IGNORED

RTW Battery Concern

tlc

I have one of the expensive BMW Canbus-compatible chargers. I kept it plugged into the accessory port on my '14 RTW. It seemed fine till a couple weeks ago. Now the charger gets to the "0-1/3" charged light, then goes no further. The charger also gets hot.

I thought something might be wrong with the charger, so I hooked a Battery Tender Plus directly to the battery. The light that indicates charging flashes, and it never gets to the storage stage.

I got an Optimate 4 charger last week and hooked it to the accessory port. It continually cycles between the Voltage Retention Test and Charging stages; it never gets to the Maintenance stage. Optimate tech support will not respond to my emails.

Voltage on the battery tests fine, and it gives no indication of being bad or weak. What could be causing this?

You say the voltage is fine, I hope you don’t have a charger connected when doing your reading. Is the voltage 12.8 or higher? You may want to take it to be tested (WalMart, Auto Zone will do), reading voltage is ok but a real load test could tell a different story. For all three chargers to have the same result something isn’t right…

Jay

Afternoon Tlc

Difficult to tell what you have going on there.

With the canbus charger & the Optimate charger going through your power outlet it might simply be the new waterhead automatic socket shut down -- from the riders manual--

" The motorcycle's onboard

electronics know when the

battery is fully charged. The

onboard socket is switched off

when this happens".

On the Battery Tender not working that sounds like a reverse hook up or a fuse/charger problem.

It could be a bad battery but if it starts the bike OK then it should be re-chargeable.

Remember the 2014 1200RT went to an AGM battery so your charger must be AGM compatible.

The voltage, without the charger, is almost 14.0. The BMW charger worked fine till a couple weeks ago -- about the time I had the shock replaced. Before then the charger would go through the stages of charge, then stay at the highest charge level. Now it stays at the 0-1/3 charge level. The Optimate cycles from charge to voltage retention test and back, without ever reaching the maintenance charge level.

Evening Tlc

If it worked OK UNTIL the shock replacement then I would suggest you talk to the dealer that did the work.

Maybe they didn't reconnect everything correctly.

How are you using the BMW charger? If through the power outlet then is it presently working correctly?

Did the dealer do some sort of firmware update when they had the bike?

Evening Tlc

If it worked OK UNTIL the shock replacement then I would suggest you talk to the dealer that did the work.

How are you using the BMW charger? If through the power outlet then is it presently working correctly?

I use the BMW charger through the front accessory port. I turn the ignition on, plug the charger into the port, power up the charger, then turn the ignition off.

I don't know whether the dealer performed a software update.

Evening Tlc

tlc:

I don't know if this will help, but I had a similar experience with the BMW expensive charger plugged into the fairing port.

Then I got an Optimate and plugged it into a lead connected to the battery instead of the fairing port. Now everything seems to be working properly.

By the way, the manual says the fairing port shuts down when the key is off. That might have something to do with your disappointing experience!

weston

The voltage, without the charger, is almost 14.0. The BMW charger worked fine till a couple weeks ago -- about the time I had the shock replaced. Before then the charger would go through the stages of charge, then stay at the highest charge level. Now it stays at the 0-1/3 charge level. The Optimate cycles from charge to voltage retention test and back, without ever reaching the maintenance charge level.

14.0 sounds like a reading taken just after removing the charger, you should wait an hour (should be high 12's low 13). What's strange to me you are getting a 14.0 reading the battery seems to be fully charged. You appear to be connecting the charger properly with the "dance" needed for the can bus. I'd try connecting directly to the battery just to be sure. You should have the battery tested it may be bad and can't reach the level needed to put the charger into float mode.

Good luck, I hope we are helping

Jay

I use the BMW charger through the front accessory port. I turn the ignition on, plug the charger into the port, power up the charger, then turn the ignition off.

Morning Tlc

Look on page 133 of your riders manual --

"The motorcycle's onboard

when this happens".

At 14 volts I would imagine the onboard electronics thinks the battery is fully charged & has turned the power outlet off.

Morning Tlc

Look on page 133 of your riders manual --

"The motorcycle's onboard

when this happens".

At 14 volts I would imagine the onboard electronics thinks the battery is fully charged & has turned the power outlet off.

That's interesting. The BMW charger seemed to be working fine till a couple weeks ago. I plugged it (rather than the Optimate) into the fairing socket last night, and it seems to be working again now! After a while the charger indicates "full charge", and it's staying there.

My dealer tried to test the battery, but his tester requires knowledge of a Yuasa battery number equivalent, and he cannot find a Yuasa model for a '14 RTW!

Archived