IGNORED

my new r1200rt report

David Langford

David Langford

I now have 1600 miles on my new (repaired shock) rt. This is my first BMW and I have mixed feelings on this bike. I own an 08 R1 and a 13 Vstrom 650. I am also an avid dirt biker.

I was considering an FJR but after the reviews I read I looked into this bike and ended up with a loaded matte grey bike that has really grown on me. I wanted a sporty but comfortable bike I could travel the country on. It has the top case with it and I am going to paint it to match. It also had the lowered pegs which I like.

The ride, first I really have enjoyed the controls and handling. The seat is firm and not as comfortable as I expected and part of this is because it seemed to slant too much toward the tank-pushing me forward. I have tried the higher setting but same thing, so I removed the bracket that holds the front seat mount and put 3/16th inch bushings under the four mounting bolts and this has fixed the problem making the seat much better for me (I am 6'1") The second thing that bugged me is no handlebar adjustment and the bars are too far forward for me, I want a more relaxed riding position. I have ordered the bar backs from Ilium works and hopefully this will fix that problem.

I find the bike stalls very easily taking off from a dead stop and have adjusted the clutch lever and gotten used to this- but I was surprised as BMW mentioned they have addressed this with a heavier flywheel weight etc. The engine is not as smooth as I expected at low rpms - part of this is because I started shifting when the up-shift indicator came on- now I just ignore it and shift when it feels right. The power is good- not mind boggling and I really enjoy the motor as it feels adequate in every way and does all this bike was designed to do. I love the mileage I am getting with this bike as this helps greatly with the range between fill-ups (52mpg average so far), this includes a couple of 100 plus mph runs but mostly just riding around taking it easy.

The windscreen is the best I've rode behind, the dash readout is great and easy to learn,I love the nav, and love cruise control.

Transmission - I still have a tough time shifting smoothly from first to second and second to third but am getting better at it- very herky -jerky, they could learn a lot from the japs here. The quick shift works great from 3rd-6th but this is really old tech now.

The suspension is really not any smoother once under way than my vstrom, and before I get in trouble for this -read on. I do not like the soft setting as it seem to heave a lot. The normal setting works best for me overall and the hard is really for sport riding. The active suspension kind of leaves me scratching my head as I'm not sure I can tell its changing as the roads change. You can tell this bike handles very well but you can also feel and hear every little road imperfection and asphalt crack, This may have something to do with the low profile tires ?

The handling is great and this bike corners very well,the bike feels light and very stable. I do get some vibration in the bars at freeway speeds but not too bad. The brakes feel perfect to me.

I am a weight freak and have already installed a shoari battery and have ordered a full Remus exhaust- I do not like the way the chrome looks with the matt paint. I am hoping its not too loud but a little sound wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

The fit and finish are great and the quality seems to be very good as I go through the bike. They seemed to pay attention to weight savings and I like this.

Over all I am pleased with the bike and can't wait for my first long trip.

Night lighting is good but I am surprised that its halogen and not something more up to date (led).

The radio is mostly not needed but that's nit picking.

I won't feel its a better value than other brands until I've had it for ten years (I tend to keep things a long time)

I'll post again after some more miles etc.

Best of luck with the new RT. Since your stable includes an R1, it's perhaps not surprising that you find the engine power underwhelming.

I'm only on my second BMW--a 2005 R1200 ST--but I distinctly recall the first few miles after I picked up my first, an R1100 RT. I was moving to BMW after having owned an ST1100 and I remember thinking, "This thing feels like a tractor." Huge disappointment. Actually, crushing disappointment.

What I found, though, was that within the first thousand miles the engine smoothed out and got much more zippy. The handling feel, clutch weight, etc.--all of which just felt wrong on that first day--all became natural. The seat? Not so much. It was a platform for torture and, while I've heard good reports about the latest iteration of the RT, I wouldn't be surprised if you'd be well served by looking at aftermarket seat options.

So, I'd say, just give it a little while. Some of the early negatives may well fade away over the course of a few miles.

And welcome to BMWST!

Hi David, I have re read your post a few times and am struggling with a few things.

Did you test ride this bike before you bought it?

