IGNORED

Adjustments to shift lever

uk1200RT

Hello all,

I need to know how to raise the shift lever on the R1200RT. I looked at it today and it looks like it is not readily adjustable in any way except to remove that plate in front of the mount and rotate it at the mount. I am hoping not, because I do not have the giant torx heads that are required to remove this yet.

Thanks BMW for the cheesiest tool kit I have ever had on a bike, including ones that I bought used.

I'm going through the same thing on my GS. I like the shift lever lower, so I bought a cheapy set of female torx bits, popped it off and dropped it one tooth. It is actually a bit lower than I want but haven't been able to figure out how to remove the linkage. Then you need to twist it to shorten or lengthen it to meet your needs.

Anyone have any advise?

Look up behind the alloy plate and you will see a turnbuckle thingy with ball-and-socket fittings on each end that attach the foot lever to the transmission. I just popped that off and fiddled with it until I got the length I wanted.

aggieengineer

There are two ways to adjust the lever. The simplest is to remove the trim behind it then slide it off the shaft and then back on at the desired position. Rotating the rod end bearing on the shift linkage by one turn results in about the same change as moving the lever by one tooth on its shaft.

Archived