IGNORED

Help - Need answer on one screw during Wunderlich Engine guard install

paRTy

Installing Wunderlich engine guards on my 14'RT. For those that have installed, ...on the rear left side rear, directions say to remove oem screw, line up bar, and secure back with oem screw.

My question is...the instructions do not show the oem washer being used, either inside the bar, or on outside.

I put it on the outside, against the head of the screw.

What did you do? Use on outside, inside, or not at all?

Thanks.

Thanks Hoghead.

That's certainly different than my bike. There was indeed a washer on mine. Just so we're clear, I'm talking about the "frame" screws (there are two of them next to each other) on the left rear side where the engine guard installs in the back.

Not sure how to upload a pic or I would take one of the area.

thanks. The one to remove is on the right side - then replace with Wunderlich screw.

Left side says to remove oem screw, then reinsert through engine guard. I reinserted and left the washer on, putting the wunderlich bar against the frame, then washer and screw.

The screw I removed on the right side also had a washer. Strangely enough, when I went to the fisch parts diagram on MaxBMW, it does not show a washer on the said screw in question. Can't imagine it will hurt anything either.

The OEM bolt you are talking about comes from the factory with a non-removable washer on it. There is no choice except to leave this washer on. I would install a second washer under the engine guard. Otherwise the corners of the engine guard dig into the bar they mount against and gouge off the paint. The bars do the same to the side of the engine where the lower front bolt goes. Add a washer under that bracket also to space the bracket out away from the engine a little bit. You may need to pick up a couple more galvanized or stainless washers at the hardware store. Of course, if you don't care about gouges into the frame and engine paint, then don't worry about the extra washers.

Mountainman-

You are absolutely right! Thanks. I checked the OEM bolt that came off the left side, (that needed to be replaced with a Wunderlich bolt) and it does indeed have a non-removeablr washer. I never checked that.

Thanks, You solved the mystery.

Archived