IGNORED

I "crashed" my RT!

BitScribbler

Arriving at a hold-up in traffic, I decided I was annoyed by the digital speedo, so went through the menus to turn it off. This was accessible because I was stopped and in neutral.

Unfortunately, the traffic started flowing before I could implement the change, so I had to set off while in a menu that's not accessible while riding. Pushed and twirled to exit out.

*Crash*!!

Instruments go blank, needles to zero, I think this is the BMW equivalent of the BSOD! The bike continued to run perfectly, and the instrument panel did a re-boot, and in a few seconds normal service was resumed.

I unhooked my battery to add tender leads and my service light came on when I started the bike. A shutdown and restart fixed it. :thumbsup:

Glad you weren't hurt in the crash! :D

Pat

Obviously not a scenario covered in BMW's software testing. Glad to hear that it was not catastrophic (i.e. the bike kept functioning) and that the software recovered quickly.

*Crash*!!

Instruments go blank, needles to zero, I think this is the BMW equivalent of the BSOD! The bike continued to run perfectly, and the instrument panel did a re-boot, and in a few seconds normal service was resumed.

This is not an RTW-specific problem. My K16 did precisely the same thing when I was using the MultiController -- at 70+ mph on an Interstate!

Bike continued running as if nothing happened while the instrument cluster rebooted. The only annoying thing was that I lost most of my presets, and some I could not rest until after an ignition off/on cycle at the next gas stop.

Definitely weird. Hasn't happened since that one time 4 months ago.

*Crash*!!

This is not an RTW-specific problem. My K16 did precisely the same thing when I was using the MultiController -- at 70+ mph on an Interstate!

Bike continued running as if nothing happened while the instrument cluster rebooted. The only annoying thing was that I lost most of my presets, and some I could not rest until after an ignition off/on cycle at the next gas stop.

Definitely weird. Hasn't happened since that one time 4 months ago.

Yes, mine lost my settings too. I guess it doesn't just reboot; it actually performs a factory reset in a fallback attempt to fix what caused the error.

I have not had this problem with the new RT but it had happen a few times on my previous 2009 RT riding and losing everything, no speedo no tack, just a blank screen, lasted a minute or so and everything came back. I brought the bike back to the dealer and they were never able to find anything wrong with it.

Archived