IGNORED

Upshift Indicator

narcosis

I searched the manual and online to see what I could find out about the upshift indicator that appears at ~3000 rpm next to the gear indicator on the Multifunction Display. Nothing. I'm guessing that it means it's okay at that point to upshift but seems awful low (usually I'm in the 3.5-4K range when I shift).

Anyone know the true meaning of this indicator?

On the 2015, I would hazard a guess that it is offering maximum fuel efficiency. It really wants to upshift at very low RPM to the tune of going into 6th gear by 40 MPH! Thie bike is way down the torque curve and basically is driving like a scooter. Yesterday, in mixed driving at 60 MPH and below and using the upshift indicator mostly, I got 55 MPG two up. That was calculated at fill up.

It was not my preferred style of riding but gave my passenger a nice smooth ride,

I turned mine off as the arrow was somewhat distracting. I am at around 750 miles now and I frequently notice I am running under 3000 rpm. Seems to have a lot of torque there and I cannot imagine there is any reason not to run it at lower throttle settings in that range.

I turned mine off as the arrow was somewhat distracting.

I looked through all the menus yesterday to try and turn it off but couldn't find it. Based on your reply I looked again and found it. Thanks!

I cannot imagine there is any reason not to run it at lower throttle settings in that range.

As long as you mix in some high rpm running (aka "Italian tune up"). All low speed running can lead to significant carbon build-up in the head, which can cause other problems (pre-ignition, carbon chunks damaging valves, etc.).

Putting a significant load on the engine (large throttle openings) a very low rpm is rather brutal on the big end and main bearings, too.

I'm not saying don't run below 3k, just don't live down there all the time.

I turned mine off as the arrow was somewhat distracting. I am at around 750 miles now and I frequently notice I am running under 3000 rpm. Seems to have a lot of torque there and I cannot imagine there is any reason not to run it at lower throttle settings in that range.

Terry, the R1200RT has a sweet and enviable torgue curve but its HP is WAY down in that range. Scooter like, in fact. The bike really starts coming alive in the 5000-8000 RPM range, (Technically between 6340 and 8040 RPM), and feels like the awesome Sport Tourer it is, especially in the twisties.

BMW-R1200RT-Dyno-Chart.jpg

The upshift indicator is a good feature to have as the bike is first delivered as it reminds you to upshift during the initial wear-in period. The other useful part of it is that by looking through the manual and learning how to it off you become familiar with how menu system works.

That is about all it is good for. This boxer motor is built to cruise all day at 4000-4500 rpms and needs stints at 5,000 plus to keep everything clean inside. Back in the day these were called "Italian Tune-ups".

I cannot imagine there is any reason not to run it at lower throttle settings in that range.

As long as you mix in some high rpm running (aka "Italian tune up"). All low speed running can lead to significant carbon build-up in the head, which can cause other problems (pre-ignition, carbon chunks damaging valves, etc.).

Putting a significant load on the engine (large throttle openings) a very low rpm is rather brutal on the big end and main bearings, too.

I'm not saying don't run below 3k, just don't live down there all the time.

Ha! No worries. I'll probably tap the rev limiter more than the average rider once broken in to suit me. There will be more miles on the rear tire than the front as well....Don't mistake my liking an engine to perform well at 3000 when cruising around town between stop signs for prudish riding. I don't think it is lugging an engine ( whatever that means...) in that range. After all, it has a 4" bore and around a 3" stroke, which is almost identical to a 5.0 Liter Ford v8 that runs 1500 rpm in top gear at cruise speeds. So, 3000 isn't all that low in perspective. While it does not have the horsepower at 3000 rpm it has further up, that is what the gear shift lever is for!

Archived