IGNORED

New R and RS

TEWKS

The RS looks delicious to me. Road tests will soon reveal if the conventional forks are a compromise or an addition. Hopefully it is the latter. A torquey w/c boxer with better (more) airflow and good ergos set up as a classic sports tourer? My RT is feeling the heat...

Pretty much all the information now available about the RS is available through the BMW Press Kit.

The highlights:

• Classic flat-twin boxer engine with 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm and 125 Nm (92 lb-ft) at 6,500

rpm.

• Sporty and dynamic sports tourer design.

• Aerodynamically styled semi-fairing with adjustable windshield.

• Torsionally rigid tubular steel bridge frame with engine as self-supporting element.

• Classic wheel suspension concept using upside-down telescopic fork at the front and EVO

Paralever at the rear.

• New intake air duct and central radiator for ultra-compact front silhouette.

• Upright, sporty yet relaxed seating position for a dynamic riding sensation combined with

excellent seating comfort for longer tours.

• Exhaust system in pentagonal design.

• Automatic Stability Control (ASC).

• “Rain” and “Road” riding modes.

• Riding mode Pro offering two additional riding modes, “Dynamic” and “User”, for optimum

adaptation to prevailing riding conditions as an ex- works option.

• Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) as part of the Riding mode Pro option.

• Latest-generation Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) as an option for optimum

riding dynamics in any situation.

• Powerful braking system with radial four-piston callipers and ABS.

• Lightweight 10-spoke cast wheels.

• Gear Shift Assistant Pro for fast, clutchless shifting as an ex-works option.

• Sophisticated instrument cluster offering a wide array of functions and wealth of

information.

• Keyless Ride for supreme ease of use as an ex-works option.

• Innovative colour scheme with two individual characters, classically sporty in the basic

colours and sporty and exclusive in the “Style 2” variant.

• Extensive range of optional extras and special accessories available ex- works.

Most of the major equipment available on the RT--except, it would appear, the multi-controller setup and electric windscreen--can be had on the RS.

It might prove a worthy successort to my R1200ST, but as the years advance I'm more and more mindful of ergos. Whatever my personal preferences, it's great to see BMW back in this segment. The RS looks to be a real winner.

Dennis Andress

This is something I've wanted for a long time.

But no telelever? :(

Given a choice between ESA and forks, guess what I choose. Ohlins as an optional rear shock would be really cool.

RS = Me want! drif.gif

+1...... and then some

I have grown used to not having the telelever front end on my R9T. At first it was a bit jarring, that dive is something you become accustomed to and associate subconsciously with the amount of braking you are performing.

Still I am very surprised it is gone from these models. Perhaps BMW will restrict it to only touring models?

This is something I've wanted for a long time.

Given a choice between ESA and forks, guess what I choose. Ohlins as an optional rear shock would be really cool.

Yup.

Front end feel on the telelever bikes was always lacking and I always had a suspicion that BMW could have dealt with most of the problems associated with dive on a bike with horrible suspension components by simply fitting non-horrible suspension components.

The new RS with Ohlins and without all of that unnecessary electronic gimmickry like ASC, riding modes, DTC, Gear Shift Assisant (Really...on a street bike?? Are BMW riders aspiring squids now?), and keyless ignition would be really sweet.

• Upright, sporty yet relaxed seating position for a dynamic riding sensation combined with

Thinking that would be a first...

That RS really appeals to me, as it seems the RT fairing has become more expansive with each successive model. Part of my reason to ride is to have some exposure to the elements. Plus, I've been intrigued with the idea of a slightly more "sporty" posture.

It has my attention.

• Classic flat-twin boxer engine with 92 kW (125 hp) at 7,750 rpm and 125 Nm (92 lb-ft) at 6,500

rpm.

• Sporty and dynamic sports tourer design.

• Aerodynamically styled semi-fairing with adjustable windshield.

• Torsionally rigid tubular steel bridge frame with engine as self-supporting element.

• Classic wheel suspension concept using upside-down telescopic fork at the front and EVO

Paralever at the rear.

• New intake air duct and central radiator for ultra-compact front silhouette.

• Exhaust system in pentagonal design.

• Automatic Stability Control (ASC).

• “Rain” and “Road” riding modes.

• Riding mode Pro offering two additional riding modes, “Dynamic” and “User”, for optimum

adaptation to prevailing riding conditions as an ex- works option.

• Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) as part of the Riding mode Pro option.

• Latest-generation Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) as an option for optimum

riding dynamics in any situation.

• Powerful braking system with radial four-piston callipers and ABS.

• Lightweight 10-spoke cast wheels.

• Gear Shift Assistant Pro for fast, clutchless shifting as an ex-works option.

• Sophisticated instrument cluster offering a wide array of functions and wealth of

information.

• Keyless Ride for supreme ease of use as an ex-works option.

