IGNORED

Bike is broken down after having it eight days.

Freedom Outlaw

Freedom Outlaw

I've had my 14RT back exactly 8 days after picking it up from the dealer for the shock issue.

I rode the bike to my office today with no problems, thinking to myself this bike is a joy to ride.

I left my office to run a few errands. I turned it off at the pharmacy and when I stated to leave it died. I got it restarted and it started surging and finally just quit.

The fuel gauge was down 3 bars so I thought I had plenty of gas. I opened the tank and could see the bottom so I thought I have bad fuel gauge. I had my wife bring me two gallons which then showed the bike topped off.

I was Sure I just had a faulty fuel gauge. I had not been setting the trip meter, just relying on the gauge which had been working fine.

After adding the gas, the bike still would do nothing but start then stall. I called the dealer and they now have the bike.

I am hoping it is a relatively simple fix like a fuel filter or at worst perhaps a fuel pump.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks,

FO

I have not heard of anybody else having any issues like that here or on any other forums, including some of the German ones.

When they replaced the shock, I wonder if they didn't plug in one of the connectors they had undone properly.

One thing for sure, they are hardly going to tell you if they screwed up during the shock replacement.

Bad luck, but your bike is under warranty, so at least it won't cost you a dime despite the inconvenience even if it's something expensive such as the fuel pump. Small consolation. :(

How many tanks of fuel have you run since picking up your shock repaired bike? Gas especially with ethanol can go bad quicker than you might suspect. If on the tank that sat for an extended amount of time waiting for the repair, bad gas can foul spark plugs. The plugs will look ok, but won't fire properly from an actual experience I've had. Best to change, not clean a fouled plug BTW. An injector cleaner additive my be in order as well.

The same thing happened to me on my 14 RT with about 600 miles on it. It quit on me 5 times in about a two hour period and acted like it was running out of gas. I would let it sit for 5 minutes or so and it would start and run just fine. I currently have over 9000 miles and have not had the problem since. My dealer also checked it out and couldn't find anything. I have 2 theories but they both could be wrong. First, I had washed the bike the previous day. I was new to the type of gas cap used and may have not closed it all the way allowing water to enter the gas tank. Second, I may have overfilled the tank, allowing the charcoal canister to fill with gas. I was later told to open the cap and see if there was a vacuum problem but didn't know about that while it was acting up. Just my ideas. The bike is awesome!

Not sure in this case, but I've seen a Ford work van give a dealer fits with a charcoal canister filled with gas from overfills. Gas man, not me at work did the overfilling. Doesn't show up on electronic diagnosis.

Freedom Outlaw

The bike Is Awesome, no doubt. I've put around 500 miles on it since I picked it up so say two tanks of gas roughly.

I've run nothing but non-ethanol in this bike from day one. In fact I keep 500 gallons of non-ethanol at my house (commercial grade tank)at all times. I know my fuel is fresh.

The idea of the vapor lock went through my mind but I think they largely disappeared with carbs, dunno but I left the gas cap open for 5 minutes or so just in case.

The owner of the dealer was able to replicate the problem about 10:00 that night. The next morning, the mechanic was not. "I" am paying for them to expedite a fuel pump from Germany to the states as there is not one here. I could pay and have it here in roughly a week ($52.00) or wait a month, no brainer.

I don't give a rats behind if the pump and work is free, I have two other bikes, in fact I went out and bought an 07 RT to use while this one was down then sold it back to the dealer, he gave me every dime back..stand up guy for sure.

I've lost faith in the bike, perhaps it is premature, perhaps not. If for some reason I do move on, you can go on knowing it will be Japanese. They aren't perfect but I kept an ST1300 in CO (I live in FL) for three years and it gave me -0- problems and it sat up for months at a time.

My G650GS has never left me stranded but it has been in the shop FIVE times for switches, fuel pump, hub recall, etc.. My Harley Dyna which everyone likes to take a swipe at (Ohlin shocks and Racetek springs among other upgrades)has Never given me a seconds problem. Ever.

Having said all that, BMW locally and NA have been very fair to me (they went Well beyond the $2,500.00 due to me being 2,650 miles away from home on holiday when I got the DNR) and I love the bike. There is No other bike out there like it but I have a very simple policy. If ANYTHING I own becomes untrustworthy to me, it is g o n e. I don't have the time nor the mindset to deal with constant breakdowns or worry about them.

Rant over!

