IGNORED

Spline Lube Question

DaveyMac

Well I got underway this weekend. And I consider Myself one of the luckey ones. My splines were looking new, no rust, no wear, & even had Factory grease still on them.

I lost the torque specs for the carrier bearing bolts. Left side is like only 7nm but whats the spec on the 30mm locknut, right is what? 125-150nm.

Please correct me

56108889-S.jpg

Dave eek.gif

Not sure if there is difference between 1100RT and 1150RT or not, but what ever it's worth the specs for 1150 are:

160Nm for the fixed stud bold

160Nm for the locknut

7Nm for the "floating" stud bolt

--

Mikko

Well I got underway this weekend. And I consider Myself one of the luckey ones. My splines were looking new, no rust, no wear, & even had Factory grease still on them.

I lost the torque specs for the carrier bearing bolts. Left side is like only 7nm but whats the spec on the 30mm locknut, right is what? 125-150nm.

Please correct me

56108889-S.jpg

Dave eek.gif

Glad the splines were good Dave. The pic bothers me, I sorta get the feeling yer RT is shootin the moon at us blush.gif

BTW Its a "00" 1100

How many miles?

Why did you do it?

Any tricks to getting that Boot back on between Swingarm & Back of Trans

Grease it up well where it will slip over the tranny projection. Grease that too. Install swing arm. Wiggle swing arm up and down while pushing on any part of the rubber that doesn't slip on by itself.

Stan

How many miles?

Why did you do it?

I bought this bike 2yrs ago with 5600mi. on it. Being it was now 6yrs old in model years, and all the talk with others miss fortune. I wanted a base line were bike stood. Now I have it! It now has 16000mi on it.

Does all this seem foolish? Maybe? Well I just need to know, I plan on keeping this one. thumbsup.gif

If it's foolish, then I'm foolisher wink.gif

Getting a spline lube done on my RT in May... just in case. Has only 40,000KM's. This will buy me peace of mind and I'll get to know the bike that much more. I can deal with a broken cable of fan belt when far from home but really don't need a stripped spline.

I'm with lou99, I did a spline lube with 18k miles since i was having down shifting problems. call me foolish too , took 8 weeks to do over last winter with all the snow on the ground, I took my time, It gave me something to do.

i gave it a good going over, i was surprised how many bolts were loose. i spent lots of time taking pictures and documenting things, drinking beer, i rerouted wires, did a canistorectomy, new battery and other clean up. I pushed and pulled on everything, i even found one of the rear pivot bearings had gone bad which i don't think the dealer would of found. i also ran into trouble when i must of not seated the fuel line coupling all the way which popped the fuel line off of the filter in the gas tank. With help of others on this board I found I was able to find and fix the problem. Had it all back together for the first major ride of the year, which was a track day. If you have the patience, space and time go for it. When your half way (all apart) it's a little scary and you think am I going to get this thing back together. I would do it again without hesitation..

Thanks, Eric, I was at your site looking at your pic's! Im adding a Aux. fuse box for Stuff I'm adding like:

• Driving lights
    Headlight on relay
    Hardwire XM radio
    Hardwire Autocomm

And all the other stuff you mention, thigten here, pull shake there....

DaveMac

DaveMac, my site was down for a while so i'm glad i got it back up a week ago, however i missing a lot of info since i had to almost start over, no backup. i took a ton of pictures and my plan was to put them into the word document, it just happens yesterday i was putting a report together for a client and i figure an easy way to scale all my pictures . maybe i'll get a chance to work furthure on my spline lube procedure and add the pictures.

so little time

JUST CHECKED AND I HAVE A REVISED PROCEDURE STILL NO PICTURES BUT MUCH IMPROVED

Send me a PM with email address and i send new procedure, can't edit my site for some reason, it was migrated this week to new servers by my hosting company

Archived