• Innovative colour scheme with two individual characters, classically sporty in the basic

colours and sporty and exclusive in the “Style 2” variant.

• Extensive range of optional extras and special accessories available ex- works.

Give it a more complete fairing and that's what the RT should have been, without all the electrickery, at 500lbs. and at $18K.

That RS really appeals to me, as it seems the RT fairing has become more expansive with each successive model. Part of my reason to ride is to have some exposure to the elements. Plus, I've been intrigued with the idea of a slightly more "sporty" posture.

It has my attention.

FWIW, the stock seat on the R1100/1150RS was fine. Likewise the stock seat on the R1200ST (the RS's replacement)

The RT tends to encourage a "sit up and beg" riding position which puts all of your weight on your ass...which makes a really cushy seat important. If you rotate forward into the Master Yoda Riding Position, that problem (along with other typical RT issues like soreness between the shoulder blades) goes away. The RS encourages that riding posture, so it doesn't have the seat problem or the other issues that you see when you try to sit upright for hours on end.

Really, I do understand that BMW needs to attract younger riders, and younger riders have their own ideas of what looks "right." However, I don't belong to their club, and I much prefer the way BMWs looked in the '70s. And Norton Commando Roadsters (as opposed to Interstates) were possibly the most beautiful bikes of the past 50 years.

My GS is weird enough. The new BMWs? No, thank you.

Bob

The RT tends to encourage a "sit up and beg" riding position which puts all of your weight on your ass...which makes a really cushy seat important. If you rotate forward into the Master Yoda Riding Position, that problem (along with other typical RT issues like soreness between the shoulder blades) goes away. The RS encourages that riding posture, so it doesn't have the seat problem or the other issues that you see when you try to sit upright for hours on end.

That would explain why I find myself wishing for some bar "forwards" instead of the ubiquitous bar-backs. I will catch myself bending deeper at the elbows on a longer ride to get some of that weight off my boney backside (also trying to get my feet under my butt).

Remember when you could actually swap out bars to modify the ergos? Heck, even my very first street bike (1982) came with adjustable bars and pegs. I guess the majority of the riding public doesn't spend long stretches in the saddle to justify ergos.

It has my attention.

FWIW, the stock seat on the R1100/1150RS was fine. Likewise the stock seat on the R1200ST (the RS's replacement)

Well, speaking from personal experience, the stock seat of the ST was not fun, amounting to gonadal-buttocksal torture for yours truly. I switched to a Rick Meyer seat and Verholen bar riser brackets and have ended up with a motorcycle that's reasonably comfortable for anything short of transcontinental rides.

However, I'm a bit of an outlier by some folks' standards--6'1", a bit more than 15 stones, and arm length and inseam that are a bit rangy for someone of my height.

It's possible that I may look to replace the ST one of these days. The RS looks to be pretty attractive, but there are times when I miss the comfort of the RT.

RS = Me want! drif.gif

+1...... and then some

I have grown used to not having the telelever front end on my R9T. At first it was a bit jarring, that dive is something you become accustomed to and associate subconsciously with the amount of braking you are performing.

Still I am very surprised it is gone from these models. Perhaps BMW will restrict it to only touring models?

Put me in the camp of Pro-Telelever. Every time I rode my old Airhead and then back on my 1150RT, I'm reminded how advanced Telelever is. Lack of dive, amazing control when leaned way over in a turn, rolling on the throttle on horrible pavement.

On my morning commute, there' a freeway entrance that's a long uphill cloverleaf. All the way through the turn, the pavement is uneven and rough. The RT soaks it up with ease, giving the proverbial, "feels like I'm on rails", while my old Airhead shifts, slides and protests loudly, giving a very unconfident feeling.

I hate to see BMW going back to forks when further development of the Telelver system seems the path to success.

My $.02 FWIW.

RPG

Put me in the camp of Pro-Telelever. Every time I rode my old Airhead and then back on my 1150RT, I'm reminded how advanced Telelever is. Lack of dive, amazing control when leaned way over in a turn, rolling on the throttle on horrible pavement.

Try comparing telelever to a modern bike rather than an antique.

On my morning commute, there' a freeway entrance that's a long uphill cloverleaf. All the way through the turn, the pavement is uneven and rough. The RT soaks it up with ease, giving the proverbial, "feels like I'm on rails", while my old Airhead shifts, slides and protests loudly, giving a very unconfident feeling.

Keep in mind there's more to that sort of thing than just the geometry of the front end. You probably have much better tires on the RT. And it's probably got a better chassis. And much stiffer forks (the telelever helps with this, but you don't have to have telelever to have a stiff front end.)

When my only comparison was older bikes with really bad suspension like my Suzuki Bandit and Lisa's K75, I thought the telelever on my R1100RT was the business.

