IGNORED

Mixing tyres

gadgetgaz

My R12RT has a fairly new Metzeler on the back and the front is nearly shot. I would like to try Michelin Pilots because there are lots of good reports.

Will there be any negatives to me putting the Pilot on the front with the Metz on the rear?

ShovelStrokeEd

I would say no, so long as the rear tire is still in pretty good shape.

I have mixed brands before, BT010 front, MEZ6 rear on one occasion and MEZ6 front with a Pilot Road rear. There was a difference in the turn-in feel, which a lot of folks mistake for a handling difference, but when pushing hard (to the edge of the rear and only a small chicken strip on the front) the bike felt about the same. Even there, I wasn't on the ragged edge of traction, no wheelspin from the rear coming out of corners and none of that dippng of the inside bar that presages a front wheel slide.

IMHO where you can get in trouble is mixing types of tire. Most modern sport touring tires are pretty similar in configuration and shape. Even pure sport tires like the M1 or the Pilot Powers are pretty similar. I wouldn't like to put on a rear tire designed for a HD and pair it with a sporting front (rim sizes are different anyway) but the squarer section and much stiffer side wall of the HD tire would probably lead to some strange behavior.

Archived