IGNORED

1200GS battery charging

cenglebardt

I recently bought a new 1200GS and was told that I could not use my Battery Tender to charge the battery using the 12v socket. Dealer suggested changing the hookup so the 12v socket is wired directly to the battery.. In the owners manual it says in bold letters that if you charge the battery directly, the battery must be disconnected from the electrical system. My dealer says it is OK to charge the battery directly with my charger while the battery it is still connected to the electrical system. I am reluctant to go against what it says in the owners manual. What's the story here? Appreciate advice--Carl

Carl,

I've had a 1200GS since they were first released in the US. I haven't been able to find anything authoritative either way, and am reluctant to risk the expensive electronic bits. So, I pop the seat and unscrew the cables from the battery and then charge it right in place. It only takes a minute to put the cables back on and set the clock and do the slow handgrip twist to reset the FI, so it isn't much of a bother. Besides, the only time the bike may need a bit of juice is during the winter, when you can't ride it often.

Bob

I checked into this quite a bit before buying a Battery Tender Plus to charge the battery in my 12GS. You'll have to follow your own conscience. Here's what I do: I installed BT's pigtail connection directly to the battery (& zip tied the end to the frame, below the edge of the seat), and I regularly charge my battery in place, via that connection, with all battery cables (and accessory wiring) connected. No accessory socket involved, no problems to date, and I don't expect any. My take on the manual's language is that it is warranty CYA. YMMV.

Been charging our 12GS with a standard Battery Tender wired directly to the battery (well actually though my fuse block, but it is a direct connection) and never disconnect anything. No issues. YMMV.

Archived