After spending some time on the track on my CBR600RR and then going to the Tuono on the street, I found the lack of front-end feedback on the telelever bikes to be disconcerting. With a good "conventional" front-end I didn't feel like I was giving anything up in terms of capability/traction on the brakes/etc and I was gaining front-end feel that I really liked.

I thought I'd miss telelever, but I found myself glad to be rid of it.

Naturally YMMV.

Dennis Andress

Front end feel on the telelever bikes was always lacking and I always had a suspicion that BMW could have dealt with most of the problems associated with dive on a bike with horrible suspension components by simply fitting non-horrible suspension components.

Telelever on the K1200 RS was okay, from what I remember. But, I will have a hard time giving up the K1300 S front-end. That thing has me spoiled with how it never dives no matter how late and hard I brake into a turn.

Telelever on the K1200 RS was okay, from what I remember. But, I will have a hard time giving up the K1300 S front-end. That thing has me spoiled with how it never dives no matter how late and hard I brake into a turn.

There's no question that telelever reduces front-end dive under braking. The question is...is dive really a problem assuming you have appropriate springs/shocks? And is that worth the trade-off of having better feel?

Dennis Andress

There's no question that telelever reduces front-end dive under braking. The question is...is dive really a problem assuming you have appropriate springs/shocks? And is that worth the trade-off of having better feel?

Keep in mind that unlike Telelever, the Doulever fork moves vertically. The K1200 models had no dive whatsoever. K1300s got a bit of dive designed in so the user could have some feedback. But even then, braking has almost no impact on the front suspension.

Is it worth it? Yeah. The Doulever front-end does feel different. I've never noticed a trade-off, just something new to learn.

Among the millions of internet rumors there is one that says the K1300 will get a major update in 2016. That is going to make it hard to choose...

Keep in mind that unlike Telelever, the Doulever fork moves vertically. The K1200 models had no dive whatsoever. K1300s got a bit of dive designed in so the user could have some feedback. But even then, braking has almost no impact on the front suspension.

Is it worth it? Yeah. The Doulever front-end does feel different. I've never noticed a trade-off, just something new to learn.

That's right...I forgot about duolever. Nice.

Dennis Andress
K1300s got a bit of dive designed in so the user could have some feedback.

I probably shouldn't post about motorcycles while writing design docs for roles and permissions....

Been watching Tron?

I loved the RS, RSL in particular.

It was smallish for me but fit, almopst like someone designed the smallest bike I could MYRP and still go 2up w/bags and have reasonable wind/weather protection.

The ST just didn't work for me even though I wanted it to.

Maybe this RS?

K1300s got a bit of dive designed in so the user could have some feedback.

I probably shouldn't post about motorcycles while writing design docs for roles and permissions....

:grin:

I love telelever on the faired RT but it looks goofy on a naked bike. Better they went with forks. Gold is very cool.

Amazing they kept the radiator unobtrusive on the R, although I dunno how many white/red ones they'll sell.

Maybe the RS is aimed at younger riders but can BMW not offer one in a solid color without the contrasting insect face paint? Even if it's all Acid Green? It has such nice lines but the paint schemes don't do it justice IMO. But I rarely understand BMW paint choices anyway.

Here it is all decked out. Add all the stuff and the price is sure to be very RT like - which is exactly why the RS was always the rare one. I still like it.

2014-09-30%2020.02.23-M.png

It took me years, but now I am somewhat firmly entrenched into the telelever camp. Duolever fan as well. It would seem that duolever would have been the happy medium between going back to feedback of telescopic forks and total firm planted feeling (and weight "penalty") of telelever.

I agree that if the fork and suspension components of the new R and RS are top-notch then no worries. I appreciate the benefits of telelever in that it offers the goods and is quite forgiving. When one adds top-shelf shocks to the system it just gets even better. However, stock the telelever is much better than your average stock component conventional telescopic fork and shock set up. Of course, individual results vary.

I'll be interested to check these bikes out once they show up in the showrooms and are available to demo. Looking forward to it.

RS = Me want! drif.gif

+1...... and then some

I hate to see BMW going back to forks when further development of the Telelver system seems the path to success.

My $.02 FWIW.

RPG

My God, this has turned into the BMW version of the water cooled Harley thread. :P

Dennis Andress
It took me years, but now I am somewhat firmly entrenched into the telelever camp. Duolever fan as well. It would seem that duolever would have been the happy medium between going back to feedback of telescopic forks and total firm planted feeling (and weight "penalty") of telelever.

I think the big secret of Doulever is that its vertical movement allows the cylinders to be angled at 55 degrees and the radiator to be mounted under the cylinders. Telelever or telescopic forks would have forced the cylinders more upright and the radiator and engine aft.

russell_bynum
Here it is all decked out. Add all the stuff and the price is sure to be very RT like - which is exactly why the RS was always the rare one. I still like it.