The bike Is Awesome, no doubt. I've put around 500 miles on it since I picked it up so say two tanks of gas roughly.

I've run nothing but non-ethanol in this bike from day one. In fact I keep 500 gallons of non-ethanol at my house (commercial grade tank)at all times. I know my fuel is fresh.

The idea of the vapor lock went through my mind but I think they largely disappeared with carbs, dunno but I left the gas cap open for 5 minutes or so just in case.

The owner of the dealer was able to replicate the problem about 10:00 that night. The next morning, the mechanic was not. "I" am paying for them to expedite a fuel pump from Germany to the states as there is not one here. I could pay and have it here in roughly a week ($52.00) or wait a month, no brainer.

I don't give a rats behind if the pump and work is free, I have two other bikes, in fact I went out and bought an 07 RT to use while this one was down then sold it back to the dealer, he gave me every dime back..stand up guy for sure.

I've lost faith in the bike, perhaps it is premature, perhaps not. If for some reason I do move on, you can go on knowing it will be Japanese. They aren't perfect but I kept an ST1300 in CO (I live in FL) for three years and it gave me -0- problems and it sat up for months at a time.

My G650GS has never left me stranded but it has been in the shop FIVE times for switches, fuel pump, hub recall, etc.. My Harley Dyna which everyone likes to take a swipe at (Ohlin shocks and Racetek springs among other upgrades)has Never given me a seconds problem. Ever.

Having said all that, BMW locally and NA have been very fair to me (they went Well beyond the $2,500.00 due to me being 2,650 miles away from home on holiday when I got the DNR) and I love the bike. There is No other bike out there like it but I have a very simple policy. If ANYTHING I own becomes untrustworthy to me, it is g o n e. I don't have the time nor the mindset to deal with constant breakdowns or worry about them.

Rant over!

Bye

Freedom Outlaw

Rant over!

Bye

I've lost faith in the bike, perhaps it is premature, perhaps not. If for some reason I do move on,you can go on knowing it will be Japanese.

Reading into this something I did not write?

I should know what is up in a week or so. I spoke with the owner this afternoon and we hope to know something in about a week.

Rant over!

Bye

I've lost faith in the bike, perhaps it is premature, perhaps not. If for some reason I do move on,you can go on knowing it will be Japanese.

I should know what is up in a week or so. I spoke with the owner this afternoon and we hope to know something in about a week.

No. You said you were unhappy with the reliability and you were potentially moving on. All I said was Bye.

Only you can decide if you want to stay with the marque. I think very few things are reliable today. Some more than others, but there is no manufacturer that has total reliability with every product, all the time. Go to any forum and you will find issues with virtually every product.

No. You said you were unhappy with the reliability and you were potentially moving on. All I said was Bye.

Only you can decide if you want to stay with the marque. I think very few things are reliable today. Some more than others, but there is no manufacturer that has total reliability with every product, all the time. Go to any forum and you will find issues with virtually every product.

I read it the same way as you.

So let's see:

1) the bike had to be parked for a longer period of time in a short period of ownership. Then it plays up after just getting it back. Frustration is understandable.

Let us look from a different view:

1) out of 8000 bikes, two had an issue. Yours wasn't one of them but was parked as a precautionary reason as the manufacturer replaced all the shocks on all the bikes just to be safe.

So yours wasn't actually broken.

2) Your bikes starts to have running issues, a real problem and the actual "first" issue you are having.

Annoying yes and you are unlucky as I have not seen this on any other forum, so yours is the 1st.

I would pay the $52,- and then raise hell to get reimbursed with at least a verbal apology as it's an affront to somebody that had just had his bike parked for such a long period just for it to break down shortly after and is then asked to pay extra to get it back on the road again a bit quicker.

The apology should come from BMW (not the dealer).

The reality is that you had now a single breakdown and to call the bike "untrustworthy" is a bloody long stretch.

Freedom Outlaw

Rant over!

Bye

Sorry for being so snippy with my post. What you wrote was well said and I agree. I shouldn't have even responded. My particular saga with this bike is more detailed on ADV. This is my second post on there with a link to the entire thread.

My apologies.

From ADV (hope it is not against mod. rules to post this)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerJ View Post

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ampaign=widget

Poor owners of this premium bike! Imagine you were all set to start your motorcycling vacation tomorrow....

Ha! I AM on vacation. I live in Florida and it is mine and my wife's 30th anniversary. I had a Mercedes Sprinter upfitted to our specs, had a trailer made to haul the bike and wife's scooter.

