IGNORED

Any issues with the Gray matte finish on the RT's?

ehc0720

I've heard things like rubbing too much to get say bug goo off will create shiny spots, also things like a tank bag could constantly run due to vibrations creating a shiny spot. Any one here seen issues with this paint?

I've got a little shiny spot on my left side panel. (knee?) I really have no Idea how it happened because I don't usually hug the tank. But yes, the unpainted plastic accent pieces seem to be sensitive to this.

Bugs....Hydrate them before wiping. :thumbsup:

Pat

My brother's Matte Gray GS is unbelievably hard to clean properly... it convinced me never to buy a matte colored bike, no matter of tempting the price. :dopeslap:

I have the Callisto Gray as well and really like the color and the Matte finish. I have had no problems maintaining the paint. I tend to wipe my bikes down frequently with microfiber rather than washing them. For me it has always been easier to keep a bike clean than it is to get a bike clean. I occasionally use the Matte finish detailer available from the Chemical Guys which seems to provide a surface sealant which makes it easier to remove bugs and other road dirt.

There are things that will damage or scratch your paint regardless of what kind of clear coat you have. If you identify these , i.e. your knees hugging the tank, the attachment system of your particular tankbag, etc., and take some action to preclude damage you will not have any problems. For example, I put Wunderlich tank pads on my new RT before I had a chance to mar the finish with my knees. I put a strip of Snyders paint guard film where I saw the potential for my tank bag to touch the paint. I would have done these things with any color or type of paint.

Ive had no issues with rubbing or chemicals causing shiny spots for the first 6k miles that i have ridden.

I have been using Chemical Guys matt finish products to clean and protect the paint and it seems to work well.

However, i did just purchace a 3m matt finish film from The Tank Slapper to put on the tank to keep my knees from scratching the paint.

Zero issues with my Callisto Gray after 5k miles, love it and the matte finish. Going to get the top box painted to match. Just cleaned it well over the weekend after an weekend run that resulted in major bug splatter. Simple water/soap cleaning resulted in no paint issues 'flaking off' as I had read somewhere else and no shiny spots from cleaning. I too like to keep up with regular wipe downs with a micro fiber cloth. Did pickup the Chemical Guys spray cleaner and it works as advertised.

Zero issues with my Callisto Gray after 5k miles, love it and the matte finish. Going to get the top box painted to match. Just cleaned it well over the weekend after an weekend run that resulted in major bug splatter. snip

I consider the bug splatter a badge of honor :).

Jay

Archived