IGNORED

Millennial Generation or Generation Y---- hah?

SuperG

Millennial Generation or Generation Y.

THese are the current crop of newbies to our gene pool.

It is said the are the "...birth years ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s."

So...I needed some brown shoe polish to freshen up or give a much need wax and shine to some boots and dress shoes. Headed to a local CVS. Young fellow behind the cash register looking at it for a few second "hmmmm...it does not look like chewing tobacco"

and actually started reading what is printed on the can.

Said "shoe polish.. hah, they still make this things?"

With a smile A said - YES, there are still place where you can not wear tennis shoes"

He gave me the stink-eye! :)

No problems like that here... I use surplus Swiss Army shoe polish. :rofl:

Joking aside there isn't that much of an age gap between the oldest Millenials and me (I'll be 38 next week), but there is an abyss on the cultural level.

One thing that strikes me a lot is their complete lack of manual abilities, meaning these young men and women aren't able to do some pretty basic things, like adding engine oil to their cars or cleaning a water tap filter.

Now, you aren't born with those abilities. Someone has to take five minutes to teach them to you.

It means their parents were either unable to do that themselves or couldn't be bothered to teach some pretty basic skills to their offspring. Scary either way. ;)

One thing that strikes me a lot is their complete lack of manual abilities, meaning these young men and women aren't able to do some pretty basic things, like adding engine oil to their cars or cleaning a water tap filter.

Now, you aren't born with those abilities. Someone has to take five minutes to teach them to you.

It means their parents were either unable to do that themselves or couldn't be bothered to teach some pretty basic skills to their offspring. Scary either way. ;)

Yup. Total parenting fail.

I've seen people make an appointment, take time off work, and spend half the day at the dealership....to get a tail light bulb replaced.

My oldest daughter is 24. When she was 17, she needed a part for her car. I told her to head down to the picknpull and find one. She does and when she returns, she tells me it was awesome to go through and shop for her part. She's gone back a few more times after that for various things.

When I told that story to one of my co-workers, he said, "Can you send her to teach my sons how to do that",...I simply replied, "It's the father's job to do that".

My oldest daughter is 24. When she was 17, she needed a part for her car. I told her to head down to the picknpull and find one. She does and when she returns, she tells me it was awesome to go through and shop for her part. She's gone back a few more times after that for various things.

When I told that story to one of my co-workers, he said, "Can you send her to teach my sons how to do that",...I simply replied, "It's the father's job to do that".

+1

There are a few "kids" who have had good parents and can actually do stuff for themselves. If there's any justice in the world, they will be running things in a few years.

If not, we're going to be even more screwed than we are now.

In general ... regardless of age, many people are OK with being ignorant about a good number of things they simply don't find important. And yet other people are OK with being ignorant of just about anything.

Think about it ... How many Boomers and Gen-X'ers do we know that are not able to:

- Sign-on to a website

- Download forms from an Insurance website

- Order parts/products online

- Update computer software

- Replace computer USB peripheral

- Operate a mobile phone (much less a smart phone)

- Record a program on TV/Cable

- Operate a remote control

Pretty simple stuff, really. Claiming these aren't important to those Boomers and Gen-X'ers because they don't "need" to know them is precisely like poking fun of some millenial's ignorance of shoe polish.

What does it matter what we believe parents did or didn't teach these millenials? Fathers not teaching guy-fix-it-crap, mothers not teaching cooking/cleaning ... oh the stereotypes crack me up ...

Regardless of what our parents did or didn't teach us (if we had more than one or any, even), it's to every individual's benefit to increase their knowledge and broaden their horizons as they age and mature ... and not just shut down and blame parents for what their parents didn't teach them. And there is a whole bunch of sujects to be knowledgeable of.

So few of us know it all! :dopeslap::rofl:

I've seen people make an appointment, take time off work, and spend half the day at the dealership....to get a tail light bulb replaced.

