IGNORED

How much Brake fluid needed

Bernie

I just finished flushing my brake system for the frist time. I used about 12 oz for the front and rear brake system. The bike is a 2000 R1100RT.

Is that enough fluid for a flush? I did not realise that this system only hold's a few ounces of brake fluid.

Or did I do something wrong? confused.gif

It came out clear. They feel ok. There is good pressure at the levers, but with enough force you can pull it almost to the handle bar, maybe 0.5 inch. I also did not realise that the bleeder fittings would leak at the treads during bleeding, but it all makes sense now. I will know for sure when I get it on the road. But first I have to finish the 12K service.

Yeah, they should be firm. Did you bleed the ABS module under the tank. I'm not sure exactly how the 1100 series are done, but I think there is another bleed point there.

I also just finished a full brake fluid flush on my 2004 1150RT, control circuts and wheel circuts for both front and rear. I used exactly one 12 oz bottle of brake fluid. The fluid ran clear in each circut and no bubbles. The instructions I had stated you may need as much as three bottles but one was just enough for me.

Alien_Hitchhiker

Bernie, There is an excellent article by Gary Smith in the February Owners News on oilhead brake bleeding.

I've done several bleeds on my 2000 1100RT. Volume of fluid sounds about right. I have never noticed, however, any leaking of fluid around the bleeder threads. Makes me wonder if air might have been pulled into the calipers via the same route, which would explain your being able to pull the lever all the way back. You might have loosened the bleeders too much, only takes about 1/4 turn.

There are two bleeders under the gas tank, right on top of the ABS unit. One is for the rear circuit and one for the right.(Completely seperate, unlinked front and rear units - a real advantage to '00 and earlier oilheads,IMO.) You bleed these just like you do the calipers.

There were no bubbles in the fluid during bleeding.

The problem with that article is that I always get my magazines after everybody else. I guess my mailman wants to read it frist. grin.gif

I find out next week, after I change the defective oil pressure switch.

... I have never noticed, however, any leaking of fluid around the bleeder threads....

The literature with my speed bleeders indicates the maker will sell you a bottle of some kind of sealant to replace the special material on the bleeder threads. Apparently the bleeders come with a sealant coating on the threads, which can wear off. They state that the sealant replacement material is offered particularly for use on the track, where brake fluid may be renewed very frequently.

I spoke to several people, including BMW mechanics about the leaking around the treads of the bleeder fittings, during the bleeding process. This appears to be normal if the fittings are opened more then a 1/4 turn. I think the main thing is that after bleeding, there are no leaks anywhere. clap.gif

Archived