...I was considering an FJR but after the reviews I read I looked into this bike and ended up with a loaded matte grey bike that has really grown on me....

Did you not test ride the FJR to make a comparison?

.. I wanted a sporty but comfortable bike I could travel the country on....The ... thing that bugged me is no handlebar adjustment and the bars are too far forward for me, I want a more relaxed riding position. I have ordered the bar backs from Ilium works and hopefully this will fix that problem.

...It also had the lowered pegs which I like.

I'm sure the Illium works thing will help, but that seems to contradict your desire for a 'sporty' riding position - along with the lowered pegs).

...The seat is firm and not as comfortable as I expected and part of this is because it seemed to slant too much toward the tank-pushing me forward....

Yes I found it way hard too. It seems many folk have gone down the aftermarket seat, but I feel BMW have got that bit wrong. Maybe they will bring out a comfrot seat as they did on the 1100RT!

...I find the bike stalls very easily taking off from a dead stop and have adjusted the clutch lever and gotten used to this-...

Hardly fair as this is a rider technique issue.

... The engine is not as smooth as I expected at low rpms - ..

This is a boxer engine of 1200cc. You are, I believe not feeling so much vibrations as firing impulses. These are smooth bikes.

...The power is good- not mind boggling..

In comparison to what? Your R1? Of course not. In comparison to other tourers it is OUTSTANDING.

In real world useabilty still impressive.

... I love the mileage I am getting with this bike as this helps greatly with the range between fill-ups (52mpg average so far),...

Yep, again pretty impressive.

.. The windscreen is the best I've rode behind...

Again I disagree, this is not a particularly good windscreen. If you think that is good you really will be astounded by an aftermarket one that works for your size.

..Transmission - I still have a tough time shifting smoothly from first to second and second to third but am getting better at it- very herky -jerky, they could learn a lot from the japs here...

Agreed.

..The quick shift works great from 3rd-6th but this is really old tech now...

Not for a touring bike it isn't.

..I am a weight freak and have already installed a shoari battery and have ordered a full Remus exhaust-...

I hope you have done the right thing with the exhaust. BMW traditionally perform best with the stock pipes.

.. Night lighting is good but I am surprised that its halogen and not something more up to date (led)....

Agreed. In fact I was disappointed it didn't have the adaptive headlight fitted (at least as an option).

David Langford

I did not test ride the bike I bought, but I did ride a gs 1200. I have ridden several FJR's and liked them but the reviews and options swayed my to try this.

The power is great, all I would ever want for this bike, and mainly to me its not mind boggling- I have owned faster bikes, I really want no more for this bike its perfect. My only gripe is it stalls easier than any of my other bikes on take off- obviously rider technique has a lot to do with this.

you are right on smooth (firing impulse) for a twin and the motor is tight and feels like it will run forever.

I will let you know on the exhaust-most reports say it helps - smooths it out, and I know I'm a nut but I couldn't gel with the chrome, same goes for the silver top-case -its getting painted to match next week.

I definitely did not want a sporty riding position, for this bike comfort is king, the fact that it handles perfect (sporty if desired) is a huge plus.

The way I feel about this bike right now is I will own it 15 years from now and still like it.

Welcome David

There is something not right with your stalling issue.

Mine certainly doesn't stall any easier then my wife's previous Honda 250, or her current Yamaha 600 Diversion, or a Kawasaki 750 Superbike (father In-Law), or any of the other bikes I have ridden.

Maybe yours is just a touch tighter engine wise, while new then most of ours were.

I suggest to take it back to the dealer and let him check it out.

aggieengineer

..Transmission - I still have a tough time shifting smoothly from first to second and second to third but am getting better at it- very herky -jerky, they could learn a lot from the japs here...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is a Japanese transmission.

David Langford

Hmmmmmm, well the Remus exhaust system got in today and so I unpacked and laid it out and the first disappointment hit- five pieces plus the guard. Quality was ok- not as nice as I expected-rough welds and weld slagleft inside the pipe- I ground this down to smooth things out inside.

I then took off the stock system and observed better quality two pieces and it all fit perfectly,and really not that heavy.

