IGNORED

TPS maladjustment?

Kermit Jackson

Kermit Jackson

I’ve got a question for the experienced if I may. I was told something yesterday that sounded a bit odd to me and I hoped to get some enlightenment.

I was told that a maladjusted TPS on an R1150RT caused both exhaust valves on one side to be ‘blowtorched’ pretty severely. I’m sure that the person didn’t believe me when I told him that I had never adjusted the TPS. I was under the impression that it was not necessary during normal maintenance on an 1150. I bought the bike used so I suppose that the previous owner may have fiddled with the TPS. I put 22,000 miles on the bike in about a year before this happened. The burnt valves seemed to go instantly. No warning at all, tooling along at 85 mph running fine one minute to barely running the next.

Does this sound right?

Thanks,

Kermit

No,

AFAIK the 1150 engines all had Motronic MA2.4 which 'learns' the TPS setting, no adjustment needed. I doubt very much that the exhaust valves on one side would go 'fubar' over a TPS setting. More than likely the valves were either set too tight or that cylinder was running very lean. Could have caused by a bad injector or a restricted fuel line on that side.

Mick

More than likely the valves were either set too tight or that cylinder was running very lean. Could have caused by a bad injector or a restricted fuel line on that side.

Dang ... that's a couple more things for the mechanically-hypochondriac-prone owner to worry about. My valves could FRY due to a dirty fuel injector, clogged fuel filter, inproperly operating fuel regulator, or some other problem that could lean out the bike. Thanks ... now I'll sleep GOOD tonight. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I vote for mid-adjusted valves; I hear it's the quickest way to fry your valves when you fall out-of-love with your Beemer. smirk.gif

You forgot to mention the Hall Sensor on a rainy day, the howl of a dying alternator belt at 36 k miles, the frigging spline (whatever that is?). And if that is not enough, you better get out there and synch your TBs so you can really frig things up!! After about 30 minutes on this forum, I need some prozac or at least a couple of jolts of the old the Bushmills!!!! <<<<<Softtail>>>>>>>> dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Archived