IGNORED

Mirror bracket for RT LC

Norm LeFevre

I remember a post where a bracket was shown that replaced the OEM brackets for clutch and master brake master cylinders. It was simply a replacement with a threaded opening at the top for mirror stalks or other items. I'm thinking of using them for some RAM mounts, and can't find the original post.

Can anyone remember where they came from. Thanks

Hello Norm

This one will fit without replacing your OEM bracket: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAM-Mount-Motorcycle-Brake-clutch-reservoir-base-w-2x1-Ball-RAM-B-309-2U-/151445063578?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2342d4479a

The round standoffs will fit directly in the recess of the original OEM Bracket. Those standoffs are also made of plastic and will distort if tightened hard ( a good thing).

If you would add this to both sides then you will have "4" RAM balls.

The bolts that come with the kit directly thread into the existing threads.

All you have to do, to achieve a really neat job, is shorten those round plastic standoffs to your required lengths. Easy to do as they are plastic.

Just use some blue locktite on the bolts to play it safe.

Safe the original bolts so if you replace your bike one day, you can restore it to original in minutes without anybody ever being wiser that this was changed.

Thanks Rob,

It seems that the Wunderlich item is virtually the same as the BMW item. I've ordered the BMW part from my dealer and may put some GS mirrors on.

According to the parts guy the mirrors will not fit when the windshield comes down with the ignition comes down.

This is my preferred mirrors. Had them on my '07 RT and now on my '15 RT.

56657d1400595793-new-rtw-dsc_1311.jpg

Who makes those, PadG? I like the looks of them.

Are they free of vibration-induced blur? Since they are mounted at the bar ends, I'd think they'd be more prone to that than mirrors mounted further inboard on the other side of the grips.

The mirrors are Japanese, Napoleon Barren. You need to make some modifications to make them fit, but easily dine with a Dremel tool with cut-off blade and an emery drum. This is where I stole the idea from:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=23554&Number=245347#Post245347

Originally from this very forum! The only place that I have found to buy the mirrors are on eBay, and they are fairly inexpensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-NAPOLEON-Bar-End-Mirrors-Black-2-Mirrors-Pair-Right-and-Left-AP-104-/351126801461?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51c0c9cc35&vxp=mtr

They are very good with regard to vibrations, meaning that there are no vibrations until well into 70+mph. At least, that was based on my '07 RT. I don't remember if I had detected any vibrations at all on the '14 RT (while I was riding that).

Thank you PadG.

As much as I like them, they may not be a great option for me. I'm not very confident about my ability to successfully implement dremel tool modifications to my RT. That idea just doesn't appeal to me. That and the fact that my preferred cruising speed is closer to 90 than to 70 suggests this may not be the best option for me.

Thank you PadG.

As much as I like them, they may not be a great option for me. I'm not very confident about my ability to successfully implement dremel tool modifications to my RT. That idea just doesn't appeal to me. That and the fact that my preferred cruising speed is closer to 90 than to 70 suggests this may not be the best option for me.

No, not on the RT! You need to hack off a die-cast boss on the mirror itself. Heaven forbid, I wouldn't go near my RT with a Dremel tool either!

Archived