IGNORED

One issue to be aware of if you go for a custom seat rebuild

BarryBeemer

I was going to post this under product reviews, but it apparently applies only to the 2014 RT so here it is.

Had a ride in appointment at Russell Day-Long since about May. Thankfully, my shock was replaced and I was back on the road prior to my September 4th appointment.

I absolutely love the seat. My seatbuilder, Chris, did an outstanding job. Just put 3,000 miles on the new seat taking the long way from their shop to San Diego.

There is just one issue and it has to do with the heated seat. Yes, the heat works, but....it is so dang hot even on the low setting, that I can't have it on more than a few minutes in 40 degree air temps. I spoke with the folks at Russell just now and they explained that this is now a known issue. Apparently, the factory seat heat pad is sandwiched deeper in the foam than on earlier models. Russell removes the heat pad and reinstalls it on top of the seat and puts a thin layer of "scrum" (not sure what it is) over the pad before putting the cover on the seat.

They do a great job of standing behind their products. Their first suggestion was to install an in-line resistor to lower the heat. Not sure I want to start monkeying with electrons.

Secondly, they said to just send the seats back and they would install a layer of foam over the heat pad. Hopefully, that new layer would not effect the comfort of the seat. I'll "sit on it" for a while before I take any further action. Any thoughts? Anyone else have that issue? And yes, I did have the software recall work performed on the heated seat when the bike was in for the new shock. Thanks!

Great review Barry ! I do plan to do the RDL ,had one on my FJR rally bike.In the past I had a Rick Mayer seat on the LT no complaints. Rode a 07 RT loaner and the seat was like a rock the po must have been 300 lbs.

Confirming the seat software update......There is a bulletin out on the seat. It is a simple software update. Until I got mine updated I had the same "hot pants."

Archived