:rofl::dopeslap::cry:

I had to laugh at that one. When I had my old BMW, I used to go into the BMW dealership in Newport Beach. One of the parts guys is an old-timer who really knows the old cars. So I'd go in there with this old greasy, rusty broken from my 325 and plop it down on the counter. He'd chuckle and disappear off into the back for the part. If he was out and I had to deal with one of the younger guys, I'd have to tell them what the part was and where it came from on the car so they'd know where to go look in the computer...so the computer could tell them where the part was in the back.

Standing there BS'ing with him, I'd hear the people talking with the cashier to pay for their service and retrieve their vehicles. Funny stuff. Service appointments for tail light bulbs, windshield wiper blades, etc.

TyTass,

It is nice to see that you are a supporter of Gen Y. But I respectfully disagree with your statement.

Also disagree with the notion of lack of parental guidance.

I see this first hand when trying to have my 14 y.o. son get involved with outdoor activities, anything in the garage/tool/ or skill a boy should be interested in at that age, such as camping, dirt bikes, ATV or even bicycles.

Electronics and technology has overtaken his interest, which mean he is bound to his room and his desk. He goes out with friends, interested in girls, School football, track and such but not in skill or adventure or outdoors.

I will not generalize or stereotype this generation Y, but it seems (with few exceptions) they can not exist without their phones and tablets. The need to got out of the house is limited; everything is ordered online and delivered. Fun and excitement is geared toward electronics/indoors.

As a parent, I can try all day long, but if he/she is not willing or wanting to learn the skill... example: replace a worn out faucet, or attempt fix something vs. blindly replacing.

If the drive to learn is not there, then it is a dead end.

In general ... regardless of age, many people are OK with being ignorant about a good number of things they simply don't find important. And yet other people are OK with being ignorant of just about anything.

Think about it ... How many Boomers and Gen-X'ers do we know that are not able to:

- Sign-on to a website

- Download forms from an Insurance website

- Order parts/products online

- Update computer software

- Replace computer USB peripheral

- Operate a mobile phone (much less a smart phone)

- Record a program on TV/Cable

- Operate a remote control

Pretty simple stuff, really. Claiming these aren't important to those Boomers and Gen-X'ers because they don't "need" to know them is precisely like poking fun of some millenial's ignorance of shoe polish.

What does it matter what we believe parents did or didn't teach these millenials? Fathers not teaching guy-fix-it-crap, mothers not teaching cooking/cleaning ... oh the stereotypes crack me up ...

Regardless of what our parents did or didn't teach us (if we had more than one or any, even), it's to every individual's benefit to increase their knowledge and broaden their horizons as they age and mature ... and not just shut down and blame parents for what their parents didn't teach them. And there is a whole bunch of sujects to be knowledgeable of.

So few of us know it all! :dopeslap::rofl:

Everyone should know how to do the basic things they need to function in life without injuring themselves or destroying expensive property. That means you need to know how to do laundry, clean your house, cook some basic meals, etc. If you drive, you need to know how to check your tire pressure and basic fluids and how to add air/basic fluids if necessary. You need to know how to change a tire. Etc. The specifics will vary depending on your situation...I have very little need to know how to navigate on public transit (though I do know how to do that) but someone who's unfortunate enough to live in a big city would need that skill.

Knowing how to load apps on a smartphone is a "nice to have" skill...for sure. It can make your life much easier. But if I have the choice of teaching my son how to replace a light switch or how to load an app? No contest.

You're not going to be stranded by the side of the road in the middle of the desert when it is 115 degrees because you didn't know how to replace a USB mouse. If you don't know how to change a tire, you could very well find yourself in that situation. You can ruin all of your clothes by washing a red shirt with your whites, but you're not going to ruin your TV if you don't know how to record Dancing With The Stars on your DVR.

As for shoe polish...if I'm wearing shoes that have to be polished, it means that something has gone horribly wrong in my life. (But I do know what shoe polish is and how to use it.)

My oldest daughter is 16 now. I'm going to teach her how to change a flat this weekend. I told her if she wants to drive, she needs to learn basic maintenance.

