IGNORED

Black Wunderlich engine guards on 14' Quartz Blue RT?

paRTy

Thanks David, the chrome bars looks nice with the Ebony bike.

If you or anyone else finds a pic of the Quartz Blue bike with Wunderlich Black engine protection bars, that's what I'm thinking of doing. So far, I've found one pic, but it's not a good angle to see the bars to clearly.

Thanks.

I have the quartz blue with the chrome wunderlich bars, I will try and upload a picture

at the risk of sounding stupid... can anyone tell me how to upload pictures, thanks

• 2 months later...

I'm installing Wunderlich rear guards. To me the bolts aren't long enough holding the bars to the mount, they don't protrude past the nut. Anyone else notice this? Any comments?

Jay

I'm installing Wunderlich rear guards. To me the bolts aren't long enough holding the bars to the mount, they don't protrude past the nut. Anyone else notice this? Any comments?

Jay

I might be misunderstanding, but what good are unused threads past the nut? As long as all the threads in the nut are engaged with the bolt, you have all the holding power possible.

Back in the day when I was an aeronautical engineer in the RAF we were taught that you needed two threads past the nut for safety reasons.

It's stuck with me these past fourty years so so since it learned it. :P

Back in the day when I was an aeronautical engineer in the RAF we were taught that you needed two threads past the nut for safety reasons.

It's stuck with me these past fourty years so so since it learned it. :P

I don't have your education but I learned the same from my mentors. Well see what Wunderlich has to say...

Thanks

Jay

• 1 month later...

I agree long bolts needed, or at the very least use some thread lock!

The size I was supplied with was correct according to Wunderlich. But the bolts aren't long enough. I measured everything, Wunderlich must of changed the thickness of something and didn't compensate in bolt length.

I contacted Wunderlich, sent pictures and measurements. Got a friendly response saying they would send it back to Germany, no update.

I purchased 4 Stainless steel 25mm bolts. I was disappointed with the hassle and $7 plus expense after the cost of bars. Wunderlich is offering help should I purchase anything else from them...

Jay

The size I was supplied with was correct according to Wunderlich. But the bolts aren't long enough. I measured everything, Wunderlich must of changed the thickness of something and didn't compensate in bolt length.

I purchased 4 Stainless steel 25mm bolts. I was disappointed with the hassle and $7 plus expense after the cost of bars. Wunderlich is offering help should I purchase anything else from them...

Jay

While having threads beyond the nut/tapped threads might give you a warm feeling of safety, they don't allow any more holding power to the assembly. If your supplied bolts left threads in the nut exposed that is different of course. It is quite possible that your stainless steel bolts will in fact shear easier than the factory supplied carbon steel from Wunderlich. So while you mean to do a good thing, it could compromise the ability of the bar to work if the bike falls on it. Shearing the bolt is more likely than pulling it out of the threads....

Put some blue loctite on the lower front mounting bolts. I found the bolt on one of my engine bars coming loose after a few thousand miles without loctite.

Jay

While having threads beyond the nut/tapped threads might give you a warm feeling of safety, they don't allow any more holding power to the assembly. If your supplied bolts left threads in the nut exposed that is different of course. It is quite possible that your stainless steel bolts will in fact shear easier than the factory supplied carbon steel from Wunderlich. So while you mean to do a good thing, it could compromise the ability of the bar to work if the bike falls on it. Shearing the bolt is more likely than pulling it out of the threads....

I don't know the strength of the stainless steel bolts vs. the supplied ones but if they are suitable Wunderlich didn't say so. The following is the email I sent to them

The length is 20mm so I’m using the correct supplied bolt but it’s not long enough. By my measurement using a Wiha metric dial calipers the depth of the mount and bar (attached to the bike with one bolt) is 10.4mm, 2 washers at 1.6mm each and the nut at 8mm totals 21.60. I purchased 4 stainless steel 8X25mm at a cost of $7.70 plus the special trip into town. I don’t understand why you don’t supply the correct part, the bolt fit 100% to your parts (mounting plate & crash bar). I’ve attached pictures of the supplied bolt and of the installed stainless steel bolts.

It is common practice to go 2 tread length beyond the nut. In this case it didn't come to the bottom of the nut when tighten.

Jay

Put some blue loctite on the lower front mounting bolts. I found the bolt on one of my engine bars coming loose after a few thousand miles without loctite.

The supplied nuts have a nylon insert making it a locking nut. The nylon insert is at the bottom of the nut since the bolt isn't long enough the nylon insert isn't effective. I choice to replace the bolt with longer ones.

Jay

The length is 20mm so I’m using the correct supplied bolt but it’s not long enough. By my measurement using a Wiha metric dial calipers the depth of the mount and bar (attached to the bike with one bolt) is 10.4mm, 2 washers at 1.6mm each and the nut at 8mm totals 21.60.

I don't have these bars, but it seems to me that if you are exactly 1.6mm short, and the washers are 1.6mm thick each, you are using too many washers. Again, I don't have in install instructions in front of me, but that's what my layman eye is seeing.

Archived