I weighed both, stock was 20 lbs 11oz, Remuse was 14 lbs 2 oz, so a net weight loss of only 6.55 lbs. ( the salesman told me it was about half the weight)o well !

Installation was fairly easy despite the directions were a joke and a heat shield screw was missing. The fit was good overall. I did not like the fact that there were four slip joints compared to one (future leak possibilities) The muffler mounting is not firm but overall it looks much better to me than the big chrome stock one. I removed the cheesy looking vinyl sticker on the side as it was scratched .

The muffler was simply a straight through fiberglass packed with a perforated core and the end-cap was a much smaller outlet than the stock one. It has a single screw on one side that holds it in and is made of stainless steel.

With the cap on it was very quiet at idle and cruising at 75, it had a weird tinny snap to it at full throttle, cruising I expected more sound and did not like the sound under hard throttle. Power felt the same as stock but it really was smoother off the bottom.

Removing the quiet cap really made it loud and burbled and NOT a good sound at all.

I am going to modify the end cap and see if I get find middle ground.

Over all I'm not thrilled with the low tech design or quality. I do like the looks MUCH better, and it is lighter.

The slip joints are tight and do not leak, I just don't like 4 of them.

Welcome.

Hope the Remus works, but don't get rid of the stocker.

Time/miles sometimes cures issues new owners have and they find out BMW didn't so such a bad job, esp wrt the exhaust and how the bike runs.

YMMV

Andy,

Windscreens are like saddles,

Dpends on your build.

I've never ridden behind a stock BMW screen on any model that worked for me.

But I'm an outlier.

:wave:

I hope your Remus is as easy to remove as the stocker, I just realized the silencer must be removed to remove the rear wheel.

I didn’t do too well mileage wise, the Z8 also surprised me with its wear. Steel belt showing at 4,900 miles. I was up in Oklahoma at the Indian Nation Rally (BMW of Northwest Oklahoma) talking with a bud that the Z8 does have good wear indicators - WRONG. It looked like the tire was good for 1,500 – 2,000 mikes, I only went at 300. The center of the tire went without warning; they are gone from my preferred tire list.

Jay

Andy,

Windscreens are like saddles,Dpends on your build.

I've never ridden behind a stock BMW screen on any model that worked for me.

:wave:

Well, that may be true, neither have I, but you'd think BMW are missing a marketing opertunity. Sell the bike with the pretty screen, but have an option to buy a screen that actually works as an extra!

Well, that may be true, neither have I, but you'd think BMW are missing a marketing opertunity. Sell the bike with the pretty screen, but have an option to buy a screen that actually works as an extra!

Can't agree with you there Andy

I am 6'2 tall and the standard windscreen works just fine for me.

And BMW does make an alternative screen, it's called the "Comfort Screen", which by the way I have sitting here still in it's box.

I purchased it with the compensation we got for having to park our bikes for a while.

I haven't installed it yet as we are now heading into summer and will use it as a winter screen.

"I find the bike stalls very easily taking off from a dead stop and have adjusted the clutch lever and gotten used to this"

Are you sure you're not accidentally engaging hill start control?

Can't agree with you there Andy

I am 6'2 tall and the standard windscreen works just fine for me.

And BMW does make an alternative screen, it's called the "Comfort Screen", which by the way I have sitting here still in it's box.

I purchased it with the compensation we got for having to park our bikes for a while.

I haven't installed it yet as we are now heading into summer and will use it as a winter screen.

Well Alfred, there are probably more BMW's out there (of all the RT years) with aftermarket screens. I have used the comfort screen (not on the '14 model) and although it is different, it still is generally poor in comparison to many of the aftermarket screens.

However, I am please you are finding it to be good.

I'll admit this is my first RT and most of my previous rides had little or no screen at all. Needless to say, I find the stock screen fantastic! If I get any more "comfort" I may take a nap.

I got a Cee Baily mid screen, I'm about 6'1" with 33-34 inseam, the Cee Baily offers less protection then the stocker. I feel more air on my arms. The helmet is same all good.

I do like the Cee Baily, the dark smoke is great at hiding some dirt between the screen and the mount.