Funny stuff. Service appointments for tail light bulbs, windshield wiper blades, etc.
My father-in-law (pre-boomer, 83 yr old now) can't replace windshield wiper blades. For the past 30 years he comes over and has me do it. I think it really pisses him off that he has to do it but he's too cheap to let the dealer do it so he has to let "the boy" do it :grin:

My brother-in-law couldn't keep an air-cooled Beetle running and those are stone cold simple.

Some people just aren't mechanically adept.

My oldest daughter is 16 now. I'm going to teach her how to change a flat this weekend. I told her if she wants to drive, she needs to learn basic maintenance.

Absolutely.

Yes, you have a cell phone and roadside assistance. But the last time I called roadside, it was over an hour before they could get a truck to us, and we weren't even out in the boonies. Wait by the side of the road in 115F heat for an hour, or change the tire yourself and be back on the road in 10 minutes? Hmmmm...tough decision. :)

Assuming, of course, you have reception and can get a call out.

I hate the helpless gender stereotypes. Girls can't put oil in their cars. Guys can't do laundry or cook. etc. Screw that.

Funny stuff. Service appointments for tail light bulbs, windshield wiper blades, etc.
My father-in-law (pre-boomer, 83 yr old now) can't replace windshield wiper blades. For the past 30 years he comes over and has me do it. I think it really pisses him off that he has to do it but he's too cheap to let the dealer do it so he has to let "the boy" do it :grin:

If you get tired of that, you could always point him to one of the autoparts places that install blades for free (or does he get you to buy them as well?) :)

While it may be the parent's job, I can guarantee that his sons would have been much more apt to listen to a 17 year old girl than their old man ;)

TyTass,

It is nice to see that you are a supporter of Gen Y. But I respectfully disagree with your statement.

Also disagree with the notion of lack of parental guidance.

I see this first hand when trying to have my 14 y.o. son get involved with outdoor activities, anything in the garage/tool/ or skill a boy should be interested in at that age, such as camping, dirt bikes, ATV or even bicycles.

Electronics and technology has overtaken his interest, which mean he is bound to his room and his desk. He goes out with friends, interested in girls, School football, track and such but not in skill or adventure or outdoors.

I will not generalize or stereotype this generation Y, but it seems (with few exceptions) they can not exist without their phones and tablets. The need to got out of the house is limited; everything is ordered online and delivered. Fun and excitement is geared toward electronics/indoors.

As a parent, I can try all day long, but if he/she is not willing or wanting to learn the skill... example: replace a worn out faucet, or attempt fix something vs. blindly replacing.

If the drive to learn is not there, then it is a dead end.

I don't have a teenager of my own (son started school this week - on the second day of kindergarten I was informed by him that I didn't need to walk him to his room, and in fact he'd prefer to go alone...so "teenagerdom" is probably not as far off as I'd like), but I work with teens almost everyday, and have since I pretty much was one. While the cultural norm now is for teens to be net connected all the time, there are still those who are into outdoor pursuits, fixing up cars, building stuff, and generally raising hell in the traditional senses. Part of it is their peer group, part of it is their family, part of it is where they live and what they have time and space for, but a lot of it is just them.

My dad is a smart guy, but never taught me anything about cars or bikes or, outside of camping, any of the "guy" stuff stereotypically taught to boys by dads, and really neither did anyone else. I just decided I wanted to learn and then started breaking stuff...eventually I figured a few things out. By the time my son was four, he could identify and at least attempt to operate most hand tools, he's helped me - and I really do mean helped - doing things from plumbing to motorcycle and car maintenance to basic framing. He currently sleeps in a loft bed we built together, and before that he slept in a toddler bed he helped me build when he was two (though he doesn't remember that anymore).

He likes all that stuff, but he also likes playing chess and playing motorcycle racing games on my ipad. And all of that is to say, who the hell knows what he'll choose to do when he's older? I don't think it's a good idea to generalize anyone based simply on the generation they inhabit.

Hang in there -- it's an age/interest thing.

My now-nearly 22 yo son had little interest in garage stuff in the mid-teen years, but in the last couple years we've practically re-built his airhead, and he now *wants* to participate in the maintenance of his car. I've always used the "I supervise, you turn the wrenches" approach, as he seems to be much more "engaged" with the "hands-on" work. I also make him tell me "how/why," and only fill in where he hasn't been exposed to a concept before -- keeps his mind in gear.

