IGNORED

2002 RT transmission knock?

chrisstroh

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2002RT with 47k. I've ridden it about 350 miles and have noticed something a little odd when its completely warmed up. I started hearing a knocking sound (like a rod) and was relieved to find that I can change it's noise by pulling in and out on the clutch lever.(This was done in neutral). Sometimes I can make it go away but it always comes back. My question would be what in the tranny could make a sound like this? Or is it something else? This is my first beemer but this doesn't sound normal.

Thx,

Chris

Hi all, I recently purchased a 2002RT with 47k. I've ridden it about 350 miles and have noticed something a little odd when its completely warmed up. I started hearing a knocking sound (like a rod) and was relieved to find that I can change it's noise by pulling in and out on the clutch lever.(This was done in neutral). Sometimes I can make it go away but it always comes back. My question would be what in the tranny could make a sound like this? Or is it something else? This is my first beemer but this doesn't sound normal.

Thx,

Chris

This sounds to me like it amy be cam-chain tensioner knock, which is fairly common. Ususally this goes awy when the engine revs pick up, as the tensioner is oil-pressure driven. There is a modified tensioner available which adresses this and is a simple swap-out.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Sorry but get it to a dealer ASAP.

i had the same problem, inc the "going away when the clutch is in". Was a blown bearing and if not fixed you can do the splines, clutch and potentially gearbox.

I hope I am wrong and it is just the tensioner ... just be safe and sure.

I was lucky.

Paul

ShovelStrokeEd

It could be serious and it could be nothing more than the input gears in the transmission boinging back and forth on each other in response to the constant acceleration/deceleration of the crankshaft at idle. Despite what your tachometer says, the motor is not smoothly purring along at 1050 RPM, its going back and forth from about 900 to 1200 in respnse to power pulses from the pistons and drag of the rings on the cylinder bores.

I certainly would have a dealer look at it but wouldn't be too surprised to hear him say "they all do that."

Both of my BMW's have done that. If, while in neutral, the sound disappears when you pull the clutch lever in and reappears when you let it out, it's the classic BMW dry clutch sound.

Check out some other R-bikes and you'll probably hear the same sounds. If it's the same sound, there is nothing to worry about.

Chris,

Here's another vote for "don't worry, be happy"; among the bmw-specific acronyms is "TADT", meaning, well, they all do that, i.e., make knocking noise in neutral w/clutch lever out. Now, another beemer acronym is PTTR, "pull to the right", another harmless bmw idiosyncracy.

Best wishes for you and your beemer.

Wooster

Oh yah, what did grape say when stepped on ? Nothing, just made a little wine.

Thank you all for your help! I'll keep an EAR out! I am a little disappointed in BMW. I thought with all the technology out there they would have all these problems solved. I wonder if a WWII beemer would have the same tensioner knock? Or the surging? or the spline problem?

I'm certain every model had their issues too. These new motocycles <insert manufacturer> are far more complicated that those built in WWII. If you don't like what BMW provides, you can always try a different brand of motorcycle.

ProductUser

Don't get me wrong, I love my beemer. I used to have a 75 Harley dresser for 23 years. During that time, my second bikes have been BSA's, Triumphs, and one Moto Guzzi. I've never had a beemer, but they sounded so smooth and I know about German engineering. I wanted something more refined than my previous bikes and I got it. I just didn't expect the strange noises as it reminds me of my previous bikes. It's not a problem, I just want to make sure that it's normal.

Chris

Archived