IGNORED

I have but one regret

Pictou

and that is that the 05 RT I just bought doesn't have ESA. Everything else is pretty much perfect (cruise, heated seats, heated grips, computer, oil level warning, alarm and a large top box). I could have done without the alarm but in order to get the discount I had to choose from one of the 05s that were left. They had no 05s with ESA and the only other ones they had both had radios (which I did not want) leaving me with only one choice.

All I need now is for the snow to melt.

russell_bynum

Congrats on the new RT!

As for ESA...

Toss some Ohlins, Works Performance, or Wilburs suspenders on there. Instead of getting the "one size fits all" stock or ESA shocks, you'll wind up with top-notch units that are cusomtized for your weight, load, and riding style.

...Everything else is pretty much perfect (cruise, heated seats, heated grips, computer, oil level warning, alarm and a large top box)...

I really wish the ST had a factory cruise option.

I had a choice between an 05 fully optioned up, but W/O ESA and an identical 06 W/ ESA. The sales rep talked me out of the ESA option. He convinced me to not spend the extra dough because I rarely ride 2-up so I have no overwhelming need to change the suspension on the fly. I put the money "saved" towards the Nav II system, and I have no regrets.

and that is that the 05 RT I just bought doesn't have ESA. Everything else is pretty much perfect (cruise, heated seats, heated grips, computer, oil level warning, alarm and a large top box).

All the 05's with ESA are down here in COLORADO!!! frown.gif I was looking for the exact bike you purchased, but ended up ordering an '06 'cuz I didn't want the ESA (I'll be adding Ohlins or Works in the near future). Hopefully your snow will melt quicker than it'll take my bike to arrive (April).

Enjoy the ride!

Greg

I agree with pbbeck. I got the same options as you, save for a smaller top box, and I also got the BMW Fantasmacron Stereo 2000 Professional (or whatever the hell is the name they call it) - which most people say is junk. I have no regrets about lack of ESA. I find the handling of the RT to be excellent, and the ride is pretty reasonable. I traded in a Yamaha FZ1 and Harley Road King, which are opposite ends of the spectrum, and the RT handles better than the Yammie, and cruises better than Harley. Both had adjustable rear suspension - the Yamaha with a special tool and 20 minutes of patience, and HD by removing the left saddlebag and pumping up the air suspension with a handpump that cost $69.95 in the 800 page catalog. Give me an under-seat thumb wheel anytime.

I'm ecstatic with the RT. It handles like a dream, fits me ergonomically, it looks a treat, and it performs pretty darn well. Now, just get yourself a Remus slip-on that gives you a little more punch off the line and a nice burbly exhaust note (money better spent than ESA, in my humble opinion). thumbsup.gif

PS: The stereo keeps my wife happy!

I like the idea of being able to easily upgrade the suspension when the stock stuff starts to go south. So as some of you pointed out that could well be a positive. As for the radio - I am thinking I will get a satellite radio and use some sort of in helmet solution (helmet speakers or earphones). I also plan to run the audio from my Garmin 2610 into it as well. I am hoping to pick the bike up by mid-march (earlier if the weather co-operates).

Archived