(The biggest problem is he's strong as an ox -- I had to teach him how to use a torque wrench so he wouldn't rip the heads off bolts!)

The interest in online "stuff" (gaming, social media, etc.) is still there, but it's greatly diminished as he matures -- so you can cling to the hope that your son will emerge from the electronic cocoon some day, too! ;)

Dave McReynolds

My wife and I spend a lot of time backpacking, and have done so for most of our lives. It is remarkable that on the trails nowadays, the average age seems to be about 60. When we were young, the average age seemed to be 20's or 30's.

I don't have a teenager of my own (son started school this week - on the second day of kindergarten I was informed by him that I didn't need to walk him to his room, and in fact he'd prefer to go alone...so "teenagerdom" is probably not as far off as I'd like), but I work with teens almost everyday, and have since I pretty much was one. While the cultural norm now is for teens to be net connected all the time, there are still those who are into outdoor pursuits, fixing up cars, building stuff, and generally raising hell in the traditional senses. Part of it is their peer group, part of it is their family, part of it is where they live and what they have time and space for, but a lot of it is just them.

My dad is a smart guy, but never taught me anything about cars or bikes or, outside of camping, any of the "guy" stuff stereotypically taught to boys by dads, and really neither did anyone else. I just decided I wanted to learn and then started breaking stuff...eventually I figured a few things out. By the time my son was four, he could identify and at least attempt to operate most hand tools, he's helped me - and I really do mean helped - doing things from plumbing to motorcycle and car maintenance to basic framing. He currently sleeps in a loft bed we built together, and before that he slept in a toddler bed he helped me build when he was two (though he doesn't remember that anymore).

He likes all that stuff, but he also likes playing chess and playing motorcycle racing games on my ipad. And all of that is to say, who the hell knows what he'll choose to do when he's older? I don't think it's a good idea to generalize anyone based simply on the generation they inhabit.

Here's Steven (at 2) "helping" in the garage. He asked for a screwdriver so I gave him a phillips. He headed straight for the car and started searching everything at eye level until he found something that the screwdriver would fit. It happened to be the front marker lens.

Now at 6 he loves his tablet and video games, but he also loves helping in the garage, going to the hardware store, helping around the house, shooting, riding his bike (he's done a few 15+ mile rides and one 25 miler), riding his dirt bike, etc.

StevenGarage.jpg

Yeah, my grandfather used to complain that this younger generation didn't know how to shoe a horse or dig a privy...what is the world coming to?

Totally different situation. The average person today will never have any occasion to shoe a horse or dig a latrine.

Everyone who drives could have a flat, low oil, etc.

Everyone doesn't need to be a master mechanic, but I'd put checking fluids and tire pressure, adding fluids and changing tires in the same category as adding fuel: If you drive, you need to know how to do it.

There's no problem if you choose to pay someone else to do it, but there's no reason to have to sit helplessly by the side of the road in bad weather for 2 hours with no cell coverage waiting for someone who isn't a rapist/mass murderer to stop and help because you don't know how to change a tire. And there's no reason to seize an engine because you didn't know how to check the oil and didn't know what to do when the low oil pressure light comes on. Or to destroy an engine because you put antifreeze in the crankcase instead of the radiator. (All of which has happened to people I know.)

[

Here's Steven (at 2) "helping" in the garage. He asked for a screwdriver so I gave him a phillips. He headed straight for the car and started searching everything at eye level until he found something that the screwdriver would fit. It happened to be the front marker lens.

Now at 6 he loves his tablet and video games, but he also loves helping in the garage, going to the hardware store, helping around the house, shooting, riding his bike (he's done a few 15+ mile rides and one 25 miler), riding his dirt bike, etc.

StevenGarage.jpg

That's a great picture! My son, Jeremiah, does the same thing with socket wrenches, so when I'm working on something in the garage I have to be careful that he's not behind me dismantling something else! (He's better about that now, but at like 3 or 4, he had a tendency to loose axle nuts on bikes {motorized and human powered}.)

