the Lugging of it. I would think that the RT's would have the same feature. I do not know for sure. One thing I know though, These engines do not like to be babied with a slough rider. As we say on C/H's, "ride it like you stole it!"

Max power = 7,750 rpm,

Max Torque = 6,500 rpm.

Respectfully disagree. To paraphrase another post, If it feels right in the seat of my pants and in my hands, it does not mean it is the sweet spot for the engine.

I am looking for what the engine wants.

Max power = 7,750 rpm,

Max Torque = 6,500 rpm.

Respectfully disagree. To paraphrase another post, If it feels right in the seat of my pants and in my hands, it does not mean it is the sweet spot for the engine.

I am looking for what the engine wants.

Feel free to disagree.

This is an engine! it has a broad 'power band'

My statements above hold true that it depends at any one time what you are trying to achieve.

You ARE, as Kitsap says, overthinking this.

I shall say no more on the matter.

• 2 weeks later...

A good litmus test is when you don't feel any vibration on the foot pegs.

When the engine feels smooth.

It seems like this new wet boxer has a wide band of pulling power so its not like older engines that had a narrow parameter of balance.

I thought that at 60mph the engine seems effortlessly rolling the bike along. But I am just guessing.

My 2007 12r is happy between 3500 & 8k 22,000 miles on that bike. Its in the shop for a clutch (oil seal went) but the new 14 plate 12r loaner doesnt feel half as happy being revved, bit buzzy might be the low mileage peraps.

Then again the 97,000 mile 2007 RT12 I had before I binned it was fairly rough later on.

So, individual bikes may vary?

Archived