IGNORED

BMW battery charger

RandyBailey

When I bought my 2013 RT in July, this battery charger was included. I've looked on A&S and Sierra sites and can't find any info on the charger. I'm wondering if it's a maintainer or do I need to disconnect when it's fully charged.

The BMW I used for my older RT doesn't want to work with this bike's electrical system.

IMG_0119_zps8d44699e.jpg

Evening Randy

That is earlier version of the BMW CanBus approved charger/maintainer.

You will probably have to ask your BMW dealer IF that charger is compatible with your 2013 BMW as the new battery is different.

In any case here is the operating instructions, poor as they are--

Click on the link THEN go up near the top & download the PDF (that will give you a clearer version.

Operating Instructions

Thanks for the file.

I decided to see if it works and plugged it in earlier today. About once an hour I checked it and it cycled from 1/3 slowly up to 3/3. I'm not too sure about leaving it plugged in, so I'll just use it if the bike has set for a week or so.

My old charger didn't "see" the battery.

I recall they wanted to be hooked to the bike first, then the wall.

Then folks would freak out watching them because of the light show.

The charger does flip around from different modes on its own. It also simulates a running condition I remember reading from the thick book that came with it. The charge rate would change in a seemingly random pattern.

Also, I fixed two cords over time where they came loose from the box so keep an eye on that with time. When new, they were close to 200.00

I use this same charger on my 2012 R12RT, on my bike I need to turn on the ignition, plug in the charger to the bike, then the electrical source, wait 10-seconds or so and turn off the ignition. As I understand it, this will allow the plug to to stay on through the charging process then the ZFE shuts it down.

As an aside, I have a Garmin Zumo 660 connected to the BMW plug by the triple-tree. When charging the battery with this charger it will energize the GPS plug and the Zumo will end up staying on, I always remove the Zumo prior to charging....

I use this same charger on my 2012 R12RT, on my bike I need to turn on the ignition, plug in the charger to the bike, then the electrical source, wait 10-seconds or so and turn off the ignition. As I understand it, this will allow the plug to to stay on through the charging process then the ZFE shuts it down.

Turning on ignition is NOT necessary with the BMW charger. Just plug it into your bike's power socket and then into your house 120. The charger will "wake up" the zfe and connect to your battery automatically. If this were not the case, then the instructions that came with the charger would have said so. If someone told you differently at your dealer or on another forum, they were mistaken.

Is there any reason I really can't use a battery tender?? I use one on my M6 and that car has a way more complicated Canbus system then the bike. Forget the "approved" does anyone have any experience first hand with a "battery tender"

Is there any reason I really can't use a battery tender?? I use one on my M6 and that car has a way more complicated Canbus system then the bike. Forget the "approved" does anyone have any experience first hand with a "battery tender"

As I said before local BMW dealer use ordinary battery tenders with gator clamps on bikes.

I had their full approval in charging my bike the old fashioned way. Apart from a couple electronic quirks I have learned to live with (and which in my opinion have absolutely nothing to do with the charger), no issues to report so far.

Morning jadkar

That depends---

You can't use a normal battery tender to charge through the standard OEM accessory sockets.

You can use a battery tender to charge (IF) you charge directly to the battery posts or add a wire pig tail to the battery then hook your Battery Tender to that.

Most Battery Tenders (from Deltran) are OK as they limit charging voltage. If you are using the name Battery Tender as a generic name for a standard trickle charger then you have to do some research on the charger you intend to use as the charger can't have a desulfation cycle or otherwise produce over 15 volts (at any time) or it can harm the BMW electronics.

thanks guys.... yes, I do use a "battery tender" from Deltran on the M6 using gator clamps directly to the battery. This is what I was going to be using on the bike this Winter. I have a couple one on the 6, another on my quad and one on my CRX.

thanks guys!!

Archived