IGNORED

Mounting Auxiliary LED LIghts Yourself - Help Needed

Aussiegazza

Has anyone done this?

Hopefully easy enough, but any help would be appreciated (eg where to connect to main harness etc).

I understand that I need to get the ECU updated by dealer to make it all work correctly.

Garry

Has anyone done this?

Hopefully easy enough, but any help would be appreciated (eg where to connect to main harness etc).

I understand that I need to get the ECU updated by dealer to make it all work correctly.

Garry

Yes I installed mine. It’s plug and play with a little help form the dealers computer as you noted. Remove the top left side panel, you’ll see the connection. It has a cap/plug on it to protect it. I used a pick to release the plug, easy… use a flashlight you’ll see the tab you need to lift

Jay

In addition to what you and Jay have already noted, the lights mount to existing holes which makes the installation very easy. Once I mounted the lights, I routed the wiring harness through the bike and used low profile zip ties (these don't leave anything exposed to cut your hands in the future) to secure the harness. I used a level to determine where I initially wanted the lights and adjusted them several times after I rode the bike.

The learning points for me were where the existing plug was located (as Jay mentioned, under the left fairing) and I didn't know the dealer had to flash the computer to recognize the lights. When I did this, the bike was new enough that even the dealers didn't know where the existing plug was, and after I thought I had screwed something up, one finally told me they had to activate the lights.

What are you using for a switch to turn the lights off/on? I assume you are not buying the BMW switchgear for bikes coming from the factory with these installed?

What are you using for a switch to turn the lights off/on? I assume you are not buying the BMW switchgear for bikes coming from the factory with these installed?

Part of the kit is that the LHS Clutch bracket will be replaced with one that has the push button integrated in the new bracket.

Part of the kit is that the LHS Clutch bracket will be replaced with one that has the push button integrated in the new bracket.

Yep buying the whole kit that includes the switch and its mount that goes next to all the other switches on the clutch lever.

Garry

• 4 weeks later...

When I ordered mine, I went through Chris at All Seasons in Ohio and told him I wanted everything required. I was told by multiple dealers there isn't a part number for the entire kit and they order everything individually.

Pics?

Left Rider's side. The wiring to the LEDs was temporarily routed in this pic to allow me to test it all:

100_3342_zpsa35feabc.jpg

Right rider's side:

100_3343_zpsc3a179f5.jpg

Switch. Note that the replacement clutch bracket part actually goes on 'upside down' as the 9 Nm torque setting cast into it must be upside down so that the screw hole is at the bottom:

100_3344_zps91632116.jpg

Where the LED harness connects under left front Tupperware. The connector on the left is where you connect.

The new harness comes down from the switch and clips on beside the original connector.

Take out the dummy seal in the original connector and plug in.

The wires then run from the new connector to the LED lights.

100_3345_zpsc457ba1d.jpg

Garry

• 2 months later...

The Red/Purple wire in that connector makes for a very nice trigger wire for a relay. It comes on with the key and goes off about 2 - 3 seconds after key off.

Tom

Archived