IGNORED

Service indicator reset

C Wallace

Time for the 6000 mile service on my RTLC, which apparently is just an oil change. This I can do myself, but does anyone know how to reset the service indicator? Is there an OBD reader that works with this bike?

Don't think so. The new GS-911 wifi will have this capability, but their website is still showing this as a feature of their next beta software. I'm not aware of any other reader that works on BMW motorcycles except the dealer computers.

Maybe a piece of this until Hex code gets the GS-911 up to date?

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the Hexcode GS-911 wifi and used it today to reset the indicator. Was able to see fault codes as well, but apparently there were none.

Getting the GS-911 set up was a bit of work, but Ted at the Beemershop gave me all the info I needed.

It's a bit spendy, but should pay for itself pretty soon.

I just bought the Hexcode GS-911 wifi and used it today to reset the indicator. Was able to see fault codes as well, but apparently there were none.

Getting the GS-911 set up was a bit of work, but Ted at the Beemershop gave me all the info I needed.

It's a bit spendy, but should pay for itself pretty soon.

Glad you got the support you needed from Ted Porter. I didn't have any trouble, didn't even read the instructions, other then the quick set up guild. The hardest part to figure out was changing a setting from Metric to Standard but that was still easy after I poked around a little.

Jay

The hardest part is coughing up $300 for a gizmo that you might use once every 6000 miles...

Yeah, I look at it as a toy also.....BUT, point me to where you can get one that is compatible with the wetheads for $300!!!!!?

I can't justify the purchase of at this time. I am lucky to have a dealer and an independent BMW shop that I trust nearby. Even if I had the unit and successfully read (and understood) the fault codes, I would probably just head to one of the shops to correct the problems anyway. So, yeah...$300+ is A LOT of money to spend on a service indicator re-setter.

The GS-911 is a lot more than a code reader. It can directly test some functions and has the ability to log real time data from all the engine sensors and export it to a spreadsheet for analysis

If you are capable of understanding that info and using it, it is a very helpful diagnostic tool for many more subtle issues that leave no codes. But you have to have the basic knowledge or be willing to ask around for help on the hex code site or other places users hang out.

Dealers will generally reset the service indicator for a nominal charge if you bought maintenance materials from them so in that respect its not worth the price. But if you own more than one BMW or plan to keep yours and do all repairs on it because the dealer is too far away or just because you're too cheap, its easily worth the price.

Mine goes with me on trips, along with a netbook loaded with its software plus the RepROM (factory shop manual) disc and some downloaded parts fiches. With my toolkit,that's a pretty complete wayto deal wth issues that don't invovle a dead electronic modules for which I'm not carrying a spare (I carry a spare EWS ring and fpc).

Last week I used mine to help a buddy confirm that the his ABS unit was indeed deceased, likely from stuck brushes so rebuildable, (but possibly something more serious- can't tell until its examined after removal)

Archived