2014-09-30%2020.02.23-M.png

Yup.

Guest Kakugo

The R is an eyesore, plain and simple. No wonder they have a picture with a garbage can in the back... ;)

The RS means one thing and one thing only: Honda will now have an even larger number of VFR's gathering dust in the showrooms! :grin:

During the oilhead years, @2 to 1 RT vs RS sales in USA.

Part of the problem was having the RT at one end and then the R,

RS, S, Rockster models with a good bit of overlap in buyers perception.

Eventually BMW pushed the envelope (for them and the times) w/the S, dropped Rockster and then the RS, improved the R, then gave us the ST.

Too much for typical aging BMW rider, not enough for conquest buyers.

Hope this works, not having an RS model leftg a big hole in the marque, IMO.

Could tempt me, but probably has those other turn signals,,,

;)

Danny,

HD had water cooled for years w/out discussion, although it wasn't typical to see them riding in the rain.

:grin:

fourteenfour
I love telelever, but agree with Dennis, the duolever rocks.

Here is a link if you want to mod yours and go with the original design BMW borrowed Hossack

Having had multiple telelever and duolever bikes, I would have to agree the duo is far superior. I used to think the telelever was the best thing to happen to BMW bikes since ABS, but the duolever I had on my K1200RS and K1300GT just made it look antiquated. It was like I got my front wheel back instead of having a tiller.

Now I have neither, and I really don't miss them. It is so much fun to know what that front end really is up to and the R9 is delivering that.

Try comparing telelever to a modern bike rather than an antique.

Keep in mind there's more to that sort of thing than just the geometry of the front end. You probably have much better tires on the RT. And it's probably got a better chassis. And much stiffer forks (the telelever helps with this, but you don't have to have telelever to have a stiff front end.)

When my only comparison was older bikes with really bad suspension like my Suzuki Bandit and Lisa's K75, I thought the telelever on my R1100RT was the business.

After spending some time on the track on my CBR600RR and then going to the Tuono on the street, I found the lack of front-end feedback on the telelever bikes to be disconcerting. With a good "conventional" front-end I didn't feel like I was giving anything up in terms of capability/traction on the brakes/etc and I was gaining front-end feel that I really liked.

I thought I'd miss telelever, but I found myself glad to be rid of it.

Naturally YMMV.

good points Russell. A 40 year old R90s suspension obviously pales in comparison to any modern conventional suspension system. Yet some comparisons can still be made between the two technologies. I've ridden a few modern bikes, (Ducati's mostly) and I still enjoy the advantages of the Telelever system, separating suspension and braking forces. I think it's a major selling point for BMW and something they need to fully exploit to foster a perceived difference in the market. It's sort of along the lines, "hey, they do things different", as BMW always has.

RPG

It's possible that I may look to replace the ST one of these days.

In a way I've done that with my ST with the handlebar conversion successfully installed. Makes the new RS without telelever a harder sell for me. I'm a telelever fan since every bike I've owned has been front forks except my ST. My ST has the best suspension compliance of the bikes I've ridden while still handling very well in the curves. BTW my ST with the handlebars and PR-4's handles better than ever. My stock ST seat was NOT comfortable no two ways about it. The stock bars didn't help with a reach that had me constantly near the front of the torture devise.

ST with handlebar

Don't get me wrong I'm ecstatic that BMW is still participating in the Sport Touring market. Trouble for me I like telelever!

That's a nice video. Makes me feel nice and relaxed.

My only 2 reservations about this bike is: 1) size of gas tank. I love good fuel range. So much so that I kinda lust after the GSA simply for that almost 8 gallon fuel tank--not that my bladder could last that long! And 2) lighting. My next bike has to have HID or XENON headlights, and LED's all around. I am done with conventional light bulbs; they always seem to blow at the most inconvenient of times.

Bet this thing is a hoot to ride, though.

The RS looks delicious to me. Road tests will soon reveal if the conventional forks are a compromise or an addition. Hopefully it is the latter. A torquey w/c boxer with better (more) airflow and good ergos set up as a classic sports tourer? My RT is feeling the heat...
Yea the new RS is light years better looking than the last time they tried that cyclops version ST. I was really digging it until seeing the lack of telelever or duolever front suspension. Kinda surprized they went with regular forks. I wonder how the electronic suspension works with the forks. I agree there's no feedback in the RT telelever, but with the K bike duolever you do get some feedback and I prefer it to the telelever.
Pretty sure that was filmed in north Florida.

I've not seen that sort of rock formations in FL. Or that type of signage.

Spain, I think.

Pretty sure that was filmed in north Florida.

I've not seen that sort of rock formations in FL. Or that type of signage.

Spain, I think.

Methinks Tallman might have been being sarcastic. :rofl: Just a guess though, Tim is a hard one to read. :grin:

Archived