Jay

14R1200RT

05DL650

David Langford

Well I have modified the quiet insert and like thins a little better sound wise, the bike runs great-I've put 300 more miles over the weekend, but overall I have to say I would not buy the remuse again for this bike, it really doesn't sound good for this engine in my opinion. Its not bad and hasn't hurt milage and no leaks I'll see if I like it better with a little more time but right now I like the stock soun much better.

Andy-on the stock screen, I love it, its the best Ive ever had.

I got my Alaskan leather sheepskins and love them as well, still haven't received the bar backs as they are behind in keeping up with demand.

• 2 weeks later...

Been riding for ever (it seems) this is my first BMW and I love it, done about 1500miles. I have also stalled a couple of times but put that down to a lighter engine and dry plate clutch, my daily rider is a 1000cc v twin (almost impossible to stall, it feels like a tractor by comparison) just a question of getting used to the feel. After some misgivings I really like the shift assist, with care you can use it for almost all shifts that don't include 1st gear, upshifting at full chat is amazing, and how I managed all these years without cruise control I will never know :-)

I have also stalled a couple of times but put that down to a lighter engine and dry plate clutch,

Your bike if it's a wethead, has a wet clutch.

I have also stalled a couple of times but put that down to a lighter engine and dry plate clutch,

LOL

I was about to say the same thing.

But he is not the 1st that reports they have stalled the bike a few times.

Don't know what it is as it hasn't happened to me.

Except that this new model range does have a very ON/OFF clutch that requires a lighter touch then we are used to.

The range from disengaged to engaged is very narrow.

Just something to be aware of.

I got a Cee Baily mid screen, I'm about 6'1" with 33-34 inseam, the Cee Baily offers less protection then the stocker. I feel more air on my arms. The helmet is same all good.

I do like the Cee Baily, the dark smoke is great at hiding some dirt between the screen and the mount.

Jay

14R1200RT

05DL650

I just sent my Cee Bailey windscreen back. I am exchanging for their large screen. I didn't notice Much difference between the stock screen and the mid screen. I like lots of protection. The weather here is somewhat "cooler" and probably wetter than TX. :)

I have noticed that using the hill hold option can cause the engine to stall if you do not add a little extra throttle when starting from a stop.

LOL

I was about to say the same thing.

But he is not the 1st that reports they have stalled the bike a few times.

Don't know what it is as it hasn't happened to me.

Except that this new model range does have a very ON/OFF clutch that requires a lighter touch then we are used to.

The range from disengaged to engaged is very narrow.

Just something to be aware of.

LOL Make that three, the wethead does have a wet clutch to me it feels very japanese which for me is a good thing. A bit like the whole bike really, it feels less of a boxer and more like the opposition, I can't quite put my finger on it?

No problems with stalling here even if I engage the hill start control, just give it a bit more power Captain and she screams off.

For me it was just a matter of getting used to the engagement point and it became second nature.

Teddy

David Langford

Quick update, I have not stalled the bike since I have adjusted the clutch lever and installed the Remus exhaust, probably just gotten used to the bike more than anything.

I have installed the bar backs and it is a big improvement, They also stopped what little vibration there was in the bars.

I got the avant fender extender and it keeps the motor clean and looks factory,like it should have been.

I am doing a trip to the twisted sisters starting this afternoon and will report on it.

the next thing I want to get is a pilot back support- any feed back on this? Backup seems the best option at this point.

I also made my own larger kickstand pad. will post picks when Im finished getting the bike how I want it.

David Langford

Quick update, I have not stalled the bike since I have adjusted the clutch lever and installed the Remus exhaust, probably just gotten used to the bike more than anything.

I have installed the bar backs and it is a big improvement, They also stopped what little vibration there was in the bars.

I got the avant fender extender and it keeps the motor clean and looks factory,like it should have been.

I am doing a trip to the twisted sisters starting this afternoon and will report on it.

the next thing I want to get is a pilot back support- any feed back on this? Backup seems the best option at this point.

I also made my own larger kickstand pad. will post picks when Im finished getting the bike how I want it.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings and Happy Halloween:

Just a quick report on the new R1200RT I special ordered last February and received in May. I did not order the ESA option so did not have that issue. Just went over 5000 miles this last week, would have done more but too busy this summer. So far, so good, no problems to report. Fuel economy is averaging about 58-59mpg, worst was 54mpg, and best 62mpg. In addition, the mileage seems to be improving with more miles.

