IGNORED

THe R1150RT

tonyla

I just came back from Connecticuts largest Honda, Yamaha, Kawaski dealership in Plainfield CT. The place is as big as a large Car dealership. Its two floors with about 5 million in inventory. As I was looking over all these bikes I realized just how beautiful my 1150 rt is. I'm I nuts or does the RT how "eyes". I feel in love with the bike a year ago when I bought it and I am just as much in love with it now. I am curoius to your thoghts on the beauty of the RT.

Tony

The R11XXRT range is one of the most perfectly proportioned tourers ever and pays tribute to BMW's extensive wind tunnel testing.

I prefer the looks to my current 1200RT but would never swap back.

The R1150RT is truly the most integrated design of all bikes. The fairing fully encloses the workings without making it look like an oversized scooter. There are few other bikes that attract as much attention.

I have a 04 RT and I agree, it is a beautiful bike. I plan to keep it a long time. The 1200 is a great bike and better in many ways, but not enough better to make me switch. Then again Yankee Doodle Dandy is one of my favorite movies. wink.gif

The R1150RT is truly the most integrated design of all bikes. The fairing fully encloses the workings without making it look like an oversized scooter. There are few other bikes that attract as much attention.

Not only do I think the R1150RT is one of the most beautiful BMWs (R100RS also) it is one of the best looking motorcycles (IMHO) ever. Color matched pannier lids would have made it even better but we all know they would be scuffed after the first trip.

I realized just how beautiful my 1150 rt is.

OK, thanks for saying that. I thought it was just me going a little nuts this winter, because when I pull into the garage and glance at my 2003RT-P, I think what a beautiful thing it is. My wife is probably getting a little sick of me saying, "now THAT'S a nice looking bike"... eek.gif

Last year when I decided to come back to BMW and years away, I looked at the new R1200RT and it looked to Japanese for me. As one dealer put it, "the European bikes are starting to look Japanese and the Japanese bikes are starting to look European." The sharper angles of the 1200's just don't do it for me. The smooth lines of the 1150's were so much more appealing to me.

I know the 1200 is a nice mechanical refinement but I just don't care for the angles. The same thing goes for the new K1200GT and I have seen one in person.

One of the classical themes in Japanese culture is the Crane and I have seen stylized ones that remind me of these designs.

I love my '04 R1150RT, it IS a head turner.

I think very few owners would disagree with you about how nice the bike looks. I would certainly prefer the gearbox from the new R1200 but I don't like the new shape at all. I live in hope that the next model goes back to those nice curves rather than another stealth bomber straight and harsh line look, but I doubt that will happen frown.gif

Well said.

I had a heckuva time choosing between the '05 1150RT I bought, and the 1200RT I wanted. Clearly the 12 is superior in every way but style, and the good looks of the 1150 won me over in the end. No regrets.

One of the classical themes in Japanese culture is the Crane and I have seen stylized ones that remind me of these designs.

Ah grasshopper! You have found the secret... The R1200s are origami bikes! Knew I'd seen those lines before. grin.gif

as an owner of an 04, i couldn't agree more. however, like many things in this world, the more i see the new style, the more it grows on me, although not enough so yet to think of trading even though i would like a little less weight and more power. i am sure the powers that be at bmw would disagree with me, but had they kept the 04 body intact and just modified the chassis and drivetrain, they would have likely sold more bikes (maybe even one to me). just my humble opinion.

ride well everyone.

tom collins

Tom,

I'm with you on this.....although the 1200 is a great bike (and is growing on me) I just love the lines of my 03 RT and it is the same thing with my Bimmer...

don't like the way BMW car design has gone...I have a 1995 E34 525i 5speed (IMHO the last of the "traditional" looking BMW's) and keep her pretty much showroom...I still get admiring stares and enquiries about her.

11 years old this year and drives like a dream. Just like my RT!! grin.gif

Tom,

don't like the way BMW car design has gone...I have a 1995 E34 525i 5speed (IMHO the last of the "traditional" looking BMW's) and keep her pretty much showroom...I still get admiring stares and enquiries about her.

Funny, I keep thinking of my E39 as the last of the traditional looking BMWs... crazy.gif

Tom,

Funny, I keep thinking of my E39 as the last of the traditional looking BMWs... crazy.gif

You guys are both newbies. My E10 is clearly the last of the traditional looking BMWs.

And to get back on topic, bmw_rider's wife is right. Anybody that buys fairing halves to hang on the wall IS crazy.

