IGNORED

2012 1200RT overheating issues

Capt Ron

Has anyone had any overheating issues with the 2012 1200RT engine? Say in 98 degree heat stuck in traffic for an hour and you can't shut it off because the traffic is creeping along. Also a second question, I understand the 1200 RT police bike has an oil cooler fan. Can that be bought after market? Have a Harley Road King (don't beat me up too bad now) now and tired of the overheating issues.

Thanks in advance

I expect this to be transferred to Camheads in 5, 4, 3, ... :)

Neither my '09 or '12 RTs overheated in >100F temps commuting in the Wash., DC area (unlike my previous oilhead RT). In fact, on the '09 out of fear of overheating I installed the RT-P cooler with a manual switch but never had the need to use it. When I picked up the '12, I didn't bother with the expense or bother of installing the RT-P fan.

Blind Squirrel

My 2011 gets hot (but does not overheat) and eats oil on hot days when I have to sit in traffic. I have to pull over, shut it down, let it cool down some and add oil.

I can't imagine the temp gauge NOT going all the way hot. 98 degrees for an hour? I say that's normal for any air cooled engine. I don't imagine one could expect any other result than what your seeing. An hour.

My old '99 pegs the temp gauge when I putt along at fast walking speed watching the huge parking lot at Church during big events.

About every 20 minutes I go out on surface streets for a few minutes to bring the temp down. And that's October evenings.

The Police fan seldom comes on by sensor.

If you'll regularly get stuck in this type of traffic (for an hour) for piece of mind, get the fan and use a manual switch as mentioned above.

Don't fault the bike, anything with an air cooled motor will fare far worse than your BMW will.

My Z1, maybe 10 minutes, my Bonneville, 15 maybe.

98 degrees for an hour creeping along. There are a number of watercooled bikes that couldn't take that.

I've had my 2011 RT overheat on me once. Traffic was moving so slowly that we spent minutes between each small forward movement. By the tie I realized how hot the RT was and began shutting it off while waiting it already gotten very warm. I didn't have a problem while idling but each time I released the clutch and gave it gar to get moving, the engine would knock substantially. Fortunately this didn't go on long enough to do any damage to the engine.

• 1 month later...

My 2012 RT became very warm/overheated crossing a bridge, in heavy traffic, on the PCH. The traffic was crawling up the bridge, temps 85+, for about 15 minutes when the gauge went to near max. The bike started to idle roughly and become sluggish. I was surprised the temps shot up so fast but I was 2 up and loaded. One time the motor stalled. I hit the starter and heard the dreaded clikkkkkkkkkkk. I held my breath, gave it a couple seconds and hit the start again. She fired and caught. I contemplated bailing out of traffic on the bridge but then crested the rise. I shut the motor down and was able to paddle and coast my way down to the other side and cool off. Traffic broke up, I hit the starter and she fired up. Big relief. It has never happened again and I am still procrastinating about getting the police fan installed.

Morning Capt Ron

You need to define overheating.

If you just mean the temp gauge showing hot then they pretty well all do that.

If you mean the engine starting to rattle & sound like a cement mixer then THAT is actual overheating.

You have to keep in mind that your 2012 BMW boxer is both oil & air cooled. The temperature gauge reads on the cooling oil LEAVING the engine BEFORE it goes through the oil cooler, so (IF) the oil cooling system is working correctly you would expect the temperature gauge to read high.

Personally I would be more worried IF the temperature gauge didn't read high in high ambient stop & go conditions as that would mean the engine cooling system wasn't doing it's job & removing engine heat.

Most BMW boxers from the 1100, 1150 & 1200 run the temp gauge way up in similar conditions to what you are seeing. Just do a quick search on how many BMW boxer engine failures are reported on this or other BB's (almost 0) so obviously the temp gauge going up isn't failing engines.

Archived