IGNORED

K1200RS issues?

Jim Moore

Hi folks. I am considering a K1200RS. I have seen a few '98 model year bikes for sale at pretty reasonable prices. I am pretty sure that was the first year they came out. Is there anything in particular I should be concerned about with that model year, or any other model year for that matter?

No major problems Jim. Some of the 98's had a problem with the clutch slave leaking at the banjo fitting, a new crush washer cured that. Generally it was such a small leak that there was not much trace of fluid, but it would suck air into the system, causing the clutch not to disengage. Tales of the disc getting fouled are generally related to an owner who just kept adding fluid, not fixing the problem.

The 03 models had some fuel mapping issues that were taken care of with a factory recall for a new ECU.

Lots of good info & folks at I-BMW.com or K-Bikes.com thumbsup.gif

Hey, Jim! Good to "Hear Your Voice" so to speak... in this forum, I mean! thumbsup.gif

I don't know of any real "issues" with the various K's... be aware that the early ones had different handlebar adjustments, I think the earliest may have NOT had adjustable pegs (?) - maybe?

I have had ZERO problems with my 2000KRS. My main beef is that it just doesn't carry enough fuel. I get around 150 miles, then I better be near a gas station! Another thing to consider is that it'll take a bit for your bod to "acclimate" to the ergos on the KRS. Give it a month before trying to change anything. I tried bar-backs, peg lowering kit, "comfort" screen... all gone now! smile.gif

Happy Hunting! And give our best to Heather and your Little One, too! clap.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to start looking seriously for a K200RS. I appreciate the insights.

Denny, momma and baby are doing great. Thanks for the kind thoughts. Best to your wife.

Jim,

2002 brought change to fairing w/turn signals integrated,

ergos (adj bars, footpegs).

The seat on the RS is perfect for some, sporty, slidable, firm.

I prefer the GT, so does my pillion. The rear wheel comes in 5" and 5 1/2" versions. The rear shock also was avilable in a sport version.

Throttle cables were an issue on some, easily fixed.

For a while you'll need to put a post-it on your tank.

SHIFT tongue.gif

It's amazing how fast you can go in 2nd or 3rd gear. dopeslap.gif

Best wishes.

PM me with your price range in case I come across one for you. thumbsup.gif

Is there anything in particular I should be concerned about with that model year, or any other model year for that matter?

Tickets? grin.gif

Don't be concerned about anything else -- unless you're thinking of buying mine... tongue.gif

My main beef is that it just doesn't carry enough fuel. I get around 150 miles, then I better be near a gas station!
Depends on how you ride it. I get 49MPG cruising @ 65-75 MPH in 6th gear and go 185 miles without the low fuel light coming on. Getting 200 miles on a tank is not unheard of. Of course, if you're sport riding at 7K RPM, all bets are off.

Take a look at this post about the problem I've been chasing down with my '98 KRS.

So far, I've replaced most everything I can think of to correct this problem except the ECU that will cost me about $1,000.00 to get. frown.gif

Deaccelerating slightly before a turn at a good clip could cause you to have to pucker up and maybe change your underwear. blush.gif

Throw away the OE Bosch spark plugs and put in NGK Iridium Plugs.

I think the Ref is NGK DCR 7EIX. (you can check this on NGK website)

They cured the problem on my 2003 LT.

Hope the new plugs work for you.

Some useful information to be found on 'Spark plugs.co.uk' in the technical section.

My theory with the LT was that misfire on decceleration allowed unburnt fuel to exit the engine, which the engine management detected and compensated for by reducing fuel injected.

This resulting in fuel starvation when opening the throttle.

Paul Burns

BMW R1200RT 2005

Triumph Bon 2003

Archived