You got it right! I was sitting here waiting for the snow to arrive, when I read your thread. I got thinking about it and had to run out to the shop and check out my 03RT. Man I love that bike, best looking bike ever built. Thanks DB

Wow! My 96 seems really old compared to all these posts but I don't think I'll ever love a bike more. Every time, and I really do mean every time, I look at it I think "What a gorgeous bike!" I'm a real bike lover and find even the ugliest of bikes apealing but none of them can hold a candle to how my RT makes me feel. thumbsup.gif

Will,

Nice car mate!!!

My comment wasn't meant as a snub to those poor E39 and up owners grin.gifgrin.gif

It's just that the E34 still has the twin exposed Hella's and separate grille assembly and had that "masculine" look about it.

The design of the E39 was, IMHO somewhat feminized (not effeminate grin.gifgrin.gif) but I do like it. Mate of mine had an E39 wagon which, IMHO, was a standout design. However, the new "model" is just plain Fugly and I believe Bangle and his boys were smokin' crack when they designed it. Technological "tour de force" it may be (IDrive anyone eek.gifeek.gif) but it does nothing for me visually or viscerally. Different strokes.....

Tonyla,

I'm very happy you can enjoy your RT, but you posted your message to this board and I'm sure you were optimistic to read all the replies you wanted to see.

I bougt my 2004 RT recently because I also thought it is a very beautiful bike, and I still think it is, but do I now think it is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden? No really.

My bike is in new condition with now than less that 2K miles, but I can't get used to this bike for some reason. The ergonimics are an issue for me, and I don't think its acceleration is very pleasant either. In addition, I never experienced a noisy cluth or transmission like on this bike. And no, there is nothing wrong with my bike; I checked with the dealer and I was told that this is the way this bike is.

I bought my RT six weeks ago because I thought to replace my 2000 Valkyrie Interstate but now I'm having second thoughts. I know I could get 150K to 200K miles on my Valk without major issues ( as many people have already done that ) but I really don't have that confidence on the RT.

Now I'm on the verge of selling it but I still like the look of the bike very much, so I'm now wondering whether I should sell the 2003 KRS or the 2004 RT. Estetically I like the RT much better, but the KRS performs very well and gives me a lot of satisfaction. I wish I could install the KRS engine on the RT and I'd probably have the best exciting bike of all.

I'm also following the Oilhead forum very closely and I can see a great number of mechanical problems with the RT. I'm conparing it with the technical forum of the Honda Valkyries and Goldwings of which I'm a member for more that five years now. The Valk forum has about 23000 members but in comparison I read of about four times of as many techncial problems on the RT forum. I'm quite surprised to read of so many problems on a BMW forum.

Well, I didn't reply to your post with the intention of starting an argument or to offend any RT owner, but I just wanted to make a point. No matter which other bike forum you may visit, you will find people who love their bikes and they also think their bikes are the best in the world.

Pier

smile.gif

Don't give up quite yet smile.gif....Let the bike grow on you!

You can make the adjustments to your bike for your ergo's it is not that difficult. The collective on this board can certainly get you straightened out....

The bike truly will get better the more you ride it and the more miles you put on it.... thumbsup.gif

The honesty of the folks riding Beamers, and especially on this board, is almost legendary eek.gif....we don't b.s. or "gild the lily" regarding our machines thumbsup.gif.

Pier

Thanks for your post. I think its great to get all oppinions.

The people on this forum told me 2 to 3 thousand miles to get use to it. Trust me they were right.

Tony

I realized just how beautiful my 1150 rt is.

OK, thanks for saying that. I thought it was just me going a little nuts this winter, because when I pull into the garage and glance at my 2003RT-P, I think what a beautiful thing it is. My wife is probably getting a little sick of me saying, "now THAT'S a nice looking bike"... eek.gif

ooo.gif This was exactly what I wanted to say (when I say exatly I mean EXACTLY !!)

Ps. and yes my wife is sick of me too grin.gif she is now guesting (whispering) what I will say before the garage door opens...... dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

While the lighter weight and improved performance of the new R1200RT appeals to me, after 36,000 miles, I still feel the same way about my '02 as the day I rode it home. IMHO, there is no better looking bike on the road. That's especially true if your '02 is dark blue, like mine.

I agree that this is one of the best looking bikes in my opinion. As soon as I saw the '03 that I currently ride, I fell in love with it, test rode it, and bought it in that order. I also have a BMW M3 which was love at first sight.

For the most part, I am not a fan of the current designs of the new cars and bikes. I do agree the new body styles are looking more like the so called "competition" and this is dissapointing.

Archived