I am self employed and have virtually unlimited free time. We "had" planned on a 30 days +/- touring the US/Canada. As I type this I am 200 miles south of Canada and sitting on the fence as to whether I even want to continue the trip.

I drove the Canadian Ice Field Parkway several years ago and wanted to come back and do it on a bike. To say I am disappointed would be the understatement of the year.

We've raised and weaned (knocking on wood) three kids. All are out of college and on their own. This was to be a big event for us and we have had a blast so far.

I have (had) been riding the bike like a stole it and rode two up the day before yesterday. BMW has been in contact with me and they say they want to do the right thing. However, considering the totality of the situation, really, I don't know what they can do, heck they don't have a fix for it yet and I am not sure if I want to drag this bike around for another two weeks +/- without being able to ride it.

I'll sleep on it tonight and decide whether to head back to FL or go on to Banff dragging the new RT. I kinda miss my 06 even though you can look back in this thread (I think it is this thread) and see where I said it was a quantum leap over the old model. At this point, I'd give the buyer his money back for my 06 and keep the 14 too. At least I could do most of the work on the 06 myself, tip of the hat to you Jim for the CD.

RHM

The entire thread on ADV is at:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876200&page=40

My initials are RHM, which is my screen name over there.

Tracerbullet, my apologies again for being short with you.

Freedom Outlaw,

I certainly feel your frustration, especially having a trip like yours interrupted. No apology needed.

All things in perspective, most of us would give our right arm to have unlimited time off. I think I would be more upset if I had planned this with only a limited amount of time off per year and something happened to ruin it. However it could of happened to anyone and any marque. My 04 was one of the model years with the dreaded final drive failures. Knock on wood I never had a problem but I know I was uneasy at times when planning a trip.

Hopefully things work out okay and you can resume your travels

Get the fuel pump replaced on the expedited plan and ride the crap out of the bike. The worse that can happen is that it sits in the trailer and you ride the wife's scooter. :grin: Seriously, life is an adventure.

Seriously, life is an adventure.

How true :) I often wonder about reliability of complex bits of machinery, but what the heck I bought the bike to enjoy, if it fails or gets recalled I'll just deal with it.

Doesn't mean I like it but that's life and has always been my motto.

I bought a brand new R1150RS in 2002 and was one of the unlucky ones who had brake failure (within a few hundred kms from new)due to a faulty ABS regulator. It nearly caused an accident coz of the whizzy brakes failing at a roundabout.

I got it repaired and had many happy years riding it.

I hope to get many happy years out of my new RT-LC as well.

Yes you had a hard time with your RT being recalled and then failing as well, that's tough but it will get fixed and you will move on and the grins will return.

Happy Riding,

Teddy

Kinda sounds like frustration with tripus interuptus more than lost faith in the bike.

Understandable.

However, there are certainly worse things that interupt or cancel trips.

Hang in there, hope y'all are on the road soon.

Good advice to get it on the road and ride.

Who knows?

That may actually put a smile on your face(s).

Best wishes.

Let me tell you this experience.

In 2001 I bought a Honda Fireblade (CBR929RR to you Colonials). Probably the best bike I've ever had.

After 10000km or so, while on an Alpine pass, the clutch actuator snapped like a twig. Couldn't ride the bike so had it towed to the Honda dealer. Took a few days. I won't relate how I got home. :rofl:

Bike was delivered to the dealer on Monday morning and handed back to me on Tuesday evening. I immediately started riding the Hell out of it, and did so for other 44000 trouble free km.

In the meantime Honda is still wondering how a 2000 model clutch actuator (subjected to a recall) ended up on a 2001 bike. :grin:

Really sorry to hear about your bike failure. I'd be really pissed. But it's not only the Germans who make unreliable vehicles (try any VW 80s/90s/00s).

Back in the day, my petite girlfriend hopped on the back my old '76 Honda 550 for a ride through the Blue Ridge. We were tooling up the mountains in 3rd gear when suddenly -- CLACK! No go. It was out of warranty so I towed it back home (70 miles) to an indy Honda mechanic who opened up the transmission and found that the shifter fork had disintegrated, sending shards all through the tranny. The mechanic's eye-rolling comments were the first time I'd heard the term "Japanese pot metal."

Freedom Outlaw

Alfred02 wrote:

"I would pay the $52,- and then raise hell to get reimbursed with at least a verbal apology as it's an affront to somebody that had just had his bike parked for such a long period just for it to break down shortly after and is then asked to pay extra to get it back on the road again a bit quicker.