My wife and I took a trip from our home in SE Wisconsin to the Black Hills, now what better way to break in a bike. We did 2100 miles and the overall trip mileage with the fully loaded bike was 56.6. Granted my wife is small, but that's a little BETTER than what our F800 got fully loaded. And the power with the RT is scorching when you need it. Hope everyone got their bike back with the corrected ESA, and are enjoying the ride.

Jeff

2014 Quartz Blue Metallic R1200RT

1973 1/2 R75/5 long frame original owner

Just a quick report on the new R1200RT I special ordered last February and received in May. I did not order the ESA option so did not have that issue. Just went over 5000 miles this last week, would have done more but too busy this summer. So far, so good, no problems to report. Fuel economy is averaging about 58-59mpg, worst was 54mpg, and best 62mpg. In addition, the mileage seems to be improving with more miles.

My wife and I took a trip from our home in SE Wisconsin to the Black Hills, now what better way to break in a bike. We did 2100 miles and the overall trip mileage with the fully loaded bike was 56.6. Granted my wife is small, but that's a little BETTER than what our F800 got fully loaded. And the power with the RT is scorching when you need it. Hope everyone got their bike back with the corrected ESA, and are enjoying the ride.

Jeff

say what, fo fuel mileage #s ?????

your calculator needs new battries...

or

change it to US from metric..

welcome to the forum....

Jeff

Ohhhhh, I get it now

Happy Halloween...

trick or treat and all...

58-59 MPG average... trick, right?

d'milan

Hey, I'm serious about that fuel economy unless the computer is wrong. On the bike I'm in no hurry, just want to enjoy the ride, so I do the speed limit to 5-7 over. The F800ST's best was 72mpg riding solo and averaged around 66mpg solo, again assuming the computer is right. Just went out to the garage to see what RT reads now, 59.8mpg. The 2010 Golf tdi I have averages 51mpg summer and 46 winter, with a best of 62mpg, assuming the computer is right. The R75/5 gets around 45mpg, but it has 220,000 miles.

I got the RT just about on the 40 year anniversary of buying the R75/5 which was purchased new April 18, 1974 (the last left over 1973 at the dealer). Over the winter I hope to pull the fairing and bags off the /5 and restore it to stock. But any nice day I want to be on the RT, just a fantastic bike.

Jeff

The computer gives some funny (not accurate) information. I always set the trip meter when I gas up and then divide the miles traveled by the fuel used. I have never gotten more than 50 mpg on any RT. The better mileages are usually at higher altitude and speeds of 40-50 mph. My "normal" mileage is 39-42 mpg.

So far my computer readout is averaging about 2 mpg higher than what I calculate manually using the tripmeter divided by the gallons used. So that is not too bad. I have only about 2000 miles on it but so far every tank has been in the 46 mpg range. Pretty much the same riding per tank. Looking forward to a few tanks at 75+ to see how it will do on trips!

My old '04 RT would have gotten 41-42 at the same riding and I never got above 45 mpg on it.

I track both the computer readout and the normal miles / gallons method. After 9700 miles, the computer readout is 1.8 mpg high. That's pretty good in my book.

I track both the computer readout and the normal miles / gallons method. After 9700 miles, the computer readout is 1.8 mpg high. That's pretty good in my book.

Yes, the accuracy of the read out is pretty good. But what's your actual fuel mileage? I don't see it in this thread.

I rented a 2014 GS for a day, and squeezed 49 MPG out of it (calculated, as opposed to indicated)for the final 125 miles... 1 up, conservative freeway riding...

Thanks d'milan

Yes, the accuracy of the read out is pretty good. But what's your actual fuel mileage? I don't see it in this thread.

I rented a 2014 GS for a day, and squeezed 49 MPG out of it (calculated, as opposed to indicated)for the final 125 miles... 1 up, conservative freeway riding...

Thanks d'milan

My overall mpg after 9714 miles is 50.9 - Amazing!

Archived