IGNORED

How I added an Audio Out (with Picture Goodness)

Aussiegazza

Got around to getting the parts to do the job. Decided on an approach and it all worked out.

My aim was to get an audio out plug into the RH storage compartment so I can easily add an SM10 BT to allow radio to be broadcast to 2 headsets.

I wanted to use the RH compartment for 2 reasons:

1. This is where there is a USB power availability (to power) the SM10, and

2. A good and accessible place to put the SM10.

I decided that I did not want BT and speakers to be working at the same time, so I left the speakers disconnected. Easily reversed, or you can run both at the same time.

I had done this before on my R1150RT, so I only needed to find an easy place for the audio output transformer, that also had easy access to the wiring.

The transformer has 2 wires for the left speaker input, and two wires for the right.

Output is via 2 RCA connectors. I bough an RCA to audio out convertor lead to plug into this, Then I ran a male audio to female audio lead to the RH storage compartment. This allows me to also disconnect the audio lead at the GPS compartment if I want to remove it.

I felt that behind the GPS mount had possibilities, and I was right.

Took off the windscreen, two screws for the GPS mount panel, and the bottom is attached by two rivets that push into grommets. It pops off if you pull upwards.

Flipped it over and looked good to me:

100_3332_zpscf33c18c.jpg

I drilled a hole on the left as you look at it to make it easy to zip tie the transformer on. Take the front panel off so you do not drill through it too:

100_3334_zpse5e7f34f.jpg

Make sure that you feed the zip tie behind the GPS removal button's shaft.

I chose to put water proof connectors on so that the panel can still be easily removed if required. Also crimped connectors are more reliable than solder joints etc. This is my crimper:

100_3335_zpsdb4dbc56.jpg

This is a box of connectors I bought off Ebay for the R1150RT job. You need a good crimper.....

100_3336_zpse1023047.jpg

I used Utilux Connectors to connect the speaker wiring to the transformer, but they are not terribly reliable, so be warned:

100_3337_zps8691580b.jpg

You can now test it by turning on the radio, selecting speakers, and test with ear buds etc.

The three connector at the GPS panel:

100_3338_zps1b49e288.jpg

I took the compartment out. There is one screw in the compartment, and two under the RH panel. Also disconnect the central locking:

100_3340_zpse61022ad.jpg

Pulled the grommet from the back of the compartment, as I decided to drill through it to get the audio out through it:

100_3339_zps8bb7b398.jpg

Drilling does not make a large, clean hole, but this is an advantage as it will seal better, You need to really work at getting the larger connector end through the smaller hole:

100_3341_zpsb97b76cc.jpg

Put it all back together and IT WORKS.....

Volume is controllable via the audio volume control etc.

Waiting on a new SM10 as my old one went with the R1150RT....

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new SM10 and it all works as hoped.

Also got a short USB-microUSB cable and can power it in the audio compartment. :-)

Garry

Garry,

I too have the Sena SMH10 and have been very happy with the integration. When you state you got a short USB cable to power.....is this to charge it when needed? Or are you plugging into side pocket and having connectivity while in side pocket? Thanks for clarification!

You can leave it on charge all the time as you use it.

I did this on my R1150RT and did not have any issues for 4 years.

You do no then need to worry about charging it.

I will still turn it off and on as I use it.

Garry

• 3 weeks later...

Is the audio output transformer referenced in Garry's great post something that is already part of the bike system or was it added as part of this modification???

I bought it from Jaycar in Australia. They have a web page.

You can see the part number.

You should find similar at other audio stores.

Garry

• 4 weeks later...

Garry et al.....I'm in the middle of the "surgery" and know just enough to be dangerous. Windshield and front panel are off and I have access to the back of the GPS connector. Feel comfortable with mounting the transformer, but how did you access the speaker wires? Did you remove the speakers? If so, how? If not, ???

Thanks!

How to remove the speakers is in the manual. They need to be taken out to change the high beam bulbs. One screw for the cover and three? for the speakers. Easy as.

Garry

• 3 weeks later...

It matches the amplifier's speaker impedance to that required for an audio out (there ARE standards). Correct audio out impedance is required when it is then fed into another electronic item.

You can just connect to the speaker wiring, but this has the potential to cause load problems on the amp, especially if the speakers are removed, with possible failures of amp or connected equipment. If impedances do not match, then volume levels etc will not match and you may need to run the amp at higher volume levels.

• 5 months later...
dave_albany

Gary, the transformer is needed why? I thought you might be able to just tap into the right and left speaker wire. Then splice on the earbud female end.

Thanks

Jumper

Aussiegazza

See my response above.

It may very well work by just tapping into the wires (especially if you leave the speakers connected), but is not recommended.

Garry

Gary, the transformer is needed why? I thought you might be able to just tap into the right and left speaker wire. Then splice on the earbud female end.

Thanks

Jumper

It does work without but the volume is too high, you have little to no control over it.

Jay

Archived