Despite having a balance/push bike and doing well on that from a young age, he took awhile to get away from the training wheels on his 16" bike - but he really wanted to ride on the esplanade downtown (which we wouldn't let him do w/training wheels). As soon as the wheels came off we went down there and headed toward a local amusement park/wildlife area thinking when he got tired he could ride on my bike and we'd tow his back home. He ended up riding eight miles that day - he insisted on continuing until he was so tired his balance was gone. A year later he can outlast all but one of his grandparents and can make any of our regular around town trips... though I don't think he's got a 25 mile range yet.

I proudly recall most of this stuff.http://www.pinterest.com/paperoasis/baby-boomer-memories/

I proudly taught my son how to wrench, my daughter though has no clue.

[

StevenGarage.jpg

That's a great picture! My son, Jeremiah, does the same thing with socket wrenches, so when I'm working on something in the garage I have to be careful that he's not behind me dismantling something else! (He's better about that now, but at like 3 or 4, he had a tendency to loose axle nuts on bikes {motorized and human powered}.)

Despite having a balance/push bike and doing well on that from a young age, he took awhile to get away from the training wheels on his 16" bike - but he really wanted to ride on the esplanade downtown (which we wouldn't let him do w/training wheels). As soon as the wheels came off we went down there and headed toward a local amusement park/wildlife area thinking when he got tired he could ride on my bike and we'd tow his back home. He ended up riding eight miles that day - he insisted on continuing until he was so tired his balance was gone. A year later he can outlast all but one of his grandparents and can make any of our regular around town trips... though I don't think he's got a 25 mile range yet.

:Cool:

Steven had the balance bike at 18 months and picked it up quickly. But I couldn't get him to try a pedal bike without training wheels. Eventually he rode a 12" with training wheels for a few months. Then I took them off. He needed help getting started, but once he was going, he was fine...though he thought he needed help. He'd ride along yelling at me to "keep holding on" and I'd run along behind him pretending to hold on. lol. Eventually I got Lisa to take some video and then we showed him that he was doing it by himself. From there he spent a little while on a 16" bike before we moved him up to his current 20" Diamonback mountain bike with 6 speed rear. He struggled with the stupid twist-shifter at first, so we replaced it with a rapid fire shifter, which he has no problems with. We'd been doing short rides around the neighborhood for a while, then we did a 6-mile round-trip to target to get a toy he'd been asking for. After that, he thought he was hot stuff and started asking about longer rides. We'd done a 15 miler at the start of the summer. Then he spent a month with my parents in July. My Dad rides a recumbent trike and puts on some big miles (30+ is routine. 50-80 is not abnormal. He's done a 100 miler or two...all with plenty of hills.) so he and Steven did a bunch of riding with Steven on a POS Walmart 16" single-speed. Their longest was 11 miles I think, with some really good hills. Little maniac hit almost 20mph on a descent. When he got back home (Flying commercial by himself) the first thing he wanted to do was ride. So we headed out and he says "come on Daddy" then clicks all the way down to 6th gear and he's up out of the saddle and GONE. lol. We did a few buildup rides, then the big 25 miler from Yorba Linda to the beach. He had fun telling everyone at the beach (guys on beach cruisers who were just riding a mile or two up and down the beach.) how far he'd gone. His big birthday present was the low-end Garmin edge so he can track all of his stats. He's pretty funny about it.