The apology should come from BMW (not the dealer)."

I agree in principal but I am going to keep my mouth shut. I've been paid Well over the $2,500.00 since they reimbursed my trip expenses.

The local dealer sold me an 07 for $7,850.0. I rode it for two months and he gave me $7,850.00. This was done as a favor as I did not want a loaner from corporate, I wanted the cash and I never liked the K1600 anyway, I am kind of a wiry fellow and it was just too big for me.

Now just get me back on the Freakin Road! I am supposed to be in NC next week from 10/8-10/15 +/-. Sheesh this is getting frustrating.

Freedom Outlaw

Well, I got my bike back today and rode it straight home. I was very tired. I am going to take it on a long ride tomorrow with several start/stops to see if there may be anymore problems. What I did find somewhat odd as when I was gearing up to leave, the head mechanic told me they had done me a huge favor by replacing the fuel pump since he said He could not replicate it.

I told him the guy from the dealer who loaded (with my help of course) onto the trailer saw the bike would not run and the Owner of the dealership was able to replicate that problem at 10:00 pm the same night I brought it in.

He said it was a favor to me to have the pump shipped over from Germany (to which I reminded him I paid for the expedited shipping) and since he personally and his side kick were unable to replicate the problem he was doing me a favor.

This kind of ruffled my feathers as Two other people from BMW (other than him the head mechanic, saw the problem manifest itself and as I said the Owner were able to replicate the problem himself).

I just finished putting my gear on and left. Hopefully all of this is behind me but I did find his remark rather odd to say the least.

I am glad to have the RT back in the garage and have big plans for the next two weeks all involving this bike.

Regards to all,

FO

Having an intermittent fault really sucks, and if you have a condescending mechanic that just makes it worse.

It has happened to me in the past, and I just reply but saying I have better things to do that bring the bike/car in. If I bring it in, it has a problem, if you cannot find it, that's not my problem, it's yours!

I pay for and expect premium quality and service from BMW, it's not like I built the bike myself and took it to a low end couldn't care less garage!

Im glad to hear you are starting to like and trust the bike. I am on my 4th RT and really can't imaging owning anything else. This 14 version is really the cats meow. The shock thing was unfortunate and your fuel pump (let's hope) should be beind you. You are mostly likely in for many trouble free miles. I won't hesitate to get on my and ride cross country as I have all the confidence in the world in it's reliability....as I did on all my previous RT's

The first K100s--BMW's first fuel injected bikes--suffered significantly from vapor lock.

It's a heat thing.

• 2 weeks later...

^^ And after the vapour locking was fixed, it was followed up by suddenly choking fuel filters, which were a real pain to fix at the side of the road - especially if you had just refuelled.

^^ And after the vapour locking was fixed, it was followed up by suddenly choking fuel filters, which were a real pain to fix at the side of the road - especially if you had just refuelled.

I wonder....

I had a 1984 K100RS and never had that problem.

My brother In Law had one of the very 1st and they used to put a lot of $hit on BMW. Being German and liking BMW, that didn't go down too well with me, as you can imagine.

His main complain was that his bike would stop in really hot weather and couldn't be re-started, requiring towing on multiple occasions and turning a bike trip with friends into a miserable weekend.

So I did some research and found info that BMW recommended certain connectors to be pulled apart and cleaned once a year (a bit over the top).

I asked to borrow his bike for a weekend to see if I couldn't resolve his problem, no promises.

Pulled the tank and cleaned those connectors ( I am a Comms Technician), using electrical/electronic contact cleaner.

Blow dried and then plugged/unplugged those connectors a few times.

Problem solved.

His bike never stopped again in all the years he rode it until he replace it with a newer bike.

He still owns the bike and his family members use it once in a while. I have not heard of that problem again, despite that it would be 20 years overdue to be done again. Maybe he has done it a few time in the meantime. I don't know.

The first time I experienced the well-known fuel filter choking (I always carried a spare, it was that well known) was on my honeymoon in 1990. The bike was a K100RT 1986, which had the vapour lock mod. Just outside Singleton on our way home, it stopped. Up to my elbow in fuel to change out the filter at the side of the road, but I never had the problem again on that bike.

Since then, I had a 1990 K100RS which gave me a similar problem, and a K100LT which did not.

I used to put dielectric grease on the tank connectors and never had problems in that respect. However, the filter problem was quite real, and easy to remedy.

Archived