IGNORED

RT running poorly from cold

chrismckay

Hello guys,

I have been away a trip on the RT up the West Coast of Scotland.

The bike was running poorly at cold start up, unable to stop her stalling until about 5/10 minutes of ride time.

This is a new problem, only changes is the air temperature is a litle colder and also I did a very intensive clean when returning from my European trip, proding about with little brushes and stuff so I may possibly have upset a plug or sensor!!

The bike wants to idle at 800rpm from cold before stalling.

Im not very mechanical minded so would appreciate some opinions on the subject

Chris...

Morning Chris

What bike are we working with here (model & year)?

Hello Dirtrider,

Its a 2012 RT1200 with 9000 miles....

Evening Chris

Without stored error codes it is just a big guessing game.

It could be as simple as a fouled lower spark plug, to a bad stick coil, or even an engine sensor acting up (or partially disconnected), or possibly one of your idle actuators acting up.

Did the battery go dead at any time on the trip? If so then do new TPS relearn.

If you are going to try to repair it yourself without help from a GS-911 then start by looking at (or replacing) the lower spark plugs.

If that doesn't help then go over ALL the engine sensors you can find & make sure they are fully plugged in.

If still an issue then disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes, the hook it back up & do new TPS relearn.

Other the that you are probably going to need to get the stored codes from the fueling computer to get an idea of where to start looking.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Could you have dislodged the right side throttle cable ferrule at the throttle body? Not sure if that matches the symptoms but.......

Archived