Steven's started pestering us for a road bike "Because it'll be way faster than my mountain bike." Fuji and Diamonback both make 24" kid's road bikes with drop bars and skinny tires, but they're both still a bit tall and a bit long for him. Plus, the reach to the brakes is too far for him. Diamondback also makes a 20" bike similar to his mountain bike (also a diamondback) with a 6 speed rear, skinny tires, and a fixed fork. With rapid-fire shifters that would be a good bike for him but we're going to keep him on the mountain bike for now...though my bet is that when he gets to granddad's house next summer there will be a 24" road bike waiting for him. :)

He did the OC Kids triathlon last year (came in next to last due to the worlds slowest bike split...for some reason he decided that he was going to crash if he rode fast. The video is hysterical...he's literally riding as slow as he can possibly go.) and will be doing it again this year. He's also done a 1/4 mile kid's footrace twice and last year when he found out his (much older) cousins were doing the 5k turkey trot, he threw a fit and demanded that he be allowed to run. I told him he was welcome to go, but he had to do the whole thing on his own (I wasn't going to carry him.) We went out and did a few training run/walks and then I signed him up. Race day came and he did the whole thing on his own including a sprint finish. He's doing Race for the Cure this weekend and seems mildly annoyed that I didn't let him sign up for the Half Marathon that Lisa and I are doing in November. :P

Yeah, my grandfather used to complain that this younger generation didn't know how to shoe a horse or dig a privy...what is the world coming to?

I know how to dig a privy but don't ask me to shoe a horse. Those damn things hate me. :eek:

And I love horse... especially in tartare form for dinner! :rofl:

Craig,

I'm not supposed to be able to do that stuff?

Now you tell me...

"I've seen people make an appointment, take time off work, and spend half the day at the dealership....to get a tail light bulb replaced."

You didn't get fired did you Russell?

:grin:

Any stereotypes and generalizations about age and ability are worthless becasue of the exceptions and outliers.

Paul could ride rings around most of us.

My 23 m.o. grandson takes things apart and examines how things work.

Some baord members sons have created thier own brewing companies that all ages can enjoy.

Kakugo,

38?

I've got boots older than that.

:)

Rude or out of touch comes in all ages and shapes as does nice, competent, and inspiring.

Judging a book by the cover or age can be wrong as often as right.

Best wishes.

"Operate a remote control"

Shoot, when I was a kid, I was the remote control: "Hey, dipstick, switch it to 4."

I have many other fond memories of my childhood....

"Operate a remote control"

Shoot, when I was a kid, I was the remote control: "Hey, dipstick, switch it to 4."

I have many other fond memories of my childhood....

I still call the TV remote the "clicker" to this day. Zenith Space Command rocks.

When I was in my dorm days I had the zenith space commander portable that weighed about 500lbs. Cost me $15. When I couldn't find the puncher, I could shake my keychain and it would change channels. Came in handy while watching Andy Griffith and the Stooges.

Back to the subject...overhauled my first powerglide transmission when I was 12. Had to have some help, but grew up working on anything that was broken. Now...I pay someone to clean my windows and I end up working on other peoples crap.

Any stereotypes and generalizations about age and ability are worthless becasue of the exceptions and outliers.

Depends. If the goal is 100% accuracy, then yeah...generalizations are worthless. But that's not the goal.

Absolutely there are some exceptions, but they are just that...exceptions.

Craig,

I'm not supposed to be able to do that stuff?

Now you tell me...

I was just broad-brushing Boomers and and Gen-X'ers the way others were broad-brushing Gen Y'ers to illustrate the point you make below.

Rude or out of touch comes in all ages and shapes as does nice, competent, and inspiring.

Judging a book by the cover or age can be wrong as often as right.

Agreed, though I'm sure you didn't mean to imply a 50/50 relationship (surely just an issue of word choice).

Depends. If the goal is 100% accuracy, then yeah...generalizations are worthless. But that's not the goal.

Absolutely there are some exceptions, but they are just that...exceptions.

But what then is the point ... justifying this particular generalization OR is it talking about the importance of self-sufficiency (especially around vehicles)?

But what then is the point ... justifying this particular generalization OR is it talking about the importance of self-sufficiency (especially around vehicles)?

It is both.

The status quo is: replace rather than maintain or repair.

In my original post I bring up shoe polish/wax.

I tend to care for my thing - apply wax to leather shoes to keep it from cracking, keep it water proof and extend its life. It also looks better shiny.

But even around my family I see that when things (shoes) get dirty or relatively worn, it is easier to toss and replace then attempt to clean and care for it.

Am I being naive thinking that the current generation Y, belongs in a later category of toss and replace?

