IGNORED

Thinking of trading up

Rob L

I am thinking of trading my 06RT for a buy back 2014RT. The new bike has everything except a top trunk. I am considering buying the $1500 trunk because the bike has the central locking option. Not sure yet and open to suggestions.

The bike is selling for $17500 and they are offering $6500 for my 06 with 62000 miles. The 06 has Hyperpro ESA shocks, Russell heated seats, C-Bailey shield, Wunderlich bars, and a few other extras. The 2014 seems like a good deal. Any opinions?

Make sure the title isn't "branded". If it was a buy back then it probably will be branded. If it was a trade in the title should be clear.

How many miles are on the 2014 and does it have all the options? Seems like a good price.

The bike has 1800 miles and the only option it lacks is the top box.

Make sure the title isn't "branded". If it was a buy back then it probably will be branded. If it was a trade in the title should be clear.

The website says buy back title. Not sure if that will show up on my title or not, but I am not looking to sell the bike anytime soon. I usually keep my Rts until they reach 70-80 k miles. This seems like an opportunity to trade up and save some money.

Exactly the same scenario as you, an 06 RT to the 14 with all options and trunk; I'd do it again.

If you plan on running auxiliary lights order the OEM light brackets and fitment bolts for a very clean installation. I paired them up with Clearwater Glendas that can be adjusted with the Wonder Wheel.

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I will call to set up the deal tomorrow. Looks like this includes a Nav 5 GPS as well. That will be a new experience for me. I have always enjoyed my time lost on the road! I guess the pick up day will depend on the availability of the top trunk. My dealer is 150 miles away.

Exactly the same scenario as you, an 06 RT to the 14 with all options and trunk; I'd do it again.

If you plan on running auxiliary lights order the OEM light brackets and fitment bolts for a very clean installation. I paired them up with Clearwater Glendas that can be adjusted with the Wonder Wheel.

I'll probably see how well the stock headlights work first. This bike has headlight pro.....not sure what that does?

I will also wait on the seat. I have had Russell on all 3 RTs and may opt for another after some seat time.

Add-ons will probably be a larger windshield and a front fender extension. I am leaning toward Cal Scientific and Machine Moto Art for these.

I may lower footpegs after some seat time. My knee begins to hurt on long rides. Suburban Machinery makes a nice kit.

Any suggestions are welcome :thumbsup:

One problem with lowering the foot pegs is that the new 14RT doesn't have the ability to adjust the height of the brake pedal.

I have the Suburban Machinery lowering kit on my 14RT and the brake pedal is definitely too high.

I'm hoping someone will come out with a brake pedal that lowers it about 1" from stock.

I picked the bike up yesterday! Rode all the way there in pouring rain, wind, and a high of 58°. Thank you Gerbings! Coming home, more of the same. Haven't really had a chance to see the bike's potential yet. I DO know that the windshield isn't gonna be large enough for our weather here. I ordered a Cee Bailey mid size shield and a Machine Art fender extension. The engine and exhaust look bad after droning on the highway in the rain for 2-1/2 hours. The horn needs help, too. I am thinking of trying a Harbor Freight, Wolo horn. Anyone tried one of these? I'll post some pictures when I get the bike cleaned up. The weather is not cooperating; more rain and possible frost predicted :(

• 1 month later...

Its been a little while now, how do you like the new bike so far? Have you been able to get out and put some miles on it?

I've got a deal working on a 2014 Buyback and am curious about what you think of yours.

The bike is great! I tried it on some twisty roads in dynamic mode. this bike will fly! I have no regrets trading up, especially at the buy back price. It definitely needs a larger windshield than the factory put on. I am 6'-1" and the weather around here means more protection is needed. I made some other changes to suit me. Overall, I am very happy with the bike.

I traded up last Friday. I picked up a fully loaded buy back, and I mean loaded, every option, plus crash bars and a few other doo dads for a great price. Just 413 miles on it. Best bike i have ever ridden.

That Dynamic mode is going to take some getting used to. I tried on my test ride and it does make the bike jump!

Glad that you both like them, I'm looking forward to bringing mine home!

I use road mode around town and for cruising the interstate. Dynamic is best when the roads become a challenge. The ESA also changes to sport in the dynamic mode, but you can adjust it to normal or soft if you like.

The only niggle I found and I've only ridden 2 Wet RT's so far, - both clutches seemed to pull right out at the end of the lever travel. Being hydraulic I don't think its adjustable, is it?

I'll get used to it with some miles but it's right at the end of my fingers - at least with the winter gloves I had on when I test rode them.

The levers are adjustable.

X2, when I picked up my Wethead RT they had the lever adjusted all the way out, I didn't even make it off the lot before I adjusted it and all is well, like the wet clutch and with the added TQ stalls (even fully loaded) are extremely rare and strictly 'rider brain fade'.

The clutch is very direct, more like OFF/ON. You might change the distance of the lever in relation to the handlebar, but that does in no way change the extremely short engagement range, which can not be adjusted.

The previous model RT's had a far softer and larger window for clutch engagement due to their dry clutch system.

If you owned a previous model RT, then it will take you a little while to become used to the more aggressive clutch engagement.

The previous model RT's had a far softer and larger window for clutch engagement due to their dry clutch system.

If you owned a previous model RT, then it will take you a little while to become used to the more aggressive clutch engagement.

Just give it time, the bike will assimilate you; in a good way.

The clutch is very direct, more like OFF/ON. You might change the distance of the lever in relation to the handlebar, but that does in no way change the extremely short engagement range, which can not be adjusted. The previous model RT's had a far softer and larger window for clutch engagement due to their dry clutch system.

Had to chuckle -- in the '80's we all talked about the BMW dry clutch being "on/off" in nature, not like those smooth, "broad engagement range" wet clutch Japanese bikes!

Had to chuckle -- in the '80's we all talked about the BMW dry clutch being "on/off" in nature, not like those smooth, "broad engagement range" wet clutch Japanese bikes!

I remember that.

The '14's friction zone did take me a little to get used to but I feel like I know it now.

Ok good to know!

I guess after 2 Dry Clutch BMW's I have to give myself a chance to get used to this one.

My HD SuperGlide was wet, but it had a very broad, forgiving friction zone.

On / Off is a very good description! Looking forward to picking it up and getting some miles on it! Thanks for the info

Archived