IGNORED

ST speed verified

NakedRider

I took a GPS out with my ST today to verify the speedometer. I have three bikes - A R1200GS a K1200R and the R1200ST. I've been noticing for quite some time that I seem to be going faster around high speed sweepers and hairpins on my ST than the other two by about 5 to 10 miles per hour. I thought it's either the riding position being more comfortable for me (boosting my confidence) or the speedometer is off.

It's not the speedometer. At an indicated 88 it was regestering 86.4. At 72 indicated it was at 71. It's within 1.5 MPH of the GPS. Way cool.

Now I can't figure out why I'm faster on this bike than the K1200R which is extremely stable and has much more power. I know the power doesn't matter so much in turns but it's hard to believe I'm faster on the ST.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Hi NakedRider. I just test rode a K12R and plan to test ride an ST next weekend. I'm not sure why you are turning faster on the ST than on the K12R, but I can speculate. The 12R accelerates so quickly, so I wonder if your entry speed into the corner is less because you are 12R's anticipating acceleration when you roll on the throttle. Also, were you using the same line through the turn on each bike?

Now I can't figure out why I'm faster on this bike than the K1200R ...

Lower CG, less weight, shorter wheel base.

Ok, I'm guessing on the CG. grin.gif

Hi NakedRider. I just test rode a K12R and plan to test ride an ST next weekend. I'm not sure why you are turning faster on the ST than on the K12R, but I can speculate. The 12R accelerates so quickly, so I wonder if your entry speed into the corner is less because you are 12R's anticipating acceleration when you roll on the throttle. Also, were you using the same line through the turn on each bike?

That could be part of it. The fueling is much more predicable on the ST. The R can come on in a fairly abrupt manner. Funny thing is I "feel" more confident on the K1200R since it's more stable and has a superior front end.

It could be that I'm just staying on the gas more consistantly on the ST. Just can't figure it out. Another part of it is that fact that it's a naked and the "feeling" of speed is much higher on the R which may be causing me to slow down also. On the ST you have fairly good wind protection and the speed is more deceptive.

Now I can't figure out why I'm faster on this bike than the K1200R ...

Lower CG, less weight, shorter wheel base.

Ok, I'm guessing on the CG. grin.gif

The wheel base is shorter but it doesn't seem to matter at high speed. Thru switchbacks I'm actually faster on the R since you can be a bit more "violent" with the input due to it's stability and wider bars.

The center of gravity could be part of it. I have the low seat on both bikes. I'm thinking that the overall "plane" of my body may be closer to the center of the bike on the ST which may be helping as well.

I know it takes less effort to ride the ST at high speed due to the wind protection. Just not sure if that's it.

Some of the hairpins are posted 15MPH which I can take at about 48 on the ST. On my GS and KR I usually end up going 38 - 45. Other hairpins are actaully wrap arounds getting on the freeway where on most bikes I can hit 50 - 55. On the ST I can EASILY hit 60. It's quite a difference.

" Another part of it is that fact that it's a naked and the "feeling" of speed is much higher on the R which may be causing me to slow down also. "

You might be onto something there Naked Rider. The ST is a very easy bike to ride fast, consistently, regardless of the road or the conditions. It has a true value of refinement developed in the rider feedback and confidence aspects that so many motorcycles simply do not have.

I'm with Daniel on this issue. The ST is very capable and easy to ride at a fast pace. I'd have been surprized if it hadn't done well in the twisties. thumbsup.gif

Did you also check the speedos of the other bikes?

I've checked the GS. It's withing about 1.5 to 2 MPH as well. Still need to check the KR.

Archived