IGNORED

Hand grips

TracerBullet

Has anyone swapped out the hand grips?

My 04 RT had the best grips ever. They were the 18 rib versions. I can't find them on a couple of sites I looked at but I would like to change the current ones on my 14.

Any ideas?

It looks like these still exist as I could find them on Wunderlich, however the reviews seem very mixed. Any other options or are all you folks happy with the OEM ones?

Morning T.B.

I haven't yet changed grips on the new waterhead bike but it is really no different than on the older oilhead/hexhead/camhead bikes.

Those rubber grips are glued on OVER the grip heating elements so they have to be VERY CAREFULLY pealed back then cut off WITHOUT DAMAGING the thin heating wires under them.

Then the new grip rubbers worked on using grip glue or hair spray.

It's not rocket science but not real easy either, like on bikes without heated grips.

• 4 weeks later...
I also don't like the small diameter grips, Grip Puppies look good, not sure about the Grip Buddies, wrapping something around seems like it could go wrong. Anybody purchased Grip Puppies in the US? Should be these guys http://www.bestrestproducts.com

but they don't list them.

+1 -- I've been looking for a couple pairs, too.

I have Grab-On brand grip covers on the V STrom and put a set on the new RT. I missed the most excellent factory grips that were on my '04 RT. Also felt the small grips on the new RT were not as comfortable.

I took the grip covers back off the RT. They just give a numb feel to the bike. They did make it easier to use the turn signal switch. I am learning to relax my grip a bit and now the smaller diameter seems better. Just needed to get used to them I guess.

OK they worked just fine, 4.25" x 1.25" and they just slide over with a little effort and a trace of talcum powder. Recommended is hairspray but I have found that hairspray melts when the heated grips are on. Not too much talc (the bike smells nice as well)

The Rocketman

I just received and installed a set of Grip Buddies http://originalbeemerbuddies.com/ on Saturday. Went for a 250 mile ride Sunday, and I must say I'm pleased. Grip position is much more comfortable and relaxed compared to the relatively narrow stock grips on my '09RT; the "buzziness" on the throttle grip is gone; the heat comes through 100% (takes a few more seconds to get there, but once its there there's no difference comparing the grip heat with, or without the Buddies); and my very smooth leather gloves no longer slide on the grips due to the "shark-skin" finish. Overall for $25 I'm pleased.

I just received and installed a set of Grip Buddies http://originalbeemerbuddies.com/ on Saturday. Went for a 250 mile ride Sunday, and I must say I'm pleased. Grip position is much more comfortable and relaxed compared to the relatively narrow stock grips on my '09RT; the "buzziness" on the throttle grip is gone; the heat comes through 100% (takes a few more seconds to get there, but once its there there's no difference comparing the grip heat with, or without the Buddies); and my very smooth leather gloves no longer slide on the grips due to the "shark-skin" finish. Overall for $25 I'm pleased.

+1

Good to hear. Mine are in the garage waiting for installation.

The Rocketman

The instructions say to stick them on, and then roll them under the grips, then over the back and top, and secure the Velcro. There is a video on their site that does it opposite. I called the owner, and he said he likes it the way it was in the printed instructions you got with them, as it looks neater when done. I agree.

A suggestion, install them first without peeling off the glue protector, to be sure you have the seam in a comfortable place. Then go for the final install. I did one I thought was right, but it ended up wrong. Was able to pull it off slowly and carefully and lower it about 1/8", and still lost of none of the sticky stuff. The 5 and 7 o'clock positions on the instructions were pretty accurate, but you can fine tune it for your fit if you do a dry run first.

First thing I did was to add Grip puppies to mine, as the smaller diameter of the grips just isn't my cup of tea.

An exact same grip set from www.beemerboneyard.com for $9, less than half!

20141029_214258.jpg

Grips9.jpg

Archived