The point of my original post was that the young fellow did not recognize a can of shoe polish, but I am sure he has shoes or boots made of leather.

Yes there was some poking fun involved, I did not make the post out of anger :)

Am I being naive thinking that the current generation Y, belongs in a later category of toss and replace?

The point of my original post was that the young fellow did not recognize a can of shoe polish, but I am sure he has shoes or boots made of leather.

Yes there was some poking fun involved, I did not make the post out of anger :)

With many consumer goods being cheap to replace and relatively long-lasting, it doesn't make any sense to mess around with maintenance or repairs.

For me...I buy my "dress" shoes for work (We're business casual, so these aren't real hideous, shiny, hard-soled, uncomfortable, and impractical dress shoes) on sale for about $40. I wear them until they have holes in the soles. The leather upper generally doesn't degrade much during that time. When they wear out, I throw them away because they're only $40 and I got 3-4 years out of them. I can't see where polishing would be worth my time since the upper isn't what wears out first anyway. I could have them re-soled I suppose but it's just easier (and probably cheaper) to ditch them and buy new ones. If I was buying really expensive shoes, the tipping point would change but I don't.

Not everything falls into that category, of course. I know people who buy new bicycles when their bikes start shifting unreliably...rather than spending 5 minutes adjusting the cable tension and spraying some lube on the chain/driveline.

If the generalities apply (generally :Cool: ) then they can be useful when you're working out how to interact with a particular group.

For example, in business, we're learning that the current generation of young adults does not care if you have kick-ass phone service with industry-leading on-hold times. They don't even care if you have a good, useful website. They want to do business with you via a smartphone/tablet app. If they need to interact with you, they want to do it via chat.

Does that apply in every case? Of course not. But it is generally true and if you don't recognize that and adapt your business model, you're going to be left behind.

Younger employees tend to be much more comfortable and productive working in a mobile/remote environment and using online collaboration tools than older employees. If you want to attract and retain the best young talent, you need to figure out how to take advantage of that.

If you're a car company and you're dealing with a group of buyers who are more likely to buy the latest model because the one from 2 years ago doesn't have blue teeth and a smartphone-integrated electric butt-wiper you're going to make and market different cars than if you're dealing with a group of buyers who wants a car that's reliable and has a low long-term operating cost in a high-miles use case.

Understanding that people are the way they are is really valuable...but of course the big win is figuring out WHY they're the way they are so you can work out the best ways to interact.

One other thing...several people have said "my kid/young people aren't interested in _____."

Interest has nothing to do with knowledge or ability. I have no interest in doing laundry, but I know how. I have no interest in plunging a toilet, but I know how.

Just because your kid isn't interested in working on cars doesn't mean you shouldn't still teach them how to change a tire, check/add oil, etc. Likewise...just because they're not interested in becoming a chef doesn't mean that you shouldn't still teach how to function in the kitchen and how to make a few basics without burning the house down or getting salmonella.

R

If the generalities apply (generally :Cool: ) then they can be useful when you're working out how to interact with a particular group.

For example, in business, we're learning that the current generation of young adults does not care if you have kick-ass phone service with industry-leading on-hold times. They don't even care if you have a good, useful website. They want to do business with you via a smartphone/tablet app. If they need to interact with you, they want to do it via chat.

Does that apply in every case? Of course not. But it is generally true and if you don't recognize that and adapt your business model, you're going to be left behind.

Younger employees tend to be much more comfortable and productive working in a mobile/remote environment and using online collaboration tools than older employees. If you want to attract and retain the best young talent, you need to figure out how to take advantage of that.

If you're a car company and you're dealing with a group of buyers who are more likely to buy the latest model because the one from 2 years ago doesn't have blue teeth and a smartphone-integrated electric butt-wiper you're going to make and market different cars than if you're dealing with a group of buyers who wants a car that's reliable and has a low long-term operating cost in a high-miles use case.

Understanding that people are the way they are is really valuable...but of course the big win is figuring out WHY they're the way they are so you can work out the best ways to interact.

Russell ... well played, mate! Well played. :P

Archived