IGNORED

6,000 mile brake fluid changes?

bwr

BMW requires changing the brake fluid every 6K. Why? Isn't this a little excessive? I understand that if one didn't ride very much that the fluid could get moisture in it, which is problematic. But if one covers 6K in a month or two is new fluid really necessary?

[i know, to maintain the warranty I need to follow the maintenance schedule, so I'm not likely to skip the fluid change. Just wondering if others think this short interval is over the top]

BMW requires changing the brake fluid every 6K. Why? Isn't this a little excessive? I understand that if one didn't ride very much that the fluid could get moisture in it, which is problematic. But if one covers 6K in a month or two is new fluid really necessary?

[i know, to maintain the warranty I need to follow the maintenance schedule, so I'm not likely to skip the fluid change. Just wondering if others think this short interval is over the top]

What bike are you talking about? For my 2006 1200 RT, it's every two years for the wheel circuits and every four years for the ABS control circuit. I know that you don't have this system on your new RT, but are you sure you didn't misread the maintenance schedule?

They don't require anything.

If there is a problem down the road, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that anything the consumer did or didn't do caused the problem.

Like brands of oil, filters, frequency of service.

That's IF it gets to an arbitrator.

The suggested interval you are speaking of is for the original oilhead. And it is/was every year or 6k miles.

This was changed when the power assisted brakes came out to circuits then full system, then again to extend the period.

Yes, please check your manual.

Guest Kakugo

Here brake fluid change is every 20000km or every year, whichever comes first.

Mind on Hexhead models many owners and PA users reported very serious brake fade, so the lower interval may be a cautionary measure: I know for certain BMW changed the brake fluid they use on bikes a while ago (different part number) but cannot tell if brake fade was cured by it or, as I suspect, by different pads and rotors I installed.

What bike are you talking about? For my 2006 1200 RT, it's every two years for the wheel circuits and every four years for the ABS control circuit. I know that you don't have this system on your new RT, but are you sure you didn't misread the maintenance schedule?

I'd double check that 6k figure or your source. Unless they've done something new, normally with BMW it's what marcopolo said.

I just checked A&S BMW's website, where maintenance schedules for a raft of BMW models are available. While the water-cooled RT schedules are not there, those for the water-cooled GS are. The intervals for changing the brake fluid are as follows:

- "changing brake fluid, front brakes"..."initially after one year, then every two years"; and

- "changing brake fluid, rear brakes"..."initially after one year, then every two years".

Assuming the OP is talking about his water-cooled 1200 RT, I'd have the dealer print out the various maintenance schedules for that model. I expect that the brake fluid change intervals will be the same as the water-cooled GS, but it pays to be certain.

I believe that it might apply to the first 6,000 miles only. I had noticed the same thing on the 6000 miles maintenance check list, but you should note that on the 12,000 miles maintenance check list, it says to check the brake fluid level only! No mentions of changing the brake fluid. IMHO, I would do it at 6,000 miles because it's a very easy job, and then every 2 years, the way that I have always done it for my '07 RT.

I'm talking about a '14 RTW. You guys are correct and I was mistaken: the schedule calls for a brake fluid change at 6,000, and then the 1,200 mile service only calls for an inspection. So, it probably needs only be done every couple of years after that.

Archived