IGNORED

Left side switch cluster

cris nitro

Morning all;

Recently I started a thread about my ESA (preload) not working as well as the radio wonder wheel. I took it to my closest dealer and they checked it out and determined it needed a new left switch cluster. So they ordered a new one and it sounds like the problem is resolved. They are waiting on longer screws to arrive as the new switch requires longer ones than the original.

I asked them about BMW covering it even though it is out of warranty. It is a 2010 1200 RT and is approx. 18 months out of warranty. They came back to me and said it is too far out of warranty to cover the cost. So I told them that I would cover the costs and start climbing the corporate ladder to see if I can get any reimbursement.

So I am looking for any advice on how to go about taking the next step. Who to send a letter to, the best approach, etc.

Thanks,

Cris

Hi cris,

Just as an FYI, my riding buddy has a 2010 R1200RT and they covered the left switch, fuel strip and fuel pump recall all on BMW's tab.

On my 2012 R1200RT the replaced the left & right switches - no charge.

To get this done we just kept going into the dealership, reporting malfunctions when they happened over a two summer period.

All of a sudden they said - OK

I am guessing others will chim in and suggest calling the BMW NA rep.

But we have since learned all the dealerships are aware of this, but BMW is coaching their service dept to deny claims. This came from a person who worked at the dealership. (beer was involved)

Not real sure why acquiesced for us, but they did.

Good luck.

Hi cris,

Just as an FYI, my riding buddy has a 2010 R1200RT and they covered the left switch, fuel strip and fuel pump recall all on BMW's tab.

On my 2012 R1200RT the replaced the left & right switches - no charge.

To get this done we just kept going into the dealership, reporting malfunctions when they happened over a two summer period.

All of a sudden they said - OK

I am guessing others will chime in and suggest calling the BMW NA rep.

But we have since learned all the dealerships are aware of this, but BMW is coaching their service dept to deny claims. This came from a person who worked at the dealership. (beer was involved)

Not real sure why they acquiesced for us, but they did.

Good luck.

Thanks, RSH. The fellow that sold me the bike had the fuel pump done under a recall, he gave me the recall letter. But my dealer says there is no recall for the switches. So I am picking up the bike today, paying the bill and will write a letter to BMW.

I was looking